ChrisJM
Participant
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

Amazon Music Unlimited and HD Audio device capability w/Bose NC700

I'm curious to know if others have noticed this behavior and if it may warrant reporting as a bug or if it is expected behavior:

So I have several pairs of headphones, some wired and some wireless. When using Amazon Music Unlimited, I like my music in Ultra HD (CD quality 16bit/44.1khz and above). The NC700 is capable of 24 bit/48khz with an optimal connection to a compatible device (an Iphone 11 pro max in my case). The Amazon app often reports an incorrect device capability that is not consistent. Sometimes it will report the device as 24-bit / 48 khz and other times, 16 bit / 44.1 khz. Sometimes the audio stream will play back at a lower rate. While there are many factors that influence this (signal strength, network conditions etc), My other wireless headphones do not exhibit this behavior. The other model (beats powerbeats pro) is capable of 24 bit / 48khz as well and always, without fail reports this to the Amazon app and all audio streams reliably play at the maximum rate possible. Now both headphones operate under pretty much identical conditions. I never stray more than a few feet away from the iphone, so wireless signal quality cannot be blamed here. I have gigabit internet service and the router in my home is a recent model (Netgear C7800) with full strength wifi and no walls between the iphone and router.

I wonder - is there some minor issue between the Amazon app and the Bose NC700? Why would the Bose suffer from this issue and not my other cheaper powerbeats wireless buds?

3 REPLIES 3
Jessie_O

Re: Amazon Music Unlimited and HD Audio device capability w/Bose NC700

Thanks for reaching out to us @ChrisJM

This is certainly strange behavior you have noticed with Amazon and I would be super curious to see if other people in the community are experiencing the same issue. Can you tell me if you have experienced this issue with any other music services that provide this HD audio? 

I look forward to hearing from you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
ChrisJM
Participant
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

The only HD music service I subscribe to is Amazon Music Unlimited. I also have Spotify, but they do not offer a lossless compressed stream. I also stream music from my Plex media server on my home network. Most of the music in my library has been ripped from my CD collection and therefore, is 16 bit, 44.1khz. I do also have a number of albums purchased from HDTracks.com. Many of those albums are considered "ultra hd" at 24 bit, 48khz and above. The Plex player only reports the bit depth and sample rate of the source music files and not the destination device capability.

Keith_L

Thanks for letting us know that ChrisJM!

Do you have any other devices that you run the Amazon music app on? It would be useful to know if the same change in audio rate while listening using the headphones on another device, or if it only happens when connected to the iPhone.

One thing that would definitely be worth trying is clearing the pairing between the headphones and your iPhone, then establishing a fresh connection between the two. To clear the pairing on your headphones, turn them on then press and hold the power/Bluetooth button on the headset until you hear a notification. You'll also need to forget the headphones on the Bluetooth device list on your iPhone before reconnecting to the headphones.

Once they are reconnected, try streaming audio from the Amazon app and let me know if you still see the rate changing.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!