Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMD
Participant
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

Bose 700 Headphones: Speaker Rattling?

I recently bought the Bose 700 headphones and use it daily for my bus commute. I really like the ANC, but I've noticed that every time the bus goes over a pothole or a bump, the headphones make a deep rattling sound (almost like a part is moving around in the headphone) along with what feels like a pressure change that is really annoying. You can hear this rattle over phone calls and different types of music too when going over a pothole. A similar thing is also experienced when walking, but the rattle/noise is not as loud as the experience when on the bus. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggested fixes or workarounds?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GorFex
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

Re: Bose 700 Headphones: Speaker Rattling?

Author Accepted Answer selected by SMD

Exchanging them won't fix the issue. It happens to me EVERY time my airplane lands and the engines go into reverse. I literally turn my headphones off now before we land. It's not the headband. You can confirm this by turning off the headphones and recreating the bump or loud noise. The headphones won't make the static, heavy bass rattle you are experiencing.  It's a noise cancellation flaw of overcompensation.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Hector_B

Hi SMD, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community. I am deeply sorry to hear that you are having this strange issue and this isn't something that you should be experiencing. 

I would highly recommend getting in touch with our Customer Service Team via clicking this link. Then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to look into this further for you. 

Please update us on the result of your call. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
SMD
Participant
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

Thank you for the response. I talked to the Customer Service team and they recommended exchanging the headset. Will do that shortly.

Ondene
Participant
Registered since

Oct 23, 2019

Are you sure it's not the headband stem making contact with the ear cup casing? I have this along with many other (and most likely literally every user) as it seems to be a design flaw. They allowed too much play in the hinge to prevent the contact from happening.

NonHumanHominid
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 21, 2019

I've not been out with mine yet (this is the UK, it's autumn, therefore it's raining and I don't believe they're splash-proof, never mind waterproof) , but I would rather the hingeless design of these than the foldable design of the QC35/35II (and most other Bose over-ear cans) as the latter seems to have a serious design flaw in that, after about 2 years the joint weakens where it connects to the headband (it's secured by a hex-screw and that appears to snap). 

That said, I'm sure there's potential for the band to come away where it attaches to the cup. I've not had mine a week yet, so there's plenty of time…

SMD
Participant
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

I believe that this issue is separate from the hinge movement. It seems like the Bose 700 is over compensating for loud noises outside. You can reproduce the experience by wearing the headset and closing a car door. You'll hear a loud movement or noise within the headset with a perceptible pressure change. Almost like someone is slapping your ear. I'm totally okay with the headset dampening loud noises, but not enhancing it within my ear. The same thing happens whenever the bus goes over a pothole. So I'll try another headset to see if that changes my experience, if that doesn't fix the issue I'll be returning the Bose 700.

GorFex
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by SMD

Exchanging them won't fix the issue. It happens to me EVERY time my airplane lands and the engines go into reverse. I literally turn my headphones off now before we land. It's not the headband. You can confirm this by turning off the headphones and recreating the bump or loud noise. The headphones won't make the static, heavy bass rattle you are experiencing.  It's a noise cancellation flaw of overcompensation.

View solution in original post

GorFex
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

I just flew from Salt Lake City to LAX. Pretty quick flight. I made it a point to keep my headphones powered on when we landed, and the loud popping noises started as soon as the wheels touched and the reverse thrust was engaged. I immediately powered down the headphones, and the loud popping stopped right away. I can confirm that this is a noise cancelling issue  

SMD
Participant
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

Thanks for sharing. Good to know that others are also experiencing the same issue. Hopefully Bose takes note of this issue and fixes it. 

NonHumanHominid
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 21, 2019

Bose…?! Fix summat…?! Mate, they broke the ANC on the QC35II 2 firmware updates ago -  and it's STILL broken! Bose are like Apple, there needs to be a mass outcry by every tech mag and website before they'll even admit there's an issue. 

At least Apple acknowledges issues - eventually. Don't expect that from Bose. It's your ears, or your imagination, or…or… space monkeys. 

I'm kinda beginning to regret sticking with Bose after all the issues with the QC35II. I'm beginning to wonder if Bose actually tests their cans with real people, in real life situations, it would appear the ANC only works if you're in a room in a perfectly silent house. I don't know what to do now - I NEED decent ANC, and Sony are out, so what can I get for the same price as the NC700 with the same features - but backed up by the kind of customer service you'd expect for headphones in that price bracket. 

I'm going to have to do more research…