GrinningPariah
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 18, 2019

AE2 SoundLink sidetone plays constantly, even when not in a call

I'm using a set of Bose AE2 SoundLink around-ear headphones on a 2017 macbook pro running High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G8030). 

Sometimes, the headset will just get locked in sidetone mode even though I'm not on a call or using the mic. The audio quality of my music drops through the floor and I suddenly start hearing every background noise in the room which, needless to say, is really annoying. 

Does anyone have any idea why this happens or how to easily turn the sidetone off when not using the mic?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: AE2 SoundLink sidetone plays constantly, even when not in a call

Hello GrinningPariah, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem with your SoundLink Around-Ear Headphones II.

I don't actually believe this to be sidetone. When taking calls, the Bluetooth profile will switch from Stereo to Headset or Handsfree profile. Once the call has ended, it should switch back to Stereo but it sounds like it is getting stuck connected to this profile.

With computers, there are many factors that can affect the Bluetooth connection as they are designed to connect to a multitude of different Bluetooth devices. I would recommend taking a look at our Computer Related Informational Post to gain some insight on the subject.

In addition to this, I would recommend ensuring that the headphones are running the latest available firmware. This can be done by visiting btu.bose.com on your computer. 

Also, a reset may be required on occasion to correct minor processors errors. This can be done by following these steps:

1. Power off your product, then wait 30 seconds
  2. Connect your product to a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait five seconds
  3. Disconnect the USB cable from the headset, then wait one minute
  4. Power on your product.

Does this issue only occur when connected to your MacBook Pro?

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

GrinningPariah
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 18, 2019

> I don't actually believe this to be sidetone. When taking calls, the Bluetooth profile will switch from Stereo to Headset or Handsfree profile. Once the call has ended, it should switch back to Stereo but it sounds like it is getting stuck connected to this profile.

The thing is, this isn't happening after calls, I don't really use the headset for calls very often. This most often happens when I first turn the headset on and connect it (eg when I get into work or back from a meeting). 

In addition to this, I would recommend ensuring that the headphones are running the latest available firmware. This can be done by visiting btu.bose.com on your computer. 

Done. No noticeable improvements.

Does this issue only occur when connected to your MacBook Pro?

It also happened occasionally with my previous work computer, which was running Win10. Was some kind of Dell laptop, probably a 2015 Latitude.  

Hello GrinningPariah,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this issue after updating. Could you confirm whether you also tried the product reset @Charlotte_G suggested? Do you perhaps have another computer that you could test with? 

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kindest regards,
Zoe C