Participant
Registered since

Apr 8, 2020

Bose 700 NC and parrots

Hi
I recently purchased a set of Bose 700 headphones based on the NC technology. I work from home (as a lot do these days) in an apartment that I share with 4 parrots. If you have parrots you will know they can create a lot of noise (don't worry the neighbors have never complained as we live in an area with many many outdoor parrots and cockatoos). I thought that the headphones would be good for cancelling out their noise as I work and video conference. What I have found is that the 700's isolate all other extraneous noise except the birds and the result is it actually highlights their squawks which is quite disappointing. I suppose this is a question for the Bose engineers - can they develop a software fix that responds to the particular high pitch of a parrot squawk?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Bose 700 NC and parrots

Hi Michael, 

I am sorry that your headphones are unable to cover the parrot squawks!

Active Noise-Cancellation (ANC), works by using microphones to pick up low-frequency noise and neutralise it before it reaches the ear. The microphone measures ambient sound, and generates a waveform that is the exact negative of the ambient sound, and mix them with any audio signal the listener is using i.e your music for example. 

When it comes to quick high pitched noises such as fireworks or in your case parrot squawks, where they are such sharp and quick sounds the headphones cannot react fast enough in order to cancel out such frequencies. 

I am sorry for any disappointment this provides. But if you have any further questions, do let us know. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Participant
Registered since

Apr 8, 2020

Re: Bose 700 NC and parrots

Thank you for your reply and answer to my question. I suppose I should have understood the technology better before purchase. I am not dissapointed with the headphones in of themselves - they are very good for music and calls - perhaps the speed and frequency issue will be an area of research and development for Bose in the future.

Best