Capekim
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

Bose NC 700 - Never reaches a solid white LED

Brand new Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700.  I let these charge overnight via a USB port on my PC.  The LED light never reached a solid white however to indicate 100% charge.  I connected today to a USB port on my MacBook and still just blinks white after several hours even though it showed almost fully charged (19+ hours) before this second charging.  Is there an issue with the battery in these headphones?  The instructions mention solid white means fully charged.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TOMike
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

Re: Bose NC 700 - Never reaches a solid white LED

Author Accepted Answer selected by Capekim

Hi Charlotte,

I did some troubleshooting and it turns out that if I plug in the headphones to the wall charger, then the white light becomes solid.  If I plug it in to the MacBook, then it will continue to blink indefinitely.

Mike

19 REPLIES 19

Hello Capekim, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

A solid LED light will certainly indicate a full charge. When your headphones are disconnected and have 19+ hours, is the LED solid white?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Capekim
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

The Owners Guide PDF says:

"While charging, the battery light blinks white. When the battery is fully charged, the battery light glows solid white (see page 38)."

So I am expecting the battery light to go from blinking to solid when the charge reaches full - so I know when I can unplug it.  But the light never goes solid (until I unplug it).

TOMike
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

I got my Bose 700 yesterday and I am experiencing the same thing.  I charged it overnight and the white light was still blinking.  When I turned on the headphones, it says it had over 20 hrs of battery power left.

Hello Capekim, 

I completely understand why you would expect this behavior. I have tested the charging process here and I can confirm that the Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 should turn solid white, whilst still plugged in, when they reach full charge. Even when the headphones were reading 20 hours of charge they were flashing, but after leaving them if for slightly longer, the LED did turn to solid white. 

Should you be unable to replicate this, I would recommend performing a reset on your headphones by following these steps:

1. Disconnect all cables from the headphones
  2. Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on
  3. Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth® button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup
  4. Release the Power/Bluetooth button after 2 seconds

Additionally, ensure that your headphones are running the latest firmware version. To do this, visit btu.bose.com on your computer and follow the instructions.

Once you have done this, let me know if the LED behavior has changed for you. 

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

TOMike
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by Capekim

Hi Charlotte,

I did some troubleshooting and it turns out that if I plug in the headphones to the wall charger, then the white light becomes solid.  If I plug it in to the MacBook, then it will continue to blink indefinitely.

Mike

pawelm
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 16, 2017

I experience the exact same issue: when the headphones are plugged into a low voltage charging port e.g., MacBook USB C, the white led never goes solid, even when the headphones are fully charged. The led turns solid white when 100% charge is reached on high voltage chargers only.

Hello all, 

Thanks for getting in touch. 

If you haven't, please try charging using a smartphone charger. Laptop USB ports carry an incredibly low voltage, so it can take much longer to achieve a full charge. 

Please let me know how you get on after attempting a charge using an actual USB charger. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

danjur
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

I have the same issue when charging with a 65w laptop charger.

Capekim
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

Thanks for the replies.  Indeed the Bose will only glow white when charged with a proper charger.  I used my iPhone charger base and the headphones did glow solid white to indicate a full charge.  This is disappointing given the premium Bose pricing.  No charger is included in the box.  The instructions clearly indicate charging by USB will result in a solid white status when charged.  I expect a lot of attention to detail with Bose and am not getting it.