Highlighted
Ashwanth
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 15, 2017

Bose 700 headphones sound signature is treble heavy

I just upgraded from SoundLink Wireless Around-Ear Headphones II to Bose 700. Had to replace SoundLink II a couple of times after the purchase because the sound signature in the firmware updates became so treble heavy and the vocals became screechy. The Bose 700 out of the box is no different. 

It is so blatantly distinguishable from the 1.0.8 firmware that Sound link II has out of the box. I reported this to Bose's team and looks like they aren't fixing this anytime soon. I hope there's someone like me who's feeling the same. 30 minutes of richly orchestrated songs with dominant lead vocals fatigues my ears easily. It is so screeching-ly treble heavy. Managing with equalizers so far by boosting the bass frequencies a little bit and pulling 8k and 16ks by upto 4dBs. 

Can someone from the Bose's team please look into it? Compare the 1.0.8 firmware to current ones's, It is so easily distinguishable. 

PS: Any options to potentially install the 1.0.8 on BOSE 700? That would be really lovely if it is possible.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
AlexandrVetrov
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 10, 2019

Re: Bose 700 headphones sound signature is treble heavy

I has the same issue. After upgrade to latest SW sound is so treble.

Highlighted
Ashwanth
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 15, 2017

Can you please look into this? @Anne_S 

Thank you.

Highlighted
AlexandrVetrov
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 10, 2019

Unfortunately i can't even downgrade SW because Bose updater doesn't work. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi both,

I am sorry to hear that you are not satisified with the sound profile of your NC 700 headphones. I have to say, this issue is not something that I have heard of but I will forward your feedback to the team.

In the meantime, as mentioned by Ashwanth, the best course of action is to manage the sound balance through equalizers.

I also invite any other user who might have come accross the same issue to let us know.

All the best,

Anne S

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
dukemovie
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2020

I have a pair of 700s that I just got. They sounded pretty good, but after update to Version 1.3.1 - they sound way too treble heavy. Any way to fix this?

Highlighted
luzhin
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 24, 2020

Can confirm that my 700 also has the treble heavy sound, mostly noticeable when I play hd audio (flac etc.)

Highlighted
Ashwanth
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 15, 2017

Agree. I mostly have flac files stored locally on my phone and the signature is too screechy and treble heavy. My ears get fatigued after a few minutes. Only way to manage is using EQs which then defeats the purpose of shelling out 300 bucks for a headphones. I have contacted the feedback team multiple times but looks like we just have to deal with this. Maybe they felt the mainstream music listeners do not care about audio signatures anymore? That's a shame because I rate Bose highly because of their neutral sound signature.