Participant
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

Bose NC 700 call quality (telephone calls only)

Hello,

I recently bought a pair of NC 700 headphones after using QC 35 II for quite some time.

One of the main reasons for me to upgrade has been the claimed superior call quality.

I use them for business calls so speech quality is key.

Unfortunately, this was not the case, 

Without using a "trick" (more to follow), my voice is barely intelligible from the other side of the call, resulting in an overall terrible conversation experience!

I made several tests in order to figure out why this behavior (it’s worth noticing that I can perfectly hear the caller’s voice as well as my own voice) and it looks like that NC has a big role in this!

Having a call with NC 10 results in the worse experience (they simply cannot understand what I’m saying), while setting it to 0 results in an overall good one. The same occurs using the "conversation" mode (that simply set NC to 0 as far as I know).

Now the question is: is that by design?

If the answer is yes, well, the whole sense of having an active NC headphone for calls is misleading: one of the main reasons for using an active NC headphone is to be able to have a telephone conversation even in a very noisy environment. But the caller must understand what you’re saying1

If the answer is no, please provide me an explanation.

Of course my headphone is updated at the latest firmware and I’m using iOS devices.
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bose NC 700 call quality (telephone calls only)

Author Accepted Answer selected by deepblue175

Hello deepblue175,

Thanks for posting!

I'm sorry to hear of these issues with the call quality on your NC Headphones 700. 

This is certainly not the intended behavior of the headphones so I'd to gather some further information to assist you with this.

Would it be possible for you to connect to another device to test the same theory? I appreciate and I am grateful for the testing you have already performed.

Are you making cellular calls or VoIP services such as Skype, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Author Accepted Answer selected by deepblue175

Hello deepblue175,

Thanks for posting!

I'm sorry to hear of these issues with the call quality on your NC Headphones 700. 

This is certainly not the intended behavior of the headphones so I'd to gather some further information to assist you with this.

Would it be possible for you to connect to another device to test the same theory? I appreciate and I am grateful for the testing you have already performed.

Are you making cellular calls or VoIP services such as Skype, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.

View solution in original post

Participant
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

Hello Charlotte, thank you for your fast answer.

I mainly use iOS devices, so it’s hard for me to test another phone with NC 700.

I can tell you that I never had such kind of issues with QC35 II, no matter if the NC was engaged or not.

I don’t use any conference call sw, so the described behavior is limited to simple phone calls.

Thanks

Hello deepblue175,

No worries at all! I've actually just tested this here and can confirm that I was not able to replicate the issue. This was using an iPhone XS on iOS 13.1.3 and with NC Headphones 700 on firmware 1.2.11 performing a cellular phone call. Therefore, I do believe that there is most likely a fault with your headphones! Regrettably, we're not able to facilitate exchanges through the Bose Community platform but please do reach out to your local customer service team and they'll be more than happy to assist you with this. Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'

Please do let me know if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

Participant
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

My 700 headphones are great, but in recent weeks I have been in the middle of conversations and suddenly people say they can’t understand me - that my voice is distorted and I sound like an old man. This happens even when I am right next to my phone. In the past few days they have also started cutting out completely during calls so that I have to switch to my iPhone speaker mid call. 

I have updated the firmware a couple of days ago and it hasn’t helped. 

any ideas?

Participant
Registered since

Apr 23, 2020

Well.... I really don't know what to say beside I want my money back. It's bad enough you are charging quite a bit more for a lesser product, quite another for you to act as though you dont understand why its happening and this is the first time you've heard these things. You user us in this chat in Hope's of keeping it quiet. My whole life I've wanted a bose product. Shame how disappointed I am today. It sucks  when those you look up to someone or something so much just to be let down in the biggest way!

Participant
Registered since

Nov 29, 2020

I have what I think is the same problem.

When I use my Bose 700 (for phone calls only) the person at the other end heard my voice very muffled making it hard for them to understand what I am saying. I get this problem consistently when making a call using both an android phone or a Windows 10 machine. I haven't tried any other devices.

If instead of making a call on my windows 10 machine, if I just simply bring up a local record program and record on my Windows machine using my Bose microphone, the sound quality is perfect. The problem only occurs when making calls and it is just the person at the other end listening to me with my Bose 700 and they hear the muffled sound.

The Bose 700 works perfectly for listening to music or as I mentioned, recording the microphone using a local Windows record program. When doing a call the other end gets a muffled sound even when going to voice mail.

I received the Bose 700 as a gift and have no warranty.