Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 15, 2019

Re: Bose 700 headphones need a “switch device” button

This is all you keep saying, at least provide some acknowledgement of the problem and commitment to fixing it - or if it’s not going to happen just say it, just tell us something instead of constantly leaving us all hanging wondering if it’ll ever get sorted.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 5, 2019

It's sounding like the perhaps a problem is the moderators aren't kept well-enough in the loop into the technical team's roadmap so this is all they can tell us because they don't know themselves.  If so I can't blame them for that but as a customer it puts a sour taste in my mouth with "Bose".  These moderators shouldn't be kept in the dark any more than we are and the fact that they are means we indeed can't even get a formal acknowledgement of the issue.

As a customer looking out for the best interests in spending my hard-earned money I have to assume that means Bose doesn't really care (if you do, prove it).  Also as a customer it means I'm looking to Sony, Apple, Sennheiser etc to deliver quality headphones with the pleasant pairing/connectivity experience the QuietComfort 35s had and I'll drop Bose from my kit.  Apple is already there with the pairing/connectivity.  Sony is already there with the audio quality.  Once I find some headphones which puts it together, I'm out, Bose.

Again, I understand the moderators can only do and share what they can and know, but in the end the situation still sucks for customers dealing the pain of Bose's oversight.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 4, 2019

I am very disappointed to see that this issue isn't taken seriously by the development team as of the latest firmware update 1.2.11. This was the stand-out feature of the QC35s (not the noise cancellation, everybody has that now). I understand that Bose counts the 700s as a different branch of ANC headphones in their lineup, but how can this be missing from a 400€ headset that wants to be business oriented? I am sad both for nothing happening regarding this and the fact that I can not return mine any more. Whenver these break I will consider thrice if I buy Bose again (after my QC35s broke 2 months after warranty and now this).

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 1, 2019

Yikes. The responses from the moderators are embarrassing. 

They don't even acknowledge the problem. 

Just got the headphones a couple of days ago and I'm having exactly the same problem as everyone else here. 

Not worth the effort. 

Returning. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 5, 2019

I agree this is an important topic. However my use case is slightly different. I love the multipoint! It means I can be listening to my computer and then receive a phone call without doing anything because it was automatically connected to both devices. However, I want to be able to manually disable a paired device and have it stay off until I reenable it. 

Here’s my example. I’m paired to my phone, laptop and FireTV. In the morning when I’m getting ready to leave the house I put on the headphones and get some music going. The headphones immediately connect to both, and alert me. As soon as I leave the house I’m interrupted by being told it lost the connection to the FireTV. In reality I use the tv connection very rarely late at night if I’m up so I don’t wake my partner. I want the FireTV to stay disconnected once I disable it in the app and only reconnect when I use the on button again. 

if that’s not possible then I also support using the button to switch devices. Also the power off should DEFINITELY be turned into a long press!!!!! I shouldn’t have to accidentally drop a call by hitting that button. (And the button is too easy to hit while you put the headphones on or off)

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 24, 2019

this!!!! a thousand times

I have exactly the same problem, headphones are connected to both my windows 10 laptop and Samsung Note 10+ and most of the time I try to play audio from Note 10+ I see the bar moving but no sound at all, if I go to the app and tap on source it says "streaming from laptop" and there is no way to force switch the "streaming from source" other than having to turn off the switch on the laptop completely and I have to go to the app again if I want to listen something from the laptop, it's is extremely frustrating because the app doesn't even stay connected and takes A LOOOT of time to connect every single time I open the app just so I can make a quick switch on the settings.

COME ONE BOSE, HEADPHONES ARE UNSUSABLE AND IT'S BEEN MONTHS SINCE THIS THREAD WAS OPENED AND SAME PROBLEM REPORTED BY SEVERAL USERS WHAT'S GOING ON!!!!!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 24, 2019

Seriously why can't they add another option to "shortcut" options (long touch) in the app to switch between paired devices instead of "hear battery level" or "enable/disable wake word"

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 5, 2019

Just as a bit of narrative-framed feedback for the tech team and/or whoever drives the decisions behind product development:

I originally stated on this issue that a fundamental reason I was a fan of the QuietComfort 35 was the excellent multi-device connectivity experience.  I maintain several Bluetooth audio devices in my kit of which most if not all get paired with my headphones and it is a incredibly convenient user experience to be able to simply and painlessly cycle through the list to connect to the one I'm actively using.  No need to bring up any special menu on the device, especially then the device's menu system can be cumbersome or disruptive.  It is a superb feature of the QuietComfort 35.  

USB-C represented USB connections finally living up to their namesake making it also incredibly convenient to finally be able to use one standard cable practically universally across different devices from different vendors and it was disappointing that the Bose QuietComfort 35 II's launched with an outdated micro-USB connection.  By that point in time I was phasing that tech out of my kit and decided to upgrade to the next best option I could find: Sony WH-1000XM3.  While I loved the audio quality, comfort and battery life, the user experience of being paired with and actively connecting to the several devices in my kit left a lot to be desired compared to the QuietComfort 35.  The Sony experience is crude in comparison so as much as I love the audio-experience in and of itself, I missed the usability experience of the QuietComfort 35.

Now perhaps I should blame my own naivety but when I learned of the Bose Noise Cancelling 700 I was incredibly excited.  They're marketed with a focus on noise cancelling which, considering ANC was already a standout feature of the QuietComfort 35 gave me the impression they'd be absolutely outstanding on these.  They finally brought Bose headphones into the modern USB connectivity era allowing them to fit right into my kit with standard/universal cable compatibility, and forgive me if was "wrong" for this but I figured it was only natural to assume Bose would fundamentally build on the technology they had with the QuietComfort 35, namely the pairing/connectivity experience that made the QuietComfort 35 such a joy to use (even to this very day).  It was so important to me that I didn't hesitate shelving my Sony headphones and their outstanding audio quality in tradeoff for having that experience again.  Imagine my shock and disappointment when I discovered that Bose evidently doesn't value that user experience nearly as much as their users do by selling me a new set of headphones that, in my eyes, thinks it's taking a step forward in user experience but has actually taken a step back from that of the QuietComfort 35 (and I don't need to go into detail about that because this and other threads on this forum should be more than enough).  Also imagine my exacerbated disappointment when I and others not only point out this out along with envisioning ways in which the sub-optimal user experience can be improved with software, yet we cannot even get a formal acknowledgement of the pain (and I'm speaking towards the decision-makers not the moderators who have at least forwarded the feedback) let alone any word of potential efforts to address it.  As I've said before, the disappointing handling of this puts a sour taste in my mouth with Bose.

Well in the time since the NC 700s debuted I've added Apple H1 chip-equipped earbuds to my kit, technology which goes a LONG way to living up to and in some ways surpassing the pairing/connectivity user experience I enjoyed so much with the QuietComfort 35.  Once upon a time I'd keep a special, "mobile" pair of Bose headphones with me for when I was on the go and wear them on the go.  Those have now been firmly replaced with AirPods Pro which are a joy to pair and use.  And frankly, this morning after I fumbling around with the Bose Music app trying to at first get it to actively connect my NC 700 to my MacBook, then later trying to switch it to another device with the darn sliders giving me false positives, only able to achieve a successful switch after over a minute of fumbling with the sliders and turning the headphones off/on I realized I've been having similar frustrations to what I had with my Sony WH-1000XM3 and after recalling these headphones recently just had an update which yet again doesn't address this issue I really had to ask myself...how much am I really benefitting from these?

You know I just so happened to have had my Sony's packed up in the case in my desk and pulled them out, updated with the latest firmware, reset my old equalizer settings (another nice benefit I gave up in tradeoff for what I'd hoped to be a great user experience), put them over my ears and was immediately elated to remember how much more comfortable they are compared to what I'd gotten used to with the NC 700, got a demo of the new 360 Spatial Audio feature which reminded me how much I always enjoyed with outstanding audio quality of these and I realized...though the user experience sucks for someone with like me with so many Bluetooth audio devices in my kit, I've frankly come to know that I'm not losing a whole lot compared to the user experience of the NC 700, I'm only losing a whole lot compared to the user experience of QuietComfort 35.

Between my Sonys and my H1-equipped mobile ear buds I frankly have no more justification or desire to keep the NC 700 in my kit and I'm dropping them.  It's not only disappointing, but frustrating when as a user you witness a technology company iterate on a product category and "fixes" something which was not only not even broken but was actually outstanding in the first place...and degrades it for no good reason.  It's at least as frustrating when you see another company actually realizing the value of the user experience and capitalizing on it (Apple) in the meantime.  It's even more frustrating when I you can envision a small tweak making all the difference in the world, but your feedback and suggestions regarding appear to fall on deaf, apathetic ears.  

Best wish those still using the NC 700 despite the pain of the obviously flawed under experience.  As a consumer I'm exercise my options and I'm done with these.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 1, 2019

Completely aligned with this last Comment.

I had the Quiet Confort 35 for 2 years and was using multiple times a day the cycle through device features as I have a laptop computer, a desktop computer and 2 phones linked to my headset. having 2 actively connected to the headset and the first one for using Siri was a must have form to be able to chose the devices actively connected.

It feels a step backward in User experience. But this should be solvable by a simple software update.

Please consider this feature that you already have, back on this new Headset.

Thanks,

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 9, 2019

I do not read to the complete thread. But I really miss this feature. My girlfriend is having the i35 and now I'm currently using the i35 from her instead of my own Bose 700.

I really hope you Bose will release a firmware update (maybe optional?) to change the buttons to function like most of the people replied. That makes absolute sense.

• switch devices on button click (maybe for the google assistant button, most of the people do not need this. or long-pressing this button could activate google assistant than. Or the other way around)
  • power on/off on long pressing the power button