lileikis
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 29, 2020

Bose 700 microphone provides a muffled voice sound (when making phone calls ONLY)

When I use my Bose 700 (for phone calls only) the person at the other end heard my voice very muffled making it hard for them to understand what I am saying. I get this problem consistently when making a call using both an android phone or a Windows 10 machine. I haven't tried any other devices.

If instead of making a call on my windows 10 machine, if I just simply bring up a local record program and record on my Windows machine using my Bose microphone, the sound quality is perfect. If recording across a phone call to voicemail the audio is muffled. The problem only occurs when making calls and it is just the person at the other end listening to me with my Bose 700 and they hear the muffled sound.

The Bose 700 works perfectly for listening to music or as I mentioned, recording the microphone using a local Windows record program. When doing a call the other end gets a muffled sound even when going to voice mail. This problem happens with either a Bluetooth connection to the windows machine or using a direct cable connection using the Bose provided audio cable.

I received the Bose 700 as a gift and have no warranty.

Really sucks because the main purpose of having this very expensive headphone is for making calls so that people could hear me clearly!!

Bose 700

Canada

Firmware Version

Latest download November 29/2020 version 1.8.2

App Version

any phone app on Windows or Android

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

Samsung Galaxy S7 or Windows 10

A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

See above. Connect the Bose 700 to my Windows 10 machine using either Bluetooth or using the audio cables and making a phone call

What environment do you experience the issue in?

The person that I call where I am using the bose 700 will hear my audio as muffled.

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Allways had this problem since I received it brand new as a gift

Any troubleshooting steps you took

- Using the headset to listen to music works perfectly.

- recording the bose 700 microphones when not on a call and recording the microphone locally on my Windows 10 machine has no issues with the audio. The audio issue is detected by the person listening to my Bose 700 audio at the other end of a phone call only.

9 REPLIES 9
Lejonklou
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 16, 2019

Re: Bose 700 microphone provides a muffled voice sound (when making phone calls ONLY)

I have the same problem and have reported about it in other threads in this community. I have used my NC700's with iPhones (7+ and 11).

The problem wasn't there to begin with, when I first received the NC700's (preordered before it was released, so it was an early pair). I didn't pay any attention to the firmware back then, but when the problems started, the firmware had been updated. And the problem has remained ever since. I received a replacement pair from Bose and they seemed to work fine at first, but then the problems returned (again, I suspect because the firmware was updated).

Bose 700

Sweden

Firmware Version

App Version

Bose Music 4.1.1

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

iPhone 11

A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

The person that I call when using my Bose 700's will hear my audio as muffled and difficult to hear.

What environment do you experience the issue in?

Often my voice sounds the worst (very difficult to hear) when I'm sitting in a quiet room with no wall or screen nearby. If there is a lot of surrounding noise, the NC700's will occasionally focus on the noise and drown out my voice. But sometimes the noise will be drowned out and my voice will come into focus. It's as if the NC700's have problems deciding what is surrounding noise and what is my voice.

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Worked fine on arrival (just after the release of the product), then running the earliest firmware. Suddenly the problem appeared, likely due to firmware update. Same thing happened with a replacement pair.

Any troubleshooting steps you took

Deleting phones, reinstalling them, deleting app, reinstalling it - all of this multiple times. One thing that briefly helped was to install the NC700's on a different phone (Android) and then reinstalling them on mine. The problem soon returned, however.

lileikis
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 29, 2020

Re: Bose 700 microphone provides a muffled voice sound (when making phone calls ONLY)

Thank you for your input. Because the microphone works perfectly when recording audio locally when not doing a phone call convinces me as well that this is a Bose software problem. The main reason why I have this expensive headset is to make calls and the fact that it doesn't work, renders them useless to me. It is very disappointing that Bose appears to be leaving us high and dry. This isn't something that I expect when spending large amounts of money.

scarelsten
Participant
Registered since

Dec 1, 2020

Same thing is happening to me.  I was lucky and had a warranty and they replaced it with a new pair, but... same thing.  Everyone is complaining that when I call them they can't hardly hear me and that I'm muffled.  Try to turn off and on the bluetooth and it seems to help for a short period and then back to muffled sound.  Expensive pair of headphones I bought for phone calls and not working.  Sad, I go back to my free pair of Apple corded ear buds and they work great.  Not sure what to do as I already returned one pair; why return for the same issue.

santerianumero1
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2020

I have the exact same problem. Glad to see it's not just me. Hopefully a new firmware corrects this. On WhatsApp calls the mic sounds perfect but on cellular it is hot garbage. 

lileikis
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 29, 2020

Good to know that it at least works when doing calls with WhatsApp. Thanks for that! That is however not a phone call using the PSTN which appears to be where the Bose 700 has issues.

santerianumero1
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2020

I've also discovered that on Webex, Bluejeans, and just about any other data call, the mic sounds perfect.  On cellular, it's muffled and tunneled and in some cases, barely audible.  Really disappointed in this.  Mine is out of warranty also, which is quite terrible.  Bose better fix this.

Vliegendepater
Participant
Registered since

Sep 30, 2020

I do have the same issue. I bought the headset because I need it professionaly to make calls. Waste of money because my contacts can't understand me. PLEASE FIX THIS!!! 

DBernier99
Participant
Registered since

Apr 7, 2021

I do have the same issue. I bought the headset for customer service as I run a business. I noticed that the microphone will work properly if I’m standing up, if I am slightly slanted to the left or right, it become muffled for the customer. It’s ackwards not moving to avoid this issue. PEASE FIX THIS!!!

Bose 700

Canada

Firmware Version

Latest download version 1.8.2

Jessie_O

Hey!

Thank you for posting! 

For microphone issues, I would recommend following the troubleshooting steps outlined HERE

Let me know how you get on! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!