Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 24, 2019

Bose 700 Headphones crackling/buzz sound

Just yesterday I bought two Bose 700 NC, one is still even unpacked (should be a present), but so far I think I'll return them, but may be a miracle will happen and you will give me a solution 😞 
Everything was alright before update, but unfortunately not after it. When I turn them on crackling/buzz sound is continuously going from the right earcup. So just in case, they are not even connected to the phone. 
I even made a video. youtube.com/watch?v=uxXCbnW5blY&feature=youtu.be
The sound you can hear in it is not microphone troubles or external noises. This is the sound which is constantly coming from the right earcup 😞
I tried to reset them following you instruction https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/product-reset-headphones.html , but seems it is incorrect. Reset of pairing list worked, but did not help.
So what should I do? Contacting local support is not a way for me, because I bought them in Netherlands, but I am leaving it tomorrow. 
UPDATE: just after writing this post I got an idea that may be the problem is not with the sound in general, but with ANC. So I completly turned it off through the app and this sound finally disappeared. However now seems I have headphones with incorrectly working ANC 😞
P.s if ANC is on(does not matter 0 - 10)  the sound is still present 

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: Bose 700 Headphones crackling/buzz sound

Hey dkdk1, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community. Sorry to hear that you have had this experience. 

Let's start with updating the headset, to do this simply connect the headset to a PC and visit our online updater, then please follow the steps that are listed onscreen. When you leave the Netherlands can you please let us know where you are returning to? 

Can you please also test the headset in another environment to see if the same issue persists? 

I look forward to hearing back from you with the result of this. 

Kind regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 24, 2019

I mentioned above that I got my problem AFTER the update. I rechecked if just in one day you published new update, but no, I still have the latest software which is 1.3.1

About where I return to:

I went to Russia for the holidays and will come back to Netherlands in 12 days. However, the 2nd pair of the headphones is supposed to be a present (They are still unpacked). Therefore if the problem with my (1st pair) is not resolved soon it is more logical for me to take them back and just return both of them, than to make a present that works incorrectly and waste more then two weeks trying to fix a product for which I payed 350 euro.

I do not really understand what means to test them in another environment. As I mentioned above this sound is present even when headphones are not connected to any device (and it is quiet logical because by default settings ANC is on). It disappears only if I turn off ANC through the application.

If by another environment you meant in fact different environments then I already did it. Today I had a flight, and turned them on in train, in airplane, in airport, in taxi, literally everywhere. Before I turn off ANC it is impossible to use the headphones. 

I realized that video I made is not really showing the problem, because in it the headphones are turned on from the very beginning. Here you can see that everything is silent before I turn them on. I guess it is easy to imagine how loud this sound is when I wear the headphones (basically it is not possible to hear music normally) if you can even hear it from video recorded on the phone.

https://youtu.be/NmlV3dOwi1M

(I would recommend to watch video in headphones, unfortunately I do not have professional microphone near me to show the problem more explicitly) 

So far, I answered all your questions and look forward to your answer. 

However just in one day of use of the headphones I faced some more bugs. 

1) initial data:

-headphones are on, ANC is off, music is off

When I press "call" in Viber, the call starts, but due to unknown for me reason the headphones start also to play the music.

2) Wanting to test at least the sound quality, I used them without ANC. Sometimes music disappers/cracks for 0.25-0.5 second

Just in case my phone is Galaxy S10

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 24, 2019

Hey Hector,

4 days passed since I replied you, can I get an answer?

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 9, 2020

I don't have a buzzing sound, but I do have the crackling.  This is actually my third pair.  Bose replaced my last two.  The first pair did not have any crackling, but they died unexpectedly.  The second pair had terrible crackling, and the third pair has minor crackling.  These are supposed to be top of the line headphones, and other than the crackling and the terrible bluetooth pairing, the are pretty fantastic.  I would be interested to hear how things turned out for you.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 24, 2019

As you see support/moderators just ignored me, so I decided not to support company that doesn't care about its clients and returned them. Bought a pair of headphones from other company. 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi,

I am having issues with me my Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. 
I get this intermittent buzzing/static sound while on calls or listening to music with all my electronics. IE the issue is persistent independent of the device it is connected too.

The solution I have found that stops the static sound immediately is to shake my head quickly. 

I believe I may have a hardware issue.

Is there a way to fix this at home? or will I need to send them in?

Thanks

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 15, 2020

Hi- I just got a new pair of these headphones from bestbuy on May 5th. As of last week I also have been getting a buzzing noise in my left earbud. As the original post states, if I turn noise cancelling totally off the noise goes away but as soon as I turn the NC back on there is buzzing again.

Have people had this issue resolved by a hardware return, or is there no fix?

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 9, 2020

I have found that disconnecting all but one bluetooth source solves a lot of issues.  If that doesn't work, I would return it to BB or Bose.  

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 28, 2020

How do I get replacement headphones from the Bose website? It seems all the customer service options are not being delivered right now due to cover-19.

I too have a constant crackling sound in my Bose 700 headphones.

• The crackling is in the right ear cup
  • The crackling noise worsens as the NC is decreased, therefore minor crackling at 10, worst crackling at 0.
  • The crackling is constant and has not been resolved at any point, even after disconnecting bluetooth devices and resetting the headphones
  • The headphones have the most up-to-date software installed
  • When using the online product services, when I enter the serial number the right device is listed but in the wrong colour (my headphones are eclipse but the ones listed online corresponding to the serial number are soapstone).

It appears to me that the only course of action I have now are to get replacement headphones, but I am unable to find out how! I bought them direct from the Bose website but can't find the customer service that will actually resolve this issue for me. Needless to say I am very underwhelmed by these headphones that were bought 17 Apr 2020.