savvy178
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2019

Bose 700 Macbook Pro - Conversation Mode Always On and Sound Quality Poor

Hi,

I've just done a product reset and updated the firmware on my Bose 700 headphones that I just recieved. 

The conversation mode is always on when connected to Macbook Pro 2018, also the audio quality is poor. 

Any suggestions or is this just something I'm going to have to wait on till Bose pushes a firmware update?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: Bose 700 Macbook Pro - Conversation Mode Always On and Sound Quality Poor

Hello savvy178, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues when your NC Headphones 700 are connected to your MacBook Pro.

Could you please explain what is happening? Conversation Mode means that your audio will pause and noise-cancellation will adjust to give you full awareness, therefore, what happens when you do listen to audio? Are you able to adjust the noise cancelling levels? Does this happen with any other devices?

Regarding the poor audio quality, are you connected to just the MacBook Pro or do you have another device connected? I would recommend clearing the pairing list by holding the Power/Bluetooth button for approximately 10 seconds until you hear the prompt "Bluetooth device list cleared". Then remove/forget the NC Headphones 700 from your Bluetooth settings on your MacBook. Now reconnect. 

I look forward to your response.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
savvy178
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2019

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for the reply.  

When connected to the macbook pro I'm still hearing ambient audio though the headphones. I'm picking up sound the same way that I do when I'm in conversation mode when using my phone. 

Hitting the noise cancellation button tells me noise cancelling is on. 

Thus.  Noise cancellation is on, but so is conversation mode.  And conversation mode doesn't turn off. 

I cleared the bluetooth devices and reconnected (making sure it is not connected to any other device) with no resolve to either issue.  Also the audio quality is still horrible listening to the same song on macbook pro vs iphone .

Please advise.

Highlighted

Hello Savvy178,

Thanks for reaching back out, I am sorry that the issue still persists. 

As you have tried all troubleshooting steps, the best option here would be to reach out to your local customer support center and explore the service options for your headset. You can do this by clicking this link here, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us. If you are in the US or UK you can also reach out via Facebook or Twitter and one of our team can help you there. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
kingtide
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 7, 2019

I have this exact problem.

When paired with the Mac, it configures both Input and Output to use Bose NC 700, but it seems it's the Input setting which is causing audio feedback played into the Output so you get the equivalent effect to conversation mode, even though this is NOT enabled in the headset.

The workaround I have found is to go into System Preferences -> Sound -> Input and select Internal Microphone (and NOT Bose NC 700).  This clear the input loop and normal noise cancellation returns with clear sound.  For listening to music, this gets you back in the game with quality audio but obviously doesn't provide full input/output function that you might need to make calls etc.

Over to you Bose to figure it out and implement a fix.

Highlighted

Hello kingtide,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing some sound quality issues with when your NC Headphones 700 are connected to your MacBook Pro. 

Could you please let me know the OS version you have installed on your MacBook Pro?

Do you have multiple devices connected when this happens? Or does it also just happen when only connected to your MacBook Pro?

Does anything change when you adjust the level of noise cancellation?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Highlighted
kingtide
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 7, 2019

Thanks for the follow up Charlotte.

Here's some more detail regarding my experience:

Baseline Configuration

Macbook Pro with MacOS 10.14.6

Default audio configuration on Mac when Bose NC 700 is detected.

ie Audio Input and Output both set to Bose NC 700

Bose music app shows two bluetooth connections (both active):

1. iPhone (IOS 13.1.2 with latest version Bose Music App 2.4.3)
  2. Mac (MacOS 10.14.6) with Audio output set to Bose NC 700

This ambient noise issue occurs only when Mac Audio Input is set to Bose NC 700, regardless of the audio source.

NC Validation

1. Mac Audio Input set to Bose NC 700

The ambient noise is injected regardless of the noise cancellation level but is less noticeable as the noise cancellation level reduces since the actual noise itself is increased.  At all noise cancellation levels, by switching the Mac input source between Bose and Internal Mic you can hear the change as the ambient noise cuts in and out.

2. Mac Audio Input set to Internal Mic

No ambient noise generated

Verified and Replicable Behaviour

Mac audio input setting is the key factor in overall audio quality and automatic switching experience as outlined below with the only reliable experience possible when Mac audio input is set to Internal Mic.

Test Scenarios

Scenario 1.

Mac Audio Input set to Internal Mic.
Audio is playing on iPhone - great experience - no ambient noise and NC fully operational

Bose Music App shows "streaming from" iPhone:

Action: Change Mac Audio Input to Bose NC 700

Result: audio stops playing (completely) and ambient noise kicks in

Action: Change Mac Audio Input back to Internal Mic

Result:  ambient noise cuts out and audio from iPhone is resumed (with clarity and full NC)

Scenario 2.

Mac Audio Input set to Internal Mic.

Commence audio playback on Mac

Bose Music app detects switch on audio source to Mac and shows "streaming from" Mac.

Audio playing from Mac - great experience - no ambient noise and NC fully operational

Action: Change Mac Audio Input to Bose NC 700

Result: audio keeps playing but loses clarity as ambient noise kicks in

Action: Change Mac Audio Input back to Internal Mic

Result:  ambient noise cuts out and audio from Mac resumes (with clarify and full NC)

Summary:

If Mac Audio input is set to Internal Mic, the Bose NC 700 headset can automatically switch between audio sources when either audio is initiated by hitting play in music app or browser.  If listening to music on Mac and phone rings, audio switches to the call and switches back to Mac when completed.

This actually works very well and seems to be the expected user experience.

If Mac Audio input is set to Bose NC 700 (as is the default when connected), the ambient noise kicks in, automatic switching between devices fails and it's a very miserable experience to get anything to work unless the Mac is manually disconnected through the Bose music app (which forces "streaming from" to switch to iPhone AND completely screws the Mac audio settings at the same time with difficult recovery only possible through Bluetooth Disconnect/Reconnect on Mac with default going back to Input = Bose NC 700).  I'm assuming this malfunction is all caused by the ambient noise level generated by the Mac input setting which is causing failure in the Bose auto-switching detection function.

Note: Mac audio input settings includes a checkbox to enable/disable "Ambient noise reduction" when set to Internal Mic.  This setting is not available under Bose NC 700 and the setting has no bearing on the experiences outlined above.

Highlighted

Hi Kingtide, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this! We appreciate the detail that you have enlisted in this post and appreciate you testing this and sharing your results. 

Can anyone else in the community also attempt the scenarios above to see if they experience a similar issue with this? I would love to hear back from the community on this one! 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Highlighted
Ondrej Kozina
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 7, 2019

I have the same issue after last headphones fw update. The mac is connected in streaming mode all the time so I am unable to listen to music on my phone until I disable the mac in the bose app. Worked fine before. Where do you get the confidence to force updates on me without my consent when you know that fw to these headphones is really not stable?

Highlighted
CoffeeAdict
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 21, 2019

I have the same version of MacOS latest NC 700 Firmware, same symptoms and same workaround works.