Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 31, 2020

Bose NC 700 Static In One Ear When Powered On

I've had these headphones since late January and they've been...alright.

First issue that came up was interference when connected to multiple devices, which never went away.

Now, out of the blue yesterday, I started getting a loud static noise in the right earcup whenever the headphones are powered on. The static gets louder when I lower the Noise cancelling and never goes away, even when nothing is playing. If they're on, there's static. The only time there is no static is if I use the aux cable AND they are powered off. But when I do that the sound quality is terrible.

I always take excellent care of my headphones, I have not let them die once, I always put them in the case neatly when I transport them between work and home, I keep them clean, and I have not dropped them once. Yet, I still have constant problems.

These were a gift so I feel so bad that they've never worked perfectly.

28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted

Re: Bose NC 700 Static In One Ear When Powered On

Hi PureWhiteMk7, 

Sorry that you are experiencing some static whilst using the Bluetooth feature of your headphones. I can understand your disappointment and I'd love to offer you some troubleshooting regarding this. 

I would firstly suggest you perform a reset of your headphones;

• Disconnect all cables from your headphones
  • Connect the larger end of the USB charging cable to a wall charger or a computer that is powered on
  • On the headphones, press and hold the Power/Bluetooth® button while connecting the smaller end of the USB cable to the right earcup. The Power LED should quickly blink twice
  • Once connected, release the Power/Bluetooth button after two seconds.

If this persists, can you connect your headphones to different Bluetooth devices to see if this continues?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 31, 2020

Thank you so much for the quick response, I have done the reset several times and the problem still persists.

Additionally, the problem persists whether I am connected to my iPhone, my Windows laptop, or not connected to anything at all.

Highlighted

I appreciate you trying, @PureWhiteMk7. Sorry to hear things haven't improved - especially since you've taken excellent care of them.

I see they were a gift but do you have any idea of where they were purchased from?

If you haven't already, it would definitely be worth checking the firmware of your headphones is up to date by visiting the Bose updater HERE. Let me know if you notice any improvement!

New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 31, 2020

I updated them earlier today, and I do not know where they were purchased unfortunately. However, I can ask tomorrow.

Thank you for your help

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 14, 2020

I bought my headphones of this model in October 2019. About 2 weeks ago for me as well I also was getting the static noise whenever I turned them on in the left ear cup. It goes away when I turn off the noise cancellation completely but returns if I turn the noise cancellation back on. I have also done the reset multiple times. I purchased mine in-store from Target.

Highlighted

Hi phlon08, 

I am sorry to hear that you to are experiencing some static from the left earcup. 

Thank you for looking through this thread and attempting the available troubleshooting. If this only occurs whilst having the noise cancellation is active, I am led to believe that you may be experiencing some sort of interference resulting in feedback. 

Have you ensured that the ear cushions are securely fastened? If the ear cushion is not affixed to the ear cup properly, the sound quality can be affected. 

I look forward to hearing from you. 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 14, 2020

Yes, they are both attached securely as far as I can tell so that is not the issue.

Highlighted

Thanks for coming back to us @phlon08!

At this point, I would recommend reaching out to your local technical support team for assistance. You can do this by clicking the LINK HERE, selecting your country and scrolling down to 'Contact Us'. One of our agents will be more than happy to help!

Let me know if there is anything else we can do for you!

New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 22, 2020

Hey!

I'm also having the same issues!

I got these as a gift a couple of days ago and they were working perfectly.

However, after a Bose software update on my phone's app and headphones, I started getting static noise on my left ear cup when noise cancellation is on. The static noise gradually increases as noise cancellation is lowered to 0. When it is 10, the static is very mild but still noticeable.....

I tried resetting the headset, reconnecting and disconnecting on devices, forgetting the bluetooth connection and reconnecting, etc.... and nothing has solved the problem.

It could be a firmware issue? 

Not sure, but it is quite annoying as these are supposed to be premium headphones. 

Please advise if there are any firm solutions!!