Hi BOSE

My brand new BOSE NC 700 will not turn on! I've tried to

- short-press all 3 buttons

- long-press all 3 buttons

- hold down each of the 3 buttons for min 10 sec

Nothing happens what-so-ever.

Previously, I've tried the following steps:

1. Headset unpacked
2. App downloaded (Android on OnePlus 5)
3. Headset turned on, paired succesfully
4. Product activation completed
5. Buttons tried out without music, but noice cancellation steps worked fine. Google Assistent worked fine.
6. Headset turned off
7. Connected to wall-charger for 15 seconds, then disconnected from charger
8. Now cannot turn on!
9. Connected to USB port on PC for a while - at least 30 mins
10. Visited Bose support site - downloaded BoseUpdateInstaller 6.0.0.4388
11 Went to Bose firmware update website, started BoseUpdateInstaller using admin priviledges. BSOD!
12 Step 11 tried again - still BSOD

Can I somehow factory reset the headset?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cwturtle
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 17, 2019

Re: BOSE NC 700 will not turn on

Author Accepted Answer selected by cwturtle

... and while I was writing my question, I was charging the headset on my PC - and now it works! It seems to say "8 hours remaining" - however the first half second of this speach is cut away. The screen on my phone says 40% batteri left on the headset.

Anyway, not it all seems to work, which is nice. I will give it some more testing now.

19 REPLIES 19
cwturtle
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 17, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by cwturtle

... and while I was writing my question, I was charging the headset on my PC - and now it works! It seems to say "8 hours remaining" - however the first half second of this speach is cut away. The screen on my phone says 40% batteri left on the headset.

Anyway, not it all seems to work, which is nice. I will give it some more testing now.

Hello cwturtle, 

Thanks for reaching out via the Bose Community, welcome to the site. 

I'm sorry to hear you had issues with your headphones not powering on, but am glad to hear this has resolved itself for you. 

Please be aware that charging via the built-in USB on a computer, will always yield a much slower charge, and connecting via a smartphone/wall charger is recommended for a faster, more efficient charge. 

Kind regards,

Jeff G - Community Support

Jackandeddy
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2018

I have the same issue, followed the same protocol as the topic originator.  They worked on the day I received them, I kept them charged, reflected 9 hours listen time, then they shut off and cannot turn them back on.  Nor will they take a charge, nor can I update the firmware.

This is the second pair, first I exchanged for these.  Not very happy with Bose at the moment as I am wasting a ton of time just getting basic functionality.  I am returning these for good if I cannot get them working by end of week.

Please advise.

Hello Jackandeddy,

Thank you for joining the conversation. 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your NC Headphones 700. 

I would first suggest resetting the headphones. This can be done by disconnecting all cables from the headphones. Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on. Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup. Release the Power/Bluetooth button after 2 seconds.

Do the headphones show any LEDs at all?

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

Jackandeddy
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2018

thank you I now have a white led flashing where the usb comes into the cup, they still will not turn on.  white light is flashing.  Last time the headphones came up it said 8 hours of listening time.

Still need to figure out how to do a firmware upgrade.  

This is a LOT of hassle for something I paid $400+ for, I am certain you would agree.  Should not be this hard

Hi Jackandeddy,

Thanks for getting back to me! I'm glad to see that the headphones show some life.

You can now perform the update by visiting btu.bose.com on your computer and following the instructions.

Let me know how this goes.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Jackandeddy
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2018

firmware was up to date, so it looks like the headphones and the app were able to talk to each other.

I still cannot get the blue light on, in other words I still cannot power the headphones up.  

Hello Jackandeddy,

That's great to hear!

Could you please confirm that this is the button you are using to enter pairing mode? 

nc bluetooth button.png

Simply hold this for a couple of seconds and you should hear "Ready to connect".

Please let me know if this is the case.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Jackandeddy
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2018

blue button that I normally use to turn power on, pair and connect does not come on when held down for any length of time.