Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Bose 700 headphones mutes all other audio when "communicating" (e.g. using Skype or Discord)

When my headphones are connected by Bluetooth to my PC, they refuse to play any audio (such as Youtube videos) while talking on either Skype or Discord. This is not because of the Communications tab of the sound control panel, because I have set it to "Do nothing" when "Windows detects communications activity." This is likely not because of Skype or Discord as another thread ended on, because it happens with any communication. It uniquely has to do with how Windows treats the difference between the "Bose NC 700 HP Hands-Free AG Audio" device, which is set to the "Default Communication Device" in the sound control panel, and the "Bose NC 700 HP Stereo" device, which is set to the "Default Device" in the sound control panel. It works perfectly fine when I use it in wired mode, as the "Default Device" in the sound control panel is "Realtek High Definition Audio." I have no idea how to fix this. Please help.

I have updated my headphones to the latest version using the Bose Music app. I am on Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64.

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Re: Bose 700 headphones mutes all other audio when "communicating" (e.g. using Skype or Di

Bump? I'm not sure if bumping works, but I'm still having this issue.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Re: Bose 700 headphones mutes all other audio when "communicating" (e.g. using Skype or Di

Another bump, still hasn't stopped (or even been looked into?)

Highlighted

Re: Bose 700 headphones mutes all other audio when "communicating" (e.g. using Skype or Discord)

Hello harshavb, 

Thanks for reaching out via the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. 

What you have described in your post sounds like it related to the fact that Bluetooth headphones utilize different audio profiles when carrying out different tasks. 

General audio listening will use the A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) for audio streaming, whereas, VOIP calling apps require HSP (Headset Profile) and HFP (Handsfree Profile) to function. 

I hope this helps. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

I understand this, but I have no idea how to fix the issue still. How would I get Skype or Discord to work, understanding the different audio profiles that the headphones use?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 5, 2019

I think you are missing the point.

The headphones are not properly switching profiles. Once something hooks HSP or HFP, A2DP no longer works. Not sure about the OP, but I have to power cycle my headphones to get standard audio back.

I have the NC 700's and they are paired with my Samsung Galaxy 8+ and my Samsung Tab s4, and it has gotten to the point where I cannot listen to an entire song without audio cutout, unless I remove all my bluetooth connections, and ONLY connect my phone, or my tablet. Which, I find unacceptable.

In the next few days, if there is no resolution, I will be seeking restitution.

Highlighted

Hey earlten, 

Thanks for posting and reaching out to us! Sorry to read that you are still not able to use your headphones correctly. 

Can you please ensure that they are running the latest software version by connecting them to a PC and visiting our Bose Online Updater, then follow the onscreen instructions to update the headphones. 

A reset to the headphones is also a great step to fix any small bugs that the headphones may encounter, this can be performed by following the steps below: 

• Disconnect all cables from your headphones
  • Connect the larger end of the USB charging cable to a wall charger or a computer that is powered on
  • On the headphones, press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button while connecting the smaller end of the USB cable to the right earcup. The Power LED should quickly blink twice
  • Once connected, release the Power/Bluetooth button after two seconds.

I look forward to hearing back from you all with the results of the steps above. 

Kind regards, 

Hector B 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 9, 2019

Yes, I have the solution.

By sound of it, I had the same exact problem you described. By chance I stumbled upon the solution, though I'm not sure if for whatever reason it will work for you.

Make sure your Bose700 is connected to your computer. In your computer Search Box, search for "Change System Sounds." Alternatively, you can find this somewhere in control panel. Select it.  A window titled "Sound" should pop up. Select the tab "Playback." You should see a list of all your playback devices. The two devices that pertain to your Bose700 are: "Headset (Hands Free AG Audio)" and "Headphones (Stereo)." You need to set the Headset to BOTH your "Default Device" and "Default Communication Device" (Ie, give it all the defaults available). Then your problem should be fixed.

The nature of the problem:

By default, the computer has your Headset designed as "default communications device," and your Headphones designated "Default Device." It is this split that is causing the problem.

Hope this helps

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

Note for moderator - I realize this is partially a problem with Windows, but Bose probably needs to find a way to make this the default behavior.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

I encountered a problem with the solution of setting the default audio devices - the music sounds terrible. The Bose headset seems to be modifying the sound profile in some way, but I don't understand. How do I get normal audio output?

Unrelated - the headset itself is awesome, it's just that this comes up really often for me and is driving me a bit crazy 😂