RLT4
Participant
Registered since

Apr 17, 2020

Bose NC 700 Random Sound Quality Issue

Purchased the Bose Noise Canceling 700 headphones in April 2020, and I regularly connect them to two devices: (1) a MacBook Pro (late 2013), and an iPhone XR. A few weeks ago I started having an issue where, for several days, the sound seems as if I'm listening to a recording from the 1930s: steady hiss and frequent popping sounds (this was on modern multitrack recordings). On one track I got the impression that an entire channel might be missing, because I wasn't hearing vocals at all where I should have been.

I plugged in a different set of wired, non-Bose headphones and used those for a couple weeks. When I tried the Bose again, yesterday, the problem was gone. But today, the problem has returned.

I did not plug in the headphones overnight. Today I reset them according to the instructions, and the problem persists. I'm only having this issue when I stream music over Bluetooth from my MacBook Pro; streaming from my iPhone XR sounds perfect. After disconnecting my iPhone from the Bose headphones entirely, so that only one device is connected, the stream from my MacBook Pro still sounds terrible.

I'm not sure whether this is connected to the numerous reports of stuttering after certain firmware upgrades. I would not describe this issue as stuttering, rather the hiss and popping that I described above.

Possibly irrelevant note: when I first discovered the problem had returned this morning, I then found I was unable to turn off the headphones at all. The reset fixed that problem at least, and it hasn't recurred so far.

Any help is appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
Jessie_O

Re: Bose NC 700 Random Sound Quality Issue

Hey RLT4, 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community! 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with your NC700 and will be more than happy to help! 

I would recommend that you clear the pairing list on both the headphones and the source devices. I have included the LINK HERE to help with deleting the pairing on your headphones! 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!