David Young
Participant
Registered since

May 13, 2020

BOSE NC 700 mute and stop sound when I get a notification

I connected my NC700 head set to my iPhone 11 and Windows 10 laptop and thought I was having issues with it being connected to both devices at the same time (discussed in other posts). I couldn't get this working and so turned to Bluetooth off on my phone so it is just connected to my laptop.

I now have an issue where, if I am on a call (I mainly use Teams), some notifications on the same laptop cause the sound to stop and the mic to mute for several seconds, before coming back.

4 REPLIES 4
Andy_B
Community Manager

Re: BOSE NC 700 mute and stop sound when I get a notification

Hey David,

Thanks for your message and for joining in on the Bose Community forums. We're happy to have you. 

Conferencing software on computers will utilize an array of different Bluetooth profiles to connect and send audio. Each profile serves a different function and has different benefits. The NC 700 headset supports HSP, HFP, A2DP, AVRCP, and BLE profiles. I'll note the functions of the main profiles that are related to your question below.

HSP (Handset Profile) – This provides the basic functionalities needed for communication between a handset (cell phone) and a headset. This includes support for mono audio and the use of the microphone.

HFP (Hands-Free Profile) – This has somewhat extended functionality to HSP. Imagine it as the HSP profile, with added built-in functionality that is specific to phone call applications, not necessarily relevant to the context of what we're discussing today.

A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) – This allows the transmission of stereo audio signals. As a result, this provides much higher quality audio than the mono encoding used for HSP and HFP profiles. 

HSP and HFP are used whenever on a phone call with the computer. A2DP is used for most other tasks, such as the playback of music/audio on your computer. This includes notifications that you hear from other applications. The computer/program is initiating this profile, and sending the data to the headset respectively. 

As the computer is alternating between what Bluetooth profile it can use during playback, your experience may be expected. The computer is changing the connection method in the background when a notification sound is triggered, followed by then resuming audio from the alternative source (in this instance Teams) with the original profile. As A2DP does not support microphone use, the microphone will not be active when the computer is using this profile.

Before joining a Teams meeting, you could try to default your computer to use only the HSP/HFP profile. Doing this will vary between computers and operating systems, but in general, you may be able to do this by clicking the "sound" button on the bottom-right of your screen, clicking the arrow up button to show other audio devices, and selecting the "Headset (XXX Hands-Free)" option. Again, this will reduce the audio quality, so be sure to change it back to "Stereo" after the call has finished. Let us know.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
luchodela
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 14, 2020

Hi Andy_B, thank you for that explanation. I have an additional question since I have the same issue but alternating with two devices in parallel: In my laptop I have Teams meetings but my cellphone (Samsung Note 10+, Android), where I also receive phone calls, I receive whatsapp notifications and when that happens my Teams call in the computer is interrupted for many seconds. I will there was a way to tell the Headphones to proritize a specific application when it is running, so when a call or video conference is on, all other sounds or notifications are muted.

Is there a way to do that?

Best regards,

Luis Felipe

Jeff_G

Hello luchodela,

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

There will always be a minor delay when audio is initiated from another device, in this case, notifications. The way to prevent this from happening would be from the source. On windows, you can use the advanced sound options menu to choose where audio is routed.

On Android, this will be device specific, but as you mentioned you had a Samsung Note 10+, I had a look into this, and it appears they have an app on the Play Store and Galaxy Store called Sound Assistant that lets you manage notification sound routing. Change this from Bluetooth headphones to the phone's built in speakers and you will no longer be disturbed! 

For other users seeking a similar answer to their non-Samsung device, I cannot confirm if the Sound Assistant app is compatible, if anyone has an opportunity to try, please feel free to share your results. If not, there may be alternative solutions available, and some devices may even offer built-in solutions! 

Thanks.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
fabose
Participant
Registered since

Mar 8, 2021

Hi, I had the same issue and I was able to solve with these settings. My Bose NC 700 headphones are called "FB 700" but this does not affect the functionality. You can have whatever name you want.

Sounds settings

Sounds 1Sounds 1

Sounds 2Sounds 2

Sounds 3Sounds 3

Recording settings

Recording 1Recording 1

Recording 2Recording 2

Recording 3Recording 3