Highlighted
xroot
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

Bose 700 stutter and more

I have a new pair of Bose 700s.

I associated them to my Mac Book Pro and a windows 10 PC.

The problems:

1. Mac Book Pro -- the sounds skips and stutters for the first 5-10 seconds when I turn the headphones on after I get the announcement of the battery life. Then the sound is good.

2. Windows 10 -- stutters, skips, cuts out constantly, sounds are distorted, everything sounds like ultra modern dubstep with extra horror pig squeals.

I only listen to Mac Book Pro at work and can't listen to my windows 10 at home (due to the problem above).

Please, don't tell me to check the cables, restart devices, unpair/pair, and update windows drivers, and the firmware. I know it's tempting. But I already done that a few times. All software/firmware is at the latest version too.

Other bluetooth devices, such as Apple's airpods and beats headphones work great on either device.

The 700 headphones software/firmware is my main suspect at this point.

I can't be the only one with these issues.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Bose 700 stutter and more

Hello xroot,

Thank you for posting! 

I'm sorry to hear about the audio problems you are experiencing with your NC Headphones 700.

When this is happening, are you connected to multiple devices at once or does this happen when connected to a single device only?

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

xroot
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

This happens when I am connected to a single device.

Hello xroot,

As you are primarily connecting to a computer, I would recommend taking a look at this computer related informational post which may provide some insight. 

I would also be intrigued to know if this happens when connected to a mobile device. Would that be possible to test?

I look forward to your response.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

xroot
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

Hi Charlotte G.,

I appreciate your replies.

I have seen the post that you referenced.

Bluetooth is a standard protocol and the idea that engineers can't get the "handshake" right does not sound right to me.

The problems did not happen on a mobile device (android).

I run windows 10 on a z390 EVGA dark motherboard that comes with bluetooth 5.0 onboard.  Can the Bose engineers test with this motherboard? There are not that many 5.0 devices out there. It was a very strange install/setup process on windows too. I followed one of the threads in these forums, otherwise the bundled installation instructions simply did not work.

Even if it does not work with that particular motherboards bluetooth implementation, why does it also stutter on Mac? Why only for a few (very annoying) seconds?

If these headsets are only supposed to work with mobile devices, please, indicate so when selling them, because the Bose webpage does not state that these won't work right with my Mac Book Pro from 2018 or won't install on windows 10.

Thanks.

xroot
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

I suppose this is as far as the forums help? lolz.

I was hoping on at least collecting some debug info for support to take a look.

I did more experimenting:

I unpaired the headset from all other devices [whether in range or out of range] and only kept windows 10 bluetooth 5.0 device paired.

The windows 10 connection _almost_ works now. I.e. the headset shows up as "LE-Bose NC 700 HP" under "Other devices" in "Settings -> Bluetooth and other devices" and as "Bose NC 700 HP" under "Settings --> Audio". The headset still skips for a second or two every other minute or so [sometimes it's constantly skips for 0.5-3.0 sec, sometimes it plays for 2 min straight without a hiccup], but the hogs from hell squeal stopped completely.

At this point I suspect that the headsets poll for other devices' connections uncontrollably thus interrupting/distorting the audio.

Can you engineering people investigate what's going on?

The setup is easy: pair a mac book pro and a windows 10 bluetooth 5.0 device to your headset. Try listening to music on windows 10. Unpair mac book pro and almost enjoy the sound on windows 10.

I hope this to be addressed soon. Thanks.