Highlighted
Dian Wessels
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 21, 2019

Bose NC 700 Headphones – Conversation Mode bug

I discovered the following bug with Conversation Mode:

• When listening to music through iTunes on my iMac the button works as expected: it turns off the NC and pauses the music. When pressed again it turns on NC and plays the music (works great!);
  • When listening to music through Chrome (e.g. SoundCloud) the following happens: it turns off the NC and pauses the music for about 2 seconds and then turns on NC and plays the music (rendering the feature useless). Even holding in the button doesn't work, it starts the playback again after 2 seconds. Having the window active or not also makes no difference;

Note that I have replicated this behavior on 2 different machines. I'd be curious to know if other users experience the same.

22 REPLIES 22
Maxim K
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 22, 2019

Re: Bose NC 700 Headphones – Conversation Mode bug

I have (almost) the same issue, came to post about it and discovered your post here. In my case: 

1. Iphone X: conversation mode works as intended

2. Windows 10 + Chrome (tested on Spotify and Youtube):  pressing and holding the ANC button for 1 second pauses playback and ANC, but after about 2 seconds ANC kicks back again. In my case, though, playback is not unpaused, I am just getting silent ANC. Double tap on the touchpad unpases playback. 

I really enjoy the headphones, at least the hardware part, and I hope that all the software-related issues are temporary and merely teething problems. 

UPDATE: Firefox and Edge give the behavior the OP describes---both ANC and playback pause are reverted after some 2 seconds after being engaged. Seems like a bug. 

Maxim K
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 22, 2019

I've made some progress in investigating the issue. If you experience a similar bug, please post whether it has the same characteristics. It probably be useful in bug replication. 

Setup:

I have two Lenovo laptops (P50 and Legion Y720), both running Windows 10 (Enterprise and Home respectively), with the same latest Chrome version: 75.0.3770.142 (Official Build) (64-bit). 

Behavior:

On P50, the bug occurs. Namely, when long-pressing the ANC button, playback and ANC are paused, but ANC re-engages after about two seconds. Depending on the browser, playback may be resumed after the two seconds as well. 

On Y720, long-pressing the ANC button works as intended: both ANC and playback are paused and resumed only on explicit keypress by the user. 

Differences in volume control operation:  

I've noticed that the two laptops behave slightly differently, and I am hoping that this may help isolate the problem. 

On P50, upon pausing, the following control emerges: 

chrome-bose700bug.png

Note how on the left the volume level is given, exactly as it was at playback time. 

On Y720, the control looks differently: 

chrome-bose700bug-legion.png

Note how the volume is now muted. Upon long-pressing the ANC button I can actually see the animation of volume going down in that bar on the left. 

Controlling system volume from the touchpad

The described difference in behavior led to another discovery: on P50 (bugged behavior) I could not control system volume from the touchpad of Bose 700's! The volume change was occurring in reality, but the the volume level as indicated in the tray remained the same. To be more clear, by system volume indicator I mean this one: 

system_volume.png

In other words, the slider above did not move when I was changing the volume on Bose 700's touchpad, even though the actual volume was changing. 

On Y720, the behavior in this regard was as expected: changing volume using Bose 700's touchpad was directly linked to system volume, and the slider was moving in sync with my finger on the touchpad. 

General comment

I am really enjoying the hardware, and I (for now) have faith that Bose will resolve the software issues in time. However, given the very high price for this supposedly luxurious product, these software issue should not be occurring in the first place. Having spent €400, I should not be writing this post to help Bose fix its bugs. There are app issues, Bluetooth re-connection issues, and now this. I hope Bose can at least react to this post to show their engagement with the situation. 

Maxim K
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 22, 2019

Bump. 

Dinesh_700
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

I also experiance this "Conversation Mode bug"

I face this issue when using Youtube with my iPhone XS Max.

It turns off the NC and pauses the video for about 2 seconds and then turns on NC and video remains paused.

Also additionally while using Youtube on iPhone sometimes i hear a craking noise for sometime then it goes- has anyone experainced this behavior also? is there a diffrernt thread for this?

Expecting a reply from our Bose Team also 🙂

Maxim K
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 22, 2019

Expecting a reply from our Bose Team also 

Looks like Bose doesn't really care to comment. 

Hi everyone, thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you've been having here, and have been hard at work replicating these for you. Apologies for the delay this has caused!

While I have been able to partially replicate these, I would appreciate some more information regarding your individual setup(s) 😊.

As such, can I ask for the following information please?

@Dian Wessels if you're using the Safari Browser within your iMac, are you able to replicate these issues?

@Maxim K If you're using internet browsers for audio on your iPhone, are you experiencing the same issue there? Furthermore, is there any difference if you press the button compared to holding this? Are you connected to both the iPhone and either computer at the same time, or are you only using one?

@Dinesh_700 When you experience this with Youtube, do you have any other music apps open in the background? If so, if you close these and test this again, do you experience the same problem? Lastly, if you download/record a video with your phone, and use conversation mode then, do you experience this issue?

I look forward to hearing back from all of you when you can!

Liam W - Community Support

Maxim K
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 22, 2019

Hi Liam,

Thanks for your response! Let me unpack your questions: 

1. If you're using internet browsers for audio on your iPhone, are you experiencing the same issue there?

No issue using Chrome on the iPhone, still normal operation. 

2. Furthermore, is there any difference if you press the button compared to holding this?

By "this" I presume you mean the ANC button? When I press the ANC button, it changes its level. That operation always works correctly on all devices. Long press (press & hold) invokes the conversation mode which operates abnormally, as described before. 

3. Are you connected to both the iPhone and either computer at the same time, or are you only using one?

Two devices. It doesn't matter though. I tried disconnecting the iPhone while remaining connected to the laptop. Still the same issue. 

I dug a little deeper in my earlier theory about volume control. It turns out that the link between system volume and bluetooth device volume is called AbsoluteVolume, and it arrived in Windows 10 update 1803. The laptop on which the issue occurs, does not have it, whereas the other laptop does. However, disabling AbsoluteVolume on that second laptop did not affect the issue with the Conversation mode. At this time my best bet would be to explore difference in bluetooth drivers or hardware. 

P.S. I've updated Bluetooth drivers on both laptops to their latest version from the manufacturer's website. No impact, unfortunately. 

Hi Maxim, thanks for the quick reply to my questions!

You're correct with the ANC button here, I wanted to check that this was changing the levels appropriately here 😊.

Furthermore, thank you for your investigation here into AbsoluteVolume. This may explain why the issues are not universal across all devices, and would be a great thing for us to look into further!

I saw that you were going to update the drivers, and thank you for updating this. I'm sorry to hear that this did not have an impact here. However, this will help us to narrow down the cause more specifically.

I will pass my findings and your answers/suggestion here onto our development team to see if we can fully replicate and find a resolution to this issue. Please keep me in the loop if you uncover any more information, and I hope to hear back from the others/from any member of the Community when possible!

Liam W 

Maxim K
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 22, 2019

Hi @Liam_W 

Great to hear there is an action plan about this. I do have an additional bit of information for you. On the laptop where the issue occurs, I tried engaging the Conversation mode not in a browser, as previously, but during playback in the default old plain Windows Media Player, playing a local mp3 file. The Conversation mode with that program worked as intended! I tried the same using Groove Music (another offline player), the result was also positive. From that it would seem that the issue is related to browser-based streaming (perhaps in combination with some system properties), and not to the Bluetooth stack or device.