HannibalTC
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 4, 2019

Re: Bose 700 headphones need a “switch device” button

I came here to chime in on the importance of cycling through devices with a button. It is a mandatory feature on my QC35, as I have the maximum of 8 devices in the connection list and have to switch around a lot between devices at home/commute/work. Got my 700 today and love them, but this is a make or break feature for me. Let me remap that ANC favorite settings button to cycle through devices, I only use the hearthrough long press anyway. Not having this core ability is a showstopper reason for me, being forced to return the headphones otherwise and stick to my QC35s. Please do something about this that does not involve using an app, thanks!
limbnology
Participant
Registered since

Jul 5, 2019

I, too, was appalled at the fact that the ability to switch between previously paired devices without the use of an app was not carried over from the QCs.

The inconvenience of now having to rely on the Bose Music App exclusively to switch to a disconnected but previously paired device is significant enough that I am solely paired to at most two devices, which I hope Bose, whose work on this product was excellent in every other department, probably didn't intend.

Unfortunately, I don't suspect that the number of customers who will ask for the return of this feature will diminish. Please, please include this feature in a software update!

1Okami
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 5, 2019

+1 on this significant feature omission.  In this day and age I work with and carry several distinct devices in my kit with Bluetooth audio capabilities.  Easily one the best features of the QC35s is the ability to cycle through the list pair devices to the one I want actively to connect to.  I used that feature tremendously.  I switched to Sony headphones because you guys dragged your feet on USB-C and while the Sony headphones have great audio quality and noise cancellation, I missed from day one the ability to cycle through my devices and it was point of continual frustration with my Sony headphones.  I’ve been waiting waiting waiting for the day you guys finally got with the times with USB-C so I could regain this feature.  I made the IMO reasonable assumption it would carry over from the QC35 so I hope you an imagine with tremendous disappointment when I find out you left the feature out.

Why the heck would you do that?!?  Would it have hurt to have the Bluetooth button do that and make powering on/off a long press (something I’d strongly argue should be the power on/off mechanism anyway.  I mistake tap of the button ideally should NOT power the headphones on or off).  I cannot understand why you would omit this feature?  Did you think people didn’t use it?  Did you think it was insignificant to the UX?  Do you realize people have several Bluetooth devices they interact with?  You took a step back from the QC35 doing this.  And without it, frankly beside the multi-point (2-device) connectivity it gives me little reason to bother with these given my Sony headphones.  I would appreciate some form of confirmation that this is being looked into and ideally with plans to implement via a software update.  Otherwise I may have to return these.  Frankly I’m not sure I find them worth the price tag without the feature given I still have the Sony 1000XM3 (which stands more toe-to-toe given neither pair of headphones has the feature as of now).

Skov
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 7, 2019

On the NC 700 the ability to easily switch between devices is critical, as other community members have shared if you have more than two devices - in my case 5 - you want to be able to intentionally switch between them from the headset without having to use the phone app or "wait" for the headset to cycle through the list waiting for each device to timeout.   When I pickup my headset I'm doing so with a specific purpose in mind and in some cases may not have my phone.

A simple software fix could be to apply the solution used by your own Bose Soundsport Wireless, which also has a single button for power and bluetooth - 

• short press to power on,
  • once powered on short press to cycle devices - you get a voice prompt naming the next device in your list of previously attached devices,
  • long press to turn the device off, and
  • if you want to pair a new device long press from off they power on into pairing mode/  

Given the NC 700 have one power/bluetooth button it could use the same model as the Bose Soundsport Wireless .. a link to your own instructions:

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/reconnecting-a-bluetooth-device.html

Alternatively @metaxaos suggestion of giving the option to use the NC button is also something that would work for me.

moonsurfer
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

+1 I've been giving everyone thumbs up who has responded to this topic but I've seen little response from Bose. I feel I need to add my two cents to show just how important this feature is to me.

The main reason I bought these headphones was because I work from home and I travel for my job. Bose 700 NC capabilities, especially while on a call, is exactly what I need. Like most here, I'm connected to two devices all day long. The current responses I've seen for Bose is your supposed to pause one audio feed so you can listen to another. IMO, that's about useless.

Even if I silence my phone, when a notification comes through where no sound is generated, my audio starts cracking as it's trying to play audio from two places. I'd MUCH prefer the ability to switch between devices.

Someone from Bose....Please respond and let the community know that you've heard this request and are working on a solution. Since I joined this forum a week ago, I've seen "This has been added as a feature request." but as far as I'm concerned that's a black hole. I've seen no one from the dev team say that something is actually being worked on or this will be resolved in a future firmware release. I realize this is a new phone but features like the one mentioned in this thread are essential and for Bose's new flagship wireless headphones it needs to be added.

Hector_B

Hi Moonsurfer, 

Thanks for posting and reaching back out to us today. 

I have passed this information on and made the team aware of this request. I don't currently have any further information regarding this at this moment in time and will update this thread as soon as I know more. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
tranquilitybase
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

This should be considered a critical update.  Please let us know if this has been added to the development pipeline, and if so, when we should expect it.  I'll be returning these headphones and using my old QC-35s if this issue isn't resolved before the end of the month.  

Hector_B

Hi Tranquilitybase, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

This is all the information that I currently have regarding this feature and I appreciate your feedback regarding this. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
skippo
Participant
Registered since

Jul 15, 2019

I’d like to add my own feedback to this key missing feature that I used so frequently with the QC35s. Please add this switch Bluetooth source capability into the headset’s buttons. 

This is would be so welcome. 

Opening the Bose Music app to switch is so inconvenient and in many cases not possible if you are away from the device with the app installed. 

E.g. I have an iPhone, iPad, Apple watch, MacBook Pro, SIP phone, Apple TV all paired. How do I switch between them all easily?

This is is almost a showstopper for me and leaves me not feeling great and able to recommend these 700s to anyone. 

Look forward to to a future firmware fix. 

Iamkloot
Participant
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

I have just had to return my Bose 700 headphones due to an inability to switch between connected devices. I was connected to them both but there is seemingly no way to switch between the devices other than disconnecting the other. Of course if you disconnect the phone you can no longer use the app. I also had the phone making 2 Bluetooth connections to the headphones under different names and it was very buggy about detecting the headphones in the app once you manage to reconnect.

Liked the headphones other than being pretty much unusable for what I wanted them for. May look to buy again if bose come up with a way of switching devices.