soyo
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

Base keeps fading with higher volumes on Bose 700?

Hi. I'm deciding whether to give the Bose 700 a go, but I have a few doubts. One of those regards the issue I've heard in one of the video reviews, and now I also found some mentions (on amazon) that those headphones have some sort of active Equalizer implemented, where the higher the volume, the less of a base there is. Like described in the following review:

"The Bose NC 700 has an active EQ implemented which reduces the bass when the volume is raised to near or at max levels. The overall volume output of these isn’t that high so it’s easy to crank them and experience this. The problem is, at near or max volume, the bass vanishes and the NC 700 sounds quite cold and unpleasant with a severe lack of bass. At medium to lower volumes these sound very neutral and clear to my ears. This is a major issue and Bose needs to give us the ability to turn off the active EQ. Until then, I will remove one star."

Is this true?

4 REPLIES 4
Davoncci
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

Re: Base keeps fading with higher volumes on Bose 700?

Yes, it's true. Very frustrating. I hate these about the headphones. At max volumes, bass completely disappears. It begins to sound harsh and sibilant. They advertised that listening experience is the same at all volumes, but that's not true. I listen at 70% max volume. I also want the engineering team to implement an equalizer setting. I am considering returning it because of these two issues.

soyo
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

Could somebody from Bose answear as to why it's the case please?

Highlighted

Hi there @soyo , and thanks for taking the time to reach out.

The NC700 headphones have this EQ function built-in to prevent damage to both the speakers and to the user when playing at higher volumes. At the current time, this cannot be altered or disabled in anyway.

I have passed on a request on your behalf to see if this can be a setting that can be changed in the future for you.

Thank you for your understanding, and please return to me with any questions!

Liam W - Community Support

Davoncci
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

Equal sound experience at all volumes is what is needed.