Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 31, 2019

BOSE AE2 Surround falls apart

I am now on my second pair of headphones. Both had the same problem that the soft leather cover of the muffs come apart after a while. This last pair in white was new from last year November, so not even after a year of using it. The first pair was black and lasted a bit longer allthough not by much. Also the top part that fits over your head is very worn, the leather cover is coming off. Is this normal? I use the headphones every day, but for the price they should last a bit longer, I think.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: BOSE AE2 Surround falls apart

Author Accepted Answer selected by nelleke@dolcevia.com

They area a part that is susceptible to wear and tear.  I found that most people tend to get 2-3 years out of a pair, but it depends on how they are cared for.  I've seen people that wear them for everything (including working out) and they can last 6 months with hard use.  Where I've also seen people use them for 5 years.  It's like tyres on a car.  No matter how much you pay for the car, the tyres will need replacing before the car does and lifespan will depend on how you use them.

The two main enemies of the cushions are moisture and contact.

With moisture, if you use them in humid environments, of use them for working out daily, the moisture in the air/sweat on your skin will affect them.  If you use them on a long flight, they tend to get damp.  People will then put them in the case and in the cupboard for the next three months.  That traps the moisture in and will affect them too.

So if they are damp, wipe them with a slightly damp cloth to remove any salt/sweat, then leave them out to air dry before closing them in the case.  They ship with a moisture sachet which helps this too

With contact, if you have stubble, beards, wear glassed, large earings, all of these will rub against the material and wear it away.

But the cushions are replaceable, so for a small amount you can continue using the headphones without needing to replace them.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: BOSE AE2 Surround falls apart

Author Accepted Answer selected by nelleke@dolcevia.com

They area a part that is susceptible to wear and tear.  I found that most people tend to get 2-3 years out of a pair, but it depends on how they are cared for.  I've seen people that wear them for everything (including working out) and they can last 6 months with hard use.  Where I've also seen people use them for 5 years.  It's like tyres on a car.  No matter how much you pay for the car, the tyres will need replacing before the car does and lifespan will depend on how you use them.

The two main enemies of the cushions are moisture and contact.

With moisture, if you use them in humid environments, of use them for working out daily, the moisture in the air/sweat on your skin will affect them.  If you use them on a long flight, they tend to get damp.  People will then put them in the case and in the cupboard for the next three months.  That traps the moisture in and will affect them too.

So if they are damp, wipe them with a slightly damp cloth to remove any salt/sweat, then leave them out to air dry before closing them in the case.  They ship with a moisture sachet which helps this too

With contact, if you have stubble, beards, wear glassed, large earings, all of these will rub against the material and wear it away.

But the cushions are replaceable, so for a small amount you can continue using the headphones without needing to replace them.

View solution in original post