Participant
Registered since

May 21, 2020

Bose 700 noise cancelling headphone flutter in right ear

I have a set of Bose 700 Noise Cancelling Headphones

There is an intermittent problem where I hear a noise that is best described as "fluttering" - it is like the headphone speaker is flapping about at an almost inaudible level, but it feels like a very irritating fluttering sensation in the ear. This occurs only in the right ear, the left if fine.

It comes and goes randomly, but stays for several hours to a day, then disappears for days at a time.

The problem is not related to any device - I have tested it with 2 different phones and 2 different laptops, all with the same result. The noise persists when music is playing, or when nothing is playing. It persists when no devices are paired, or when all devices are un-paired and re-paired. It persists when nose cancelling is turned on and off.
I have turned the headphones on and off. I have re-set the headphones using the instructions on the Bose site. I have updated the latest firmware.

Nothing I have tried has addressed the issue. All other features of the headphones are working fine.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Bose 700 noise cancelling headphone flutter in right ear

Hello, 

Thanks for reaching out, I am very sorry to hear that you are having this experience with your headphones. Thanks for already trying some great troubleshooting steps. 

Can you try using a cabled connection and a Bluetooth connection to your devices to see if this persists?
Have you taken a look at the ear cushions to ensure that they are secure?

Do let us know.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 21, 2020

Hi,

Yes, problem persists when no bluetooth connections are present. Problem persists when playing music (via cable or bluetooth) and when no sound is playing.

The right ear cup cushion is well attached.

Thanks,
-James

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 26, 2020

Hi there,
I'm having the same issue. It's like an very subtle burst of white noise. Very quiet, and yet incredibly distracting.  I bought these for noise cancellation with no audio playing, so it is as distracting as having someone gently tapping me on the shoulder every few seconds. 

The issue is small bursts lasting anywhere from quarter second to a few seconds. It is intermittent, not patterned, and does not resolve when disconnected to all bluetooth sources or a corded connection.

Highlighted

Hi both, 

Thank you for coming back to me!

Have you tried an update? I have included the LINK HERE, simply click it on a laptop or PC and follow the on-screen instructions. 

Let me know how it goes!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 26, 2020

Hi there,
I did the update, and the app indicated that the device was already up to date. I have had these for only a couple weeks.

The issue persists, though it might be quieter or varying in "volume".

A more permanent solution would be helpful. I have tried your online support, but receive a message that support is not currently available. I called, and was cut off after being on hold for ~60 minutes.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 21, 2020

I've done the update too, and the problem persists.