davidjameson@blueyonder.co.uk
Participant
Registered since

Feb 5, 2021

Bluetooth 5 Dongle not pairing Bose Soundlink headphones with desktop

Before creating a new topic, please search the Community to avoid creating duplicate threads. If you are posting about a problem, the more of the below details you can include (if applicable) the easier it will be for others to try and help. Go to https://bose.life/2K1GbJl for a helpful post on how to find relevant information, including your firmware and app version information!

Bose product name Soundlink wireless headphones

Country UK    

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.) Windows 10

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce I am trying to pair the headphones with a Windows 10 Desktop. I have watched Soundlink pairing videos and used paid for software support. I noted that checking properties the Hommie brand bluetooth docket said "1997" My software support said it must be a problem with an outdated dongle. This is the dongle : Hommie USB 5.0 Bluetooth Dongle Adapter for PC, 20M Wireless Bluetooth. I live in London, England. Can anyone suggest a brand of dongle or make any other helpful suggestions? Thank you, David

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took: Factory reset of headphones. Removing the headphones from "other devices" Headphones were ready to pair.

1 REPLY 1
joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Bluetooth 5 Dongle not pairing Bose Soundlink headphones with desktop

davidjameson@blueyonder.co.uk  (I do not work for Bose)

I have found (on my previous win7/64 Dell laptop but probably still relevant on win10) that finding a dongle that specifically works with a Bose product is as you have seen, hit or miss.  I can tell you that I did find one (for the laptop - don't use BT on my win10 machine - I 'plug in to the minim-connector on the front instead) that works with all my Bose BT products - QC35ii, revolve, mini 2 and soundsport.

I would recommend unless you are using a 700 (which supports bt 5), you stay with a BT 4 dongle even though 5 is supposed to be backward compatible.

I am using the "SMK Nano".  Not sure if it still can be found, but if not, many others (on eBay) look like it and just be sure whatever you pick uses the CSR Harmony drivers.