SCovington
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 5, 2019

Any way to use the A20 without the microphone?

I had a QC35 that I managed to lose by leaving on a plane recently. I was looking at options for replacing it and noticed the A20 which is made of metal and appears to have even better noise cancellation and is really well-built. I'd *really* like using this instead. Only problem is, it seems to have a huge cable with a control panel running from the mic, which can be removed.

If the mic is removed, is the headset still functional? I don't really want to lug this cable and remote around. The QC35 is good, but the A20 is better.

If not, maybe Bose should consider making a wireless version of the A20 for people who simply want a better version of the QC35 and are willing to pay for it? Considering your customer base is interested in premium audio products and frequently shells out stacks unto that end, and you already make the A20 for pilots, this seems like a synergistic product opportunity. 

Bonus points if it says "Aviation Headset" on it. Please leave the "aviation" thing. I'll pay extra for that. Smiley Happy

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Any way to use the A20 without the microphone?

Hi there @SCovington , and welcome to the Bose Community!

I apologise for the confusion, but the microphone for our A20 headset is not removable. This product is designed for pilots, so the cable cannot be removed. Cutting out this microphone would, other than be a void of the warranty, may cause the headphones to stop working altogether.

If you are not intending to use the headset to fly aircraft, we would advise that you look at our new NC700 headphones, which have a strong noise-cancelling as you would want here.

With that said, I have passed the feedback on to you for a more heavy-grade headset aimed at the general consumer.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any questions at all!

Liam W - Community Support

Highlighted
paulnz
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 19, 2019

Re: Any way to use the A20 without the microphone?

Hi - at fear of dredging up an old topic, I'd second the original posters comments about how good it would be if the A20 could easily pull double duty as a standard noise cancelling bluetooth headphone.

I use my A20 for GA, and also have a QC35 which I use mostly when I travel internationally.  Here's where it gets tricky though...  When I travel, I often do some GA flying in the country I'm in, so I have to carry both my A20 and my QC35 whereas it would be so much better if I could just carry the one.

I know it's not currently possible, but surely something to think about for the future?  

NB:  The response about the mic being non-removable isn't quite correct. It actually can be removed in order to swap it from one side of the headset to the other - although the headset will be non functional whilst it is removed of course.