Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rockn24x7
Participant
Registered since

Jun 12, 2020

AE2 Soundlink connection failures to Win10 PC

I have a pair of Bose AE2 Soundlink around-the-ear Bluetooth headphones that I have successfully used for a number of years now with my HP laptop.  They have suddenly stopped pairing/connecting to the laptop for no reason.  Recently, the laptop was updated with the MS Win10 May 2020 Update patch, and I am thinking something is missing from device/driver support for this product, since it occurred AFTER that was applied.  I did try to uninstall/install the drivers, along with clearing the device list via the headphone power button to no avail.  The headphones pair to two other BT devices without issue, hence my suspicion of the MS patch update.

Anyone else experiencing something similar to this as explained above?  Thanks in advance.

- rockn24x7

2 REPLIES 2
Jeff_G

Re: AE2 Soundlink connection failures to Win10 PC

Hello rockn24x7, 

Thanks for posting. Welcome to the Bose Community! 👋

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues pairing your headphones to your PC after updating the firmware. 

You mentioned you tried clearing the device list on the headphones, but have you tried removing the headphones from the paired device list on the headphones? You can do this on Windows 10: 

Start > Settings > Devices. 

Under audio, locate the headphones, click the name of them, click remove device

On the headphones, power them on, then hold the switch over to Bluetooth for around 5 seconds or until the LED on the headphones pulses blue.

On the PC, click Add Bluetooth or other device then follow the on-screen instructions. 

Be sure to let me know how you get on!

Thanks.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
rockn24x7
Participant
Registered since

Jun 12, 2020

Re: AE2 Soundlink connection failures to Win10 PC

Hello and thanks for your reply, Jeff_G!

Yes, I have removed the devices (there were two of them listed - Headset Bose AE2 Handsfree AG Audio, Headphones Bose AE2 Soundlink Stereo), and restarted the PC to refresh the device list.  I then depressed the BT switch for 10 seconds... It then said the list was cleared.  Still no pairing or connection.  When I tried to add a device in Win10, the headphones never showed up as a choice, as the headphones were telling me to select them on the "mobile device".

Next I decided to bite the bullet and do a Win10 restore point action (to a time prior to the Win10 update being installed), and guess what started working again?  The headphones were immediately able to properly pair and connect to my laptop!  Tried connecting / disconnecting several times to see if it would fail again, but it did not.  

I think there is a problem with the Win10 update being sent out, and I did see something on MS website about issues with devices not being "available" in it, and that MS was working on the issue.  However, there is no schedule (!) about what's being fixed or when/if it will occur.  I suspect IMHO that MS is purging out older device support and some of these won't make it... so for now I won't be loading this update, even though it's been deemed "critical" by various entities.  Just FYI, thanks!

-rockn24x7