Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 22, 2020

Are the Bose 700 Headphones the worst product Bose has ever produced?

I've worn nothing but Bose headphones since sometime around 2004. I've owned every top of the line noise cancelling product they've made since then. I purchased the Bose 700 Headphones about 5 months ago and I'm stunned that this is an actual Bose product. Here are a few of my complaints.

Connectivity. They simply won't reliably connect - to anything. I get them to connect intermittently to phones, tablets, and computers, but often they simply won't connect - even when they show as connected. Even when they connect to the phone, they will rarely ever connect to the application (iOS or Android). 

Ease of use. I honestly think the controls were designed by a deranged madman. I've gone through the manual, the online help, the app, etc. Swipe here, tap here, etc. Its extremely counter intuitive and the control surfaces are very, very imprecise rarely providing the desired output from the touch input. There is no reset button - anywhere. 

Comfort. Any pair of headphones will get uncomfortable after a while but these are like having two pine cones strapped to the side of my head. Almost no give to the foam earpieces and and adjustment mechanism that doesn't appear to have been designed for an actual human head. These things are more than uncomfortable, they hurt. 

I've gone back to my QC-35s for now. They are a little beat up but at least they actually work. I'm also looking at other non-Bose sound products for the first time in 20 years or so. I recently replaced a Bose Sound Bar with a Sonos. I think I'm going to try a pair of Sony's WH-1000XM3 and a set of Apple Ear Buds and see how that goes. 

I just have no idea how Bose launched a product that is this bad. 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 23, 2020

Re: Are the Bose 700 Headphones the worst product Bose has ever produced?

Comfort 1/5

The excessive clamping force is awful, the earpads feel crappy. The problem is i wore this headphone in the store for like 10 to 15 minutes to check it out, and compare it to the competition, and didn't notice it straight away. It's just not right.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

As other users have reported, clamping the NC700 headphones over the shipping box eases them up considerably.

I also got the perception that the majority of customers being able to test out both the QC and NC series still prefers the buttons (and comfort) of the QC35.

Highlighted

Hello Senor.Tom and Bmaster, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am sorry that you are both unhappy with the headphones. I would like to dig deeper into the connection issues you are having and see if we can resolve them for you. There are some great steps we can try together, let's start with the following.

• Go to http://btu.bose.com on a computer and update your headphones software.
  • Perform a product reset, to do this:
  1. - Disconnect all cables from the headphones.
  2. - Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on.
  3. - Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth® button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup.
  4. - Release the Power/Bluetooth button after 2 seconds.
  • Clear the Bluetooth device list on the headset by pressing and holding the Bluetooth button until you hear 'Device list cleared'.
  • Delete the headphones from the Bose Music app.
  • Uninstall and then reinstall the app.

I look forward to hearing how you get on. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 22, 2020

I have taken these steps and they do nothing to improve the device performance. I would also like to add that the steps required to reset a device are incoherent to the average user. There is no way my mom can do this, for example. Who let the crazy engineer in the basement team up with the wacko modern design artist and come up with this? Was having a tiny inset reset button really that bad? Even having a software driven "hard reset" function in the phone application would have been a reasonable option. 

I've gone out and ordered a set of Apple AirPod Pros and am testing them to see if they meet my needs. I also am using my QC-35s from time to time.