Highlighted
sgalla
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Bose 700 NC Headphones Conversation Mode Resetting

I have an issue with the conversation mode on my Bose 700 headphones. When I use them with my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad E560, Windows 10) and enable conversation mode, it succesfully pauses the music and cancels the NC, but after a few seconds the NC comes back on and I cannot hear the person talking to me. It does not restart the music.

I do not have this issue on my iPhone, conversation mode works as expected there.

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Bose 700 NC Headphones Conversation Mode Resetting

Hello Sgalla, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Noice Cancelling 700 headphones and conversation mode.  I would recommend we perform a reboot of your headphones.

To reboot your headset:

• Disconnect all cables from the headphones.
  • Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on.
  • Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth® button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup.
  • Release the Power/Bluetooth button when the Bluetooth light blinks blue.

It would also be helpful to push a manual update even if your headphones are up to date, please follow the steps below:

• Be sure the computer has internet connectivity, and that you're running a compatible operating system and web browser.
  • Navigate to the Bose Bluetooth Device Updater page at btu.bose.com and select your product
  • Click "Accept and Continue" to accept the terms of the Bose Updater
  • Click "Download" to download the updater
  • Once downloaded, open the file to install the updater, then connect the headphones to your computer via USB
  • If an update is available, click "Apply Changes" to download the latest software. You can also click "Learn More" to find out about what improvements the update contains
  • Once the system has been successfully updated, disconnect the headphones from the computer

I hope this helps, I look forward to hearing how you get on. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Rcronister
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

I’m having the same issue with my iPhone and iPad despite following these recommended steps. I liked the idea of being able to switch into this mode without having to hold my hand up to the earcup the whole time as you do with the Sony XM3s. But these do not even allow you to at least do that. Setting the ANC to zero is decent enough, but these headphone features are rushed and crappy. This shouldn’t be an issue for $400. I likely be exchanging these for the SonyXM3 headphones. 

Hi Rcronister, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am deeply sorry to hear that you are having this issue with Conversation Mode also. 

I am sorry that the steps did not resolve this issue for you, this sounds like there may be an issue with the headphones and I would recommend that you get in touch with our Customer Service Team via clicking this link. Then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help.

If any other community members are also having this issue and have resolved this via an alternate method please do let us know. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

sgalla
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Hello,

I have done all of the above and it has not resolved the issue. I have tested this also on a MacBook. I can confirm that for the Spotify desktop player, conversation mode worked as expected. However, it did not work for the web player.

With the web player on the laptop from the original issue (Windows 10), it does not pause the music and it conversation mode only lasts 3 seconds. So when it comes off conversation mode it is already playing music again.

Again to confirm, conversation mode works perfectly with my iPhone.

sgalla
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Today this happened on my iPhone also. It had been working with my iPhone up until then, but randomly when I next did conversation mode it was the same as above, it would only last a few seconds then go back to NC level 10. It also seemed to set the volume very low on the headphones when the music started again.

I tuned the headphone off then back on and it isn't happening anymore.

There must be some bug with the conversation mode, I hope this gets fixed soon as I use this feature a lot

Hello sgalla,

Thank you for updating us on this issue you're experiencing with Conversation Mode. 

In this case, I would recommend that you contact your regions Bose technical support team where an agent will be able to assist you with this matter further.  Please follow this link, select your region and scroll down to "Contact Us". There you will find the appropriate contact information and an agent there will happily assist you further. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M

sgalla
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Aha! I've done a bit more digging. On the iPhone, it seems to only happen if I have the Spotify app open. If I have the screen locked, the conversation mode works fine. I also tried with the standard iPhone Apple Music app, this works all the time, open and closed. I also tried the netflix app, conversation mode here mutes the audio and sets NC to 0, but it does not pause the video in the app.

Anyone else got similar experiences?

Hi Sgalla, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this. 

This is very helpful, so to clarify the issue only persists when you have Spotify open? Can you please confirm which software version your device is running for example IOS13. 

Can any other members please come forward if this issue is also occurring for you?  

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

areswest
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 30, 2019

I have this issue in Pandora on a Chromebox.  Pressing the NC button pauses the music and NC for a few seconds, then it comes back automatically.  This happens regardless of whether I hold or release the button.