Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 4, 2019

Android Bluetooth Stutter - Bose 700 Noise Cancelling Headphones

I got a pair of Bose® 700 Noise Cancelling Over-Ear Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, and am running into an issue when I pair them to multiple devices.  

I'll be connected to both my TV and my Android smartphone (Pixel 3a) so I can hear the TV and also get alerts through my phone, or control the TV with Google Assistant.  The trouble kicks in when my phone has been sitting inactive for about 5 minutes - the audio from the TV starts to stutter on and off.  As soon as I unlock my phone, the stuttering stops, but if I leave it locked for about 5 more minutes, the stutter starts back up again. 

Since the headphones automatically connect to the phone, my only solution is to turn off my phone's bluetooth.  Once the headphones are only connected to the TV, there are no connection issues.

Has anyone else had this problem or found a solution?

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: Android Bluetooth Stutter - Bose 700 Noise Cancelling Headphones

Hi @TheMoldBottle and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm sorry to hear of the unusual experience you've had with your headphones here and would be happy to look into this for you.

Firstly, can I ask if you experience this with any 2 devices you have connected (such as if you use a different mobile device with the TV, or if you use 2 mobile devices), or if this is just the TV and Pixel 3a?

If this is with just your TV and phone, or is with the TV and any other device, can I ask for the model number of your TV please?

If this is with just the Pixel 3a and any other device, can I ask for the android version this is running?

Lastly, if this is with any 2 devices you have connected, can I ask for the firmware version of the headset, which can be found from the Bose Music app?

Following the above, can i ask if this is 5 minutes of inactivity or does this play whenever you receive a notification to that device (such as if you ask a friend to message you while you have these connected)?

I hope to hear back from you!

Liam W - Community Support

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 7, 2019

I have a similar problem with a 700 headset that I just bought in the last week.

I had paired the headset with and NVidia Shield, a Firestick TV and an android phone.

Whenever I turned on the headset it would try to connect to ANY available device with which it had already been paired and stuttering will occur.

Unpairing from the other (unused) devices has cured the problem and I can now listen very happily with no stutter.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 4, 2019

Hi Liam!

Thank you for reaching out!  I was only having the issue when connected to the phone and a the TV - a Samsung Frame.  I don't typically have it connected to multiple devices, but could test a few different combinations out. 

Fortunately I came up with a solve over the weekend.  The stuttering would only start after the phone had been inactive for 5 minutes, and I realized I also had the 'auto off' on the headphones set to 5 minutes.  Once I set auto-off to 'never,' the stuttering stopped.  The Phone is running on  Android 10.

Alex

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hello TheMoldBottle,

Thanks for getting back in touch to share your solution this is very helpful for other community members who might be experiencing the same difficulty. 

Should you need anything else then please get in touch, have a great day!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 15, 2019

Same Prob here, i have the last firmware and i have selected "never" on Auto-OFF but this isn't working for me, the prob for me begin after 5-10 sec that i lock my oneplus 7 pro (Android 10).

Could you please help me to find the problem?

Thanks a lot.

Highlighted

Hello Palgitus, 

Thanks for reaching out to the community. I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing some audio stuttering once your OnePlus 7 Pro is locked. 

We appreciate that you attempted the previously suggested troubleshooting, we apologise this issue persists. 

I would firstly suggest performing a reset of your headphones. Instruction on how to do this can be found below.

• Disconnect all cables from your headphones
  • Connect the larger end of the USB charging cable to a wall charger or a computer that is powered on
  • On the headphones, press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button while connecting the smaller end of the USB cable to the right earcup. The Power LED should quickly blink twice
  • Once connected, release the Power/Bluetooth button after two seconds

Following this, can you determine if the issue occurs with another Bluetooth enabled phone.

Please let us know how you get on. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 15, 2019

I'm sorry i've missed a part.

my problem is:

1) i'm connected to my Op7 and to my laptop

2) if i listen something with my laptop audio begin stuttering

3) if i listen something with my Op7 audio it's ok

its such how the Op7 with android 10 send some signal.

As said in the first post of this topic it happens only if i'm connected to both devices if i disconnect the Op7 audio from my laptop is perfect.

Ps. i've tried your advises but the problem it's still here.

Thanks again.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 4, 2019

Sadly I'm still experiencing the issue as well - I thought at first setting auto-off to "never" had fixed the issue but it came right back.  I just gave up and only connect to one thing at once now, but a fix from Bose would be awesome!

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 5, 2019

Same issue here. When connected to my Pixel 3 Phone and either my work laptop or home desktop audio is crackling/distorted until I disable Bluetooth on my phone then audio works as expected.