willdude
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

Bose 700 "crackle" during plane takeoff (or in other loud environments?)

I used my new Bose 700s this past week on vacation, and experienced something odd during the takeoff of each of 3 flights. I'd be listening to music, and during takeoff as the engines revved up, the headphones would emit a crackling sound, kind of akin to the sound of a coffee machine percolating. I paused the music I was listening to, and tried toggling between the 3 NC levels (10, 5 and 0), but the crackling persisted. After about 30 seconds or so, once we were up in the air and the engine noise subsided, the crackling stopped, and it was fine for the rest of the flight.

My guess is this was a result of the noise-cancelling trying and failing to account for the loud, irregular sound of the plane engines during takeoff. Since the Bose Music app didn't work, I wasn't able to disable NC entirely to test this theory, but at some point I might try to see if this same thing happens when running like a vaccum cleaner or something.

Have others experienced this? Is this normal for noise-cancellation in this kind of environment?

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Bose 700 "crackle" during plane takeoff (or in other loud environments?)

Hello willdude, 

Thank you for posting in the Bose Community 

I'm very sorry to hear that you experienced this issue during the takeoff of your flight. 

I'd be interested to hear the results on your testing. Additionally, did you notice this happening during landing or just takeoff?

As these are newly released headphones, I'd be keen for other members of the community to comment on their experiences during flights also. 

If you do find that this happens again, I would recommend the following:

- Test the headphones using another device

- Ensure the ear cushions are securely attached and also fitted to your head. (Items such as glasses can affect this)

Resetting your headphones

1. Disconnect all cables from the headphones
  2. Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on
  3. Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth® button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup
  4. Release the Power/Bluetooth button after 2 seconds

Manually update your headphones

• Visit btu.bose.com on your computer and following the instructions to update your Noise Cancelling Headphones 700.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

willdude
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

So I tried my vacuum test, and was not able to recreate the crackle. So maybe I was wrong about it being related to the noise cancelling having problems with loud, irregular noise. Or at least I can't think of another, comparable way to test it. Maybe it was something to do with the vibration during takeoff, and/or the seal against my ears being unstable because of it. (To answer your question, this only happened during takeoff, not landing.)

Still, it'd be interesting to see if anyone has experienced a similar effect in some conditions.

Hello willdude, 

That is certainly strange. Thank you for performing these tests. 

Absolutely. I welcome members of the community to chime in and include their experiences during flying with the Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. 

We will be sure to stay updated on this post and offer any help where needed.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Pagel
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 27, 2019

Hello,

I experienced the same crackle during takeoff and landing on my flight today. However, on another flight yesterday, there was no such noise. I turned them on and off during takeoff and the noise persisted. In both cases, the headphones were connected to both my phone and iPad, with media being played on the iPad.

willdude
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

So just to bring this topic back, I experienced this again recently during takeoff on two flights.  This time I actually had the Bose app working, so I toggled the noise canceling off and on, and the crackle would go away when off, then return when on. Still not sure what exactly it is about a plane's takeoff that causes this, but it definitely has to do with noise canceling. I'll be flying again in a couple weeks if anyone has any ideas to try...

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hello willdude,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Noise-Cancelling Headphones 700, I would be more than happy to help you. Have you tried any of the troubleshooting suggested in this thread?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kindest regards,
Zoe C 

Boterick
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jul 13, 2019

I too have experienced the crackling phenomenon, on two flights out of about 24, same aircraft model, a twin engine propeller type. I noticed it in high noise conditions of takeoff, the headphones are very sensitive to external touch. It could be a very light touch by a pillow, or clothing such as a collar, or our our own shoulder, reaching for something.

The crackling for me stopped as soon as I moved to be clear of whatever was touching. I am guessing the speaker diaphragm throw must be near maximum between the end stops under those conditions, and the slight change of pressure inside the ear-cups, introduced by something pressing on the outside, might be enough to offset the mean operating point of the diaphragm movement, resulting in it colliding with one end stop or the other. I guess this could probably happen with no external touch, from cabin pressure changes whilst in extreme noise conditions also.

Personally I am not bothered; the noise reduction works perfectly the other 99.9% of the time, which is well enough engineered for me, and the sound quality is just beautiful, I can't get enough of it.

iseano90
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 7, 2019

Hey-

I too experienced the exact same issue on 2 separate flights, on 2 different types of planes. On each, the crackling was pretty bad for take off- this doesn't sound like it should be normal. 

Any ideas of a fix?

Thanks.

Hello iseano90, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am so sorry that you are having issues and would love to assist you. 

To start with I would recommend that you try the troubleshooting steps mentioned by @Charlotte_G in the first thread. 

If you have tried this and the issue persisted this will most likely being caused by interference. As it only happens on takeoff, this will be because of the change in pressure and frequencies.

I hope this helps clarifies things, please do let me know if you have any questions. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W