Apr 22, 2020

Re: Bose 700 stutter and more

UGH SAME ISSUE!

jazza012
Participant
Registered since

Apr 22, 2020

I am facing the same issue. When connected to android it works like a charm.. but with the laptop (Surface Book 2) it is a nightmare.. constant stutter. on VLC if I change the audio device to the hands-free AG Audio instead of stereo option for the headphones it works without the stutter (but lacks all its audio enhancements and works like an ordinary headset). 

sdc2008
Participant
Registered since

Apr 24, 2020

4/23/2020
1. Received new Bose 700 headphones.
2. Turned on Bluetooth in iPad, Bose paired and connected easily.
3. Installed the Bose Music App on iTunes, basically it was just a Tutorial as I recall.
4. Bose 700 HP sounded great with iTunes on Apple iPad (vintage, about 7 years old).
5. Did the same for my Android phone, worked perfect.
6. Did the same on PC, turned on Bluetooth, Bose paired and connected.
7. Bose did now show up as options in Windows Sound for speakers or microphone.
8. Spent about 10 hours researching to try to fix the problem with no success.
9. In the process, I lost the Bluetooth On/Off toggle in Windows and it defaulted to OFF.
10. Stopped for the night.

4/24/2020
1. Continued searching for a solution, nothing worked.
2. Uninstalled some strange looking devices in Device manager under audio, mouse and keyboard.
3. Searched for updated drivers on all Bluetooth options in Device Manager.
4. Purchased a program called "Driver Easy", it updated 21 drivers, but did not solve the problem.
5. I remembered reading the Bose 700 HP can only connect to two devices simultaneously.
6. Disconnected from iPad.
7. Unplugged USB devices from PC: Logitech camera/microphone and Bose speakers.
8. Bluetooth On/Off toggle reappeared!
9. Bose 700 HP paired and connected with Windows perfectly.
10. Bose 700 HP automatically became my default listening and microphone device in Windows 10.
11. Bose 700 HP works perfectly with iTunes and Skype on Windows 10.

4/25/2020
1. Getting intermittent stutters (about a half second stutter every 60 seconds or so) when playing music through iTunes on my Windows 10 desktop PC.
2. No stuttering when playing videos on Netflix or news channels.
3. Not stuttering at all when playing iTunes on my iPad.

I think this is a Windows 10 Bluetooth problem. I have a Bluetooth receiver built in to the MSI - Z170A GAMING M9 ACK (MS-7966) motherboard. The Bluetooth device is Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Bluetooth (Driver Version 10.0.0.916, Driver Date 8/8/2019).

twf85
Participant
Registered since

May 5, 2020

I am also experiencing this issue with a Win10 PC and Android phone.

Motherboard is ASRock AM4 X470 and phone is Samsung Galaxy S9+.

Here's the real rub. If I DO use these with my PC, I have to disable the connection to my phone, which the App warns me isn't a good idea. I simply do not use these headphones with my PC, and instead use the uncomfortable Jabra's the 700s were meant to replace.

Such a shame. This was my first experience with owning a Bose product.

erock
Contributor
Registered since

May 5, 2020

I too am having the same issue.

When I use the 2.5mm headphone connector, the audio plays fine. Definately a windows bluetooth issue.

I am using windows 10 pro and also connecting to an iphone 6. No issues with the iphone, only windows.

When I switch the audio output to the "hands free Bose" in windows, the choppy audio is resolved. 

I have not run systematic tests, but I do think this is an issue not to be ignored by the bose dev team. If you cannot recreate it, then please say so. If you are working on the issue, I think that would go a long way with your customer relations / loyalty.  Silence is not good PR.

SplatMan_DK
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 6, 2020

@erock wrote:

When I use the 2.5mm headphone connector, the audio plays fine. Definately a windows bluetooth issue.

I disagree with that assertion. I can reproduce the issue with other sources than Windows. If at any time the headphones are connected to two sources, sound starts to stutter. This also happens when none of the connected devices are Windows computers.

I strongly believe this is not a "Windows bluetooth issue" but a "dual connection issue".

I can reproduce it with a tablet+phone, with two concurrent phones (work+private), and with TV+phone.

@erock wrote:

When I switch the audio output to the "hands free Bose" in windows, the choppy audio is resolved. 

The hands-free protocol has significantly reduced sound quality and is close to being unusable. It is there for backwards compatibility with other BT devices. The stuttering stops when using it - yes - but other than actually completing a call, it's not something I'd want to use.

Luxan
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 3, 2017

Here is a workaround for the stuttering issue. If your Headphones is connected to both PC & Phone and you start listening to music from your PC; you will get the bad stutters. These steps solve the issue for me (Using PC & Android Phone):

While the Music (or Youtube, Netflix, etc) is playing on your PC (keep it playing),

- Go to your phone, run a music playing app

- Press play on the phone music app and let it play for like 3 seconds (you wont hear it)

- Press pause on the phone music app

- Stuttering stops completely even with the headphone still connected to both

If you receive a call from your phone, you will have to repeat the above procedure as the stuttering will immediately return after you hang up.

I hope this will work for you guys

LS34
Participant
Registered since

May 7, 2020

Luxan, you are a genius - this worked for me!  This has been driving me crazy with the exact issue - I connect to my computer and play music, but if connected to my Pixel 4 it constantly stutters (might only be after conference calls, have not considered that until now).  Thank you!

To clarify, I am using the Spotify app on my computer and opening Spotify on my phone and pausing didn't work because it's synced between the devices (pausing on the phone pauses the music through the computer).  Once I opened a different app (Google Music in my case) and hit play then pause, it instantly cleared up.  I left Spotify playing over my headphones and PC.

LS34
Participant
Registered since

May 7, 2020

I have seemingly found another solution.  If I open the Bose Music app while the headphones are stuttering and press connect, everything is fixed.  Not sure how long it will last but a fairly simple workaround until Bose identifies the underlying problem.

Anne_S
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

Hey all,

Good news. We released a new firmware version (1.4.12) for the Noise Cancelling 700s today that includes an update for multi-point connection. Please check out the full post for the release here.

We would love to know how it's working out for you so please let us know what you think by commenting in the thread! 

Thanks!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile hereNew to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!