Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 27, 2020

Bose 700 NC Headphones: Unable to Connect to iPhone App (iOS update 13.4)

I just bought these headphones. Literally fresh out of the box yesterday. Not connecting to my iPhone Bose Music App. 

When I select connect, it says "connecting" for .5 seconds and then turns back into the "connect" option. I've restarted my phone. I've turned my device on and off. I've done it all. Still cannot connect to the Bose Music App.

Is it Apples new iOS update 13.4? Is it from Bose Music App? 

Any advice? 

Thanks! 

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Bose 700 NC Headphones: Unable to Connect to iPhone App (iOS update 13.4)

Hi @sarkisyen,

Great choice of headphones! It's quite unusual that you're having a hard time getting them set up.

Have you been able to try connecting the headphones to any other mobile device for comparison?

I wouldn't expect the new iOS update to cause too much trouble at this time, but always I'd ensure your headphones are up-to-date in terms of the firmware. Simply visit HERE to go through the Bose updater, and update the product firmware if needed.

Try setting up the headphones after this and let me know how things go.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 27, 2020

The headphones do connect to my iPhone and MacBook Pro.

However, they are not connecting to the Bose Music App.

That is the issue I’m having. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 9, 2020

I have the NC 700 and connect them  to my iPhone and iPad. Once I initially paired the headphones up to the two devices, I have never lost connectivity of the headphones to the two, even when I turn the headphones off,  I simply turn on the headphones wait for the announcement that the two devices are paired and queue up whatever music source I want, push the play button on that  device,  and it automatically plays on the headphones. If I want to play the other device I pause the one I do not want, and pick up the other device, push play and it works. I do not use the APP for any of that. 

The Bose Music APP is another story. Even though the headphones are on, announce that they are paired to my two devices, in the APP it will say "headphones not available" and no amount of button pushing in the app will connect the APP to the headphones. Not intuitive at all. 

By luck I discovered the solution. If I had the Bose Music APP running, and I push my device home button the APP disappears from the screen but remains running. That is the problem, and is the case with all Apple Apps. If I then click the home button twice I see on my device all the running apps. I swipe the Bose Music APP up and it disappears, and that also turns it completely off. 

Then I go back and relaunch the app in essence from scratch and I see that NOW it will start looking for a device to pair to and will successfully pair to the headphones. In other words every time the headphones are turned off, the Bose Music App must also be COMPLETELY turned off and relaunched anew because that is the only time it will search for the headphones to pair to them..

To me this is crazy and unintuitive, and of course nowhere does Bose explain that. I think this may be behind a lot of the frustration some are having connecting the Bose Music App to the headphones.

Greg

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 27, 2020

Both my MacBook Pro and my iPhone X are connected and the sound can switch from one product to another easily.

However, I still, CANNOT CONNECT to the Bose Music App. 

I've tried everything. Re-downloading the app, signing in and out etc.

I want to manage the headphones by deleting it off the Music App. But I'm terrified that if I do that, I may never be able to reconnect the headphones to neither MacBook Pro nor iPhone X. 

The Bose Music App is simply not connecting in order for me to fully utilize all of the features on the headphones. 

Don't know what to do. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 9, 2020

I understand your frustration, and am sorry this trick I discovered did not help. I wonder if a common thread is folks connecting to a PC or MAC and an Apple device having trouble as opposed to connecting to two handhelds like an iPhone and an iPad.

Greg

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 27, 2020

Just as expected. 

I delete the headphones from the app because it did not connect in order for me to use the features on the app. So now trying to reconnect to the Music App now for 10 minutes now and get these messages. 

"Oops! Something went wrong. We had trouble establishing an initial connection with your product."

It still connects via bluetooth to my MacBook Pro and iPhone but now the Bose Music App won't even recognize my headphones. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 9, 2020

Also wanted to mention that I updated to iOS 13.4 two days ago on both my devices and that did not interfere with  or change my  ability to connect to the Bose Music App for me so the update to 13.4  is not likely the issue.

Greg

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 29, 2020

I bought my 700's a couple of weeks ago.

I'm using an iPhone Xs Max. The headphones paired perfectly, but after I shut them off and turned them back on, they will not connect to the app.

Also, when they were connected to the app, I thought there was an equalizer included but it's obviously not there probably because these are supposed to have some kind of "active eq" whatever that means.

They're going back to BestBuy and I'm getting the Sony WH-1000xm3.

People with Android phones are having no problems so it's something with the iOS app that's not right.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 12, 2020

I'm having this same problem now.  I did a reset on my headphones and I can't get the app to recognize them anymore.