Highlighted
bakanotrack
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

Bose NC 700 -- Noise cancellation isn't working as it initially did?

I was amazed when I initially got these since they are the first of their kind for me. The top 3 things I can remember that they blocked without a doubt are:

• I couldn't hear family members come into my room absolutely at all, they would scare the crap out of me every time.
  • I couldn't hear the AC whenever it'd turn back on
  • I couldn't hear the airplanes fly over me anymore

Now I bought these for gaming and was insanely disappointed that you can't use your microphone at the same time, but the sound, comfort and noise cancellation were so amazing to me that I didn't return them and genuinely want to keep them. The noise cancellation is subpar right now though and I can't find anything about it. Everyone is complaining about the QC 35 ii noise cancellation and that sounds like the exact same issue I have but I know they have different firmware. The only thing I did myself is I unpaired my mobile device since I initially downloaded the app since that's what the manual said and updated them. But it kept connecting to my phone and PC so I unpaired my phone since I didn't see the point. Now I doubt that caused the issue, but that's literally the only thing I did besides use the headphones regularly. So please tell me what I need to do to get the noise cancellation working the way they used to. I've set it to 10 from the app. I've set it to 10 from the button, doesn't make a difference, it's weak now. I can hear my family members open my door, I can hear the airplanes and AC again. My firmware version is 1.1.4.1144.be3bf4b and it says my product is up-to-date.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bose NC 700 -- Noise cancellation isn't working as it initially did?

Author Accepted Answer selected by bakanotrack

Hi there @bakanotrack and thanks for taking the time to reach back out!

I own a pair of the Noise-Cancelling 700 headphones personally, and frequently use these. Over time I have learned what is and isn't cancelled by the noise-cancelling alone without any music, and would be happy to clarify here!

Firstly, with regards to your direct question, I have always been able to hold a direct conversation with someone while wearing these headphones, even when at noise-cancelling level 10.

In response to your original statement, I find that the Noise-cancelling does an impressive job of cancelling out outside sounds, and sounds from AC as you have mentioned. With the sound on (and I play these very quietly), I find that these sounds are unheard altogether. 

The reason that this will block out a lot of consistent lower frequency sounds, but not talking, is due to the way that noise-cancelling works. The sound waves produced by the headphones will cancel out a lot of the sounds produced at the same frequency that these operate at, while voice audio varies in frequency meaning it is easier to hear. 

I would also invite anyone else to chip in here to confirm how they find the experience of noise-cancelling with these headphones!

If you feel like your headphones are not performing at the level that they should be, I would advise that you reach out to Bose Support directly, by selecting your country/region then navigating to "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps!

Liam W

10 REPLIES 10

Hello bakanotrack,

Thank you for getting in touch with the community. I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. 

I would firstly suggest performing a reset of your headphones. Instruction on how to do this can be found below. 

• Disconnect all cables from the headphones
  • Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on
  • Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth® button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup
  • Release the Power/Bluetooth button after 2 seconds

Please let us know if this shows any improvements to your headphones. 

Tegan M - Community Support 

bakanotrack
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

Hello again!

Thanks for taking the time to help. Unfortunately nothing changed after following the instructions. I'm excited to getting closer to fix them though so please let me know what else to try.

Hi bakanotrack,

Thank you for your update regarding this. I apologise that this did not show any sign of improvements. 

Have you tried testing the noise cancellation when using your headphones with a cabled connection?

I would continue to test your headphones with another device also. Please toggle through the different noise cancellation levels to see if you see any difference in the performance. 

Please let us know how you get on. 

Tegan M 

bakanotrack
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

So toggling through the different noise cancellation levels definitely makes a difference. Cable connection or using my phone didn't change anything though. My phone was a lot louder and actually made me question myself a little. Of course when it's extremely loud I can't hear anything around me, which makes me wonder if I just dreamt the absolute noise cancellation. For some reason I remember vividly that I'd have to take my headsets off to talk to my brother otherwise I couldn't hear him. I also don't remember hearing my keyboard at all. I've read some of your previous posts and I know you guys test stuff in the office so I guess the real question is. at level 10, with just the headphones off, can you hear if someone is talking to you without anything playing, just having the headphones on? Thanks for all your help.

Author Accepted Answer selected by bakanotrack

Hi there @bakanotrack and thanks for taking the time to reach back out!

I own a pair of the Noise-Cancelling 700 headphones personally, and frequently use these. Over time I have learned what is and isn't cancelled by the noise-cancelling alone without any music, and would be happy to clarify here!

Firstly, with regards to your direct question, I have always been able to hold a direct conversation with someone while wearing these headphones, even when at noise-cancelling level 10.

In response to your original statement, I find that the Noise-cancelling does an impressive job of cancelling out outside sounds, and sounds from AC as you have mentioned. With the sound on (and I play these very quietly), I find that these sounds are unheard altogether. 

The reason that this will block out a lot of consistent lower frequency sounds, but not talking, is due to the way that noise-cancelling works. The sound waves produced by the headphones will cancel out a lot of the sounds produced at the same frequency that these operate at, while voice audio varies in frequency meaning it is easier to hear. 

I would also invite anyone else to chip in here to confirm how they find the experience of noise-cancelling with these headphones!

If you feel like your headphones are not performing at the level that they should be, I would advise that you reach out to Bose Support directly, by selecting your country/region then navigating to "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps!

Liam W

bakanotrack
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

Thank you very much, I couldn't have asked for a more perfect answer. Truly, thank you for clarifying, I really appreciate your answer. I'll definitely be keeping them. I wish everyone all the best!

danbob89
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2019

Chiming in as requested to say I had an experience quite similar to bakanotrack when I started using these headphones. I bought them prior to a long flight earlier this week, charged them up, and was amazed at the performance. On 10 I could not hear a thing, no voices, no crinkly wrappers, not anything. While I was away the app applied an update to the headphones. On the return flight yesterday, I immediately noticed a change in the efficacy of the noise reduction. I could hear voices, crinkles, and a variety of other sounds that were not heard before. All other functions were normal, and the selectable ANR level operated normally. It just seems that the high-frequency ANR performance went from amazing to 'meh', while the low frequency performance remained quite good. I know Bose says repeatedly that they made no changes to the ANR functions, but I didn't start searching for threads like this on a whim - I noticed something right away. It seems to me that the change was intentional, perhaps 'safety-related', and that Bose does not want this knowledge out there as users would prevent allowing the update to maintain the superior ANR performance. If this is NOT true, why not make the earlier/factory firmware available to users in the advanced menu of the Bose Updater??? It's tempting right now to return the product as defective, buy another copy, and uninstall the app from my devices to prevent the update.

MichaelKelly
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 28, 2019

Hey, I purchased a set of Bose 700s today. I also am feeling very underwhelmed with the noise cancelling. If I compare to my friends Sony’s it almost feels like I am in a vacuum when I put the Sony’s on. I am bringing them to work tomorrow to compare them with another friends QC35s and to get a second opinion. Maybe I am expecting too much. For the big price tag I was expecting more. I’m thinking there must be a bug in the software and I would love to know if anyone else is experiencing this issue.

Hello Michael Kelly, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling a little underwhelmed with the headphones. This is not the feedback we normally receive so I would love to try some steps with you to see if we can get the headphones performing at their best. Let's start by trying some troubleshooting steps as mentioned below. Updating the firmware of the headphones is something we like to urge customers to do when they first get the headphones to ensure that they have all of the latest features and enhancements. After that, I like to refresh all of the connections to give the headphones a kick start in case any issues occurred during the download of the software. 

1. Go to http://btu.bose.com on a computer and update your headphones software.

2. Perform a product reset, to do this:

- Disconnect all cables from the headphones.

- Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on.

- Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth® button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup.

- Release the Power/Bluetooth button after 2 seconds.

3. Clear the Bluetooth device list on the headset by pressing and holding the Bluetooth button until you hear 'Device list cleared'.

I look forward to hearing your findings after testing them at work. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W