Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 18, 2020

Re: Bose 700 hindge noises

Oh, I've started the same topic recently.

I could confirm that I have exactly the same issue with my headphones.

I've contacted BOSE for replacement and...replaced pair is having exactly the same issue.

It's obviously design fault and should be addressed by bose.

I would switch back to my QC35 II and if they won't do anything about it - probably would be a good sign that I need to find a better manufacturer to give my money to.

This is not what you should expect from headphones you've paid 400 dollars for.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

As I have commented earlier, this is a design issue/flaw and not isolated to few units. However I have now had the same pair of Bose 700 Headphones for over 2 months now (original unit) and can confirm that the hinge noise issue has become significantly low/ even disappeared......this is because I have learnt/realized the perfect angle and tightness that they need to be (on my head). So now I sometimes I do hear the hinge noise but its very low...and sometimes nothing at all!!!!! And I did test them turned on with no music playing and level 10 ANC.

So it is all about learning how to make them fit (PERFECTLY) to not have any hinge noise and it takes time (for me it took over 2 months) but now I enjoy them without any major complaints. This does not mean that there isn't a design flaw however it can be overcome by perfecting the fit on your head with the right angle and tightness. 

Hope it helps!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 18, 2020

I really don't think that I should try and find PERFECT angle using headphones I've paid 399 dollars for.

Probably it would be better just to return them.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 31, 2020

you can just return the device and have your money back or buy another device that goes head to head with it. If they haven't replied or given any indication of having it repaired/ changed/ or fixed, there isn't any overhead budget for them to fix it. Hence, the silence in the chat room or... it would just be a first-line answer to your query with another question, then nothing more. It's like dumbing down the issue until the ranting goes quiet.

They might have missed this part of the design. I think the main reason why they released the 700 model quickly was to go against Sony's Noise Cancelling headphones and have a competition against it during the holiday season otherwise Sony will have the market sale mostly.

To do it in a hurry means, they might have not thought it through ending in bad result in after-sales. Then hoping their name can carry the bad rep of the device design... hence maybe no budget or worse, no plan to fix. but then again... that's just me... its all about the numbers in sales and finance.

Those who use the headphones only at home, and not moving or not using in transit might not be complaining regarding this issue so their feedback is always positive about this.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 27, 2019

I'm having the same problem and since googling it, I have found this thread of comments.

I have to agree, there is a very audible nudging of the headband against the earcup and it's extremely annoying. When I am not listening to anything, even moving my jaw a slight bit will trigger a noise.

Hearing that other peoples replacement headphones are also having this issue is quite concerning, and I'm writing this comment today to find out if anyone has found a solution to this problem. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 4, 2020

My solution. It works pretty well. Obviously, it's ugly. But I'm 100% sure that without that, it's not possible to use the headphones without noticing the noise.

https://ibb.co/jZRrx0j  

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 21, 2020

I ended up returning mine.  Not only does the hinge feel and move cheaply, but if the cup is at an angle, it will impact and scuff the plastic earcups.  I'm not sure if they had to go plastic for the touch controls, but they dropped the ball in terms of engineering (design & materials).  I think the sound overall is a little bit better than the QC 35 II, but I honestly went with those instead.  The power switch on the QC 35 II is nice and firm BTW.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 26, 2018

I have had this problem for months, and it is getting worse. Your problem may be the same as mine - loose hinges.

Hold the headphones by the band, near the earcup, and gently push and pull the earcup away from and towards the band. Do you hear/feel the loose hinge? The sound is like plastic tapping against metal.

I bought these close to release day, and wear them a lot (10+ hours per weekday). So, as a heavy user, I will notice wear-in issues before others do. Unfortunately, this issue is quite disruptive, as I now hear it even when I make a facial expression. Raising my eyebrows creates enough motion to hear the "click clack" noise.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 18, 2020

Was this issue resolved in newer revisions?

I'm considering purchasing a pair and currently in between sony xm4 and bose 700

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 11, 2020

Bose NC 700 squeaks and creaks

When tilting or moving my head, the right earcup of my Bose NC 700 is squeaking and creaking.It's driving me crazy. I tried to clean it and I removed all the dirt and dust. Yet no result. Any tips?