paspep
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

Bose 700 hindge noises

Hello, 

Can I please confirm if it is normal for the headphone's hindge making subtle but noticeable noises (crackling) when walking?

I can hear these while wearing the headphones when adjusting the headband as well.

Can't hear it with music on and it's not always present but noticeable in podcasts when it takes place.

Wearing them tighter kind of helps. 

Kind regards, 

George. 

10 REPLIES 10
jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Bose 700 hindge noises

Maybe some sort of lubricant on the hinge would help.

Hello Paspep,

Thank you very much for your message, we are very sorry to hear that you are experiencing this crackling noise with the hinges of your Noise Cancelling 700 Headphones. 

We have tested this and we can not seem to notice such crackling with the hinge of the headphones. If this is something of concern to you, I would recommend that you contact your regions Bose product support team who will be able to assist you with this matter further. Please follow this link select your region and scroll down to "Contact Us". There you will find the appropriate contact information and an agent will happily assist you with this matter further.

Please let us know how you get on. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M - Community Support 

paspep
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

will do, thank you.

I believe that what is happening is the fact that the hidge is free to touch the earcups on angles thus making these sounds on movement. 

For instance, while you wear them, if you move the headband slightly back and forth (a movement that will naturally occur) the hidge hits the earcup on the sides making noise. It is not too noticeable but expected more at this price when peace and quiet is the aim. 

It is a shame as the features and rest of quality is top notch. 

Kind regards. 

Jay H
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

They all have this issue due to the single stem for a band and as described the inner groove will hit the band during moving or shaking. Worst of all this happened to me on a flight take off and flight landing when the vibrations of the plane made it rattle. Its not a crackling noise.. its not due to sound issues, its purely due to the single stem head band touching the inside of the ear cups. I am compromising on all the other issues people have mentioned... the discomfort from clamping/ or bulging padding of headband, added headband weight (causing it to slip forward or back), connection issues, app issues, etc... but the rattle might be the the thing that loses me. 

They make an audible rattling noise on airplanes of all things: these aren't worth all those other compromise if it can't be steady on an airplane. Its as easy as holding the headpones from the top headband and slightly shaking them to hear the rattle. This didnt happen when there were two hinges as it couldnt move left to right like this. How could you guys not test this? Other issues can get better with updates, getting used to it... theres no way this rattle gets better. So disappointed. 

JW023
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

I also have noticed this rattle of the cups against the band, I have it virtually totally whilst walking. As I use for commuting it’s a big part of my usage. The headphones I love otherwise but this rattle overrides the noise cancellation and completely ruins the experience for me. I’m assuming this is just a design fault and not something that would be fixed with a replacement?  I am seriously considering taking them back for a refund as this simply doesn’t seem acceptable it also gives feeling of a very cheap product...

paspep
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

I will be sending my set back due to this for a refund. 

It would be great if Bose confirmed this for us though. Is this by design and all have it or not.

ode2summer
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 14, 2019

Yep i have the same problem but only seems to be an issue with the right earcup.

It's fine with music playing but it gets really annoying with podcasts unless I was very lightly.

JW023
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

By the way (shouldn’t be required) but I actually stuck a tiny strip of sticky back felt on each of the bars to reduce the room for movement to knock back and forth and it actually works perfectly. I.e. no rattle or movement, still able to slide the ear cups, and don’t think noticeable at all either.

crazy that I needed to do this (or actually did do it) but it has solved that problem for me FYI. 

davidtea
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 12, 2019

I recently purchased this headset and expierencing the same issue as other have reported.

It is definately a design fault where there is some movement from the earcups taps against the headband causing this noise espeically when walking or when you have your music down. Even with noise cancelling on level 10 the noise is still apprent. Quite disappointing considering the cost of this headset.