Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 13, 2019

Bose NC 700 cannot be used at all while charging

When I had the QC 35 ii, I could use them in wired mode while charging without any Noise Cancelling. It was extremely convenient when my headphones would lose its charge in the middle of playback. The NC 700 seem to completely disable its audio playback. The Wired mode simply fails to work. 

Also, why is there so much white noise? Even more than the QC 35 iis? I put noise cancelling at level 1 and it's still there and at the same volume.

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted

Re: Bose NC 700 cannot be used at all while charging

Hello Alexei Drekker, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

With the Noise Canceling 700 headphones, the headphones do not play audio or cancel noise while charging.

In regards to the white noise, many noise-cancelling headphones such as the NC 700's have a higher noise floor compared to other products so, in extremely quiet environments, it is possible to hear the noise from the active electronics, and this can be perceived as a hissing sound. This should not affect general use, and you should only be able to hear it in such environments and only when you have no music playing. If this is what you are referring to, then I would continue using the headphones as normal. 

If, however, you are hearing white noise constantly, even when listening to music, and you find it is overpowering your listening experience, please let me know and we can look to completing some troubleshooting steps. 

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 13, 2019

But why disable wired playback without noise cancelling when it is connected? Every other noise cancelling headphone on the market, and even the Bose QC 35ii, can at least function as wired headphones without noise cancelling while charging. I assumed these would be an upgrade over the QC 35s while still keeping all the features. I do not understand why features would be removed outright, especially since it takes so long to charge this device. Forget the white noise. That's a minor issue.

I knew it was a mistake trusting Bose again. I am glad I bought these yesterday. I will be able to return them. 

Also, please update the website. It says the Bose has USB-C connection. It does not. It cannot connect through USB-C. It only charges thought USB-C. It is false advertising. 

And if possible, please update the firmware to support wired connections while charging. I understand why noise cancelling and wireless features may be disabled. Disabling the wired connections has no valid reason.

PS: I realize the person responding probably does not have any say in these design desisions. My frustration is not towards you, but the people who designed these headphones. I only hope that someone in the engineering department actually takes note of this feedback, and not ignore them, which I am sure is what will happen anyway, so I don't know why I even bother. Thank you.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi Alexei, thanks for getting back in touch!

Thank you also for the feedback you have provided here. 

I have passed the comment regarding the wording of the USB-C cable on to our website team to see if this wording can be amended to make this clearer as to the function of the cable.

I have also passed the request regarding being able to use the AUX cable for audio while the headphones are charging on to our development team to see if this can be integrated in the future. If a reason is provided as to why this cannot be integrated, I will feed this back to you 😊.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or feedback for this or other products!

Liam W

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

@Alexei Drekker wrote:

Also, please update the website. It says the Bose has USB-C connection. It does not. It cannot connect through USB-C. It only charges thought USB-C. It is false advertising. 

I hooked mine up to my laptop and used the Bose Update Utility to check for a firmware update.  It detected my headphones, and showed me the firmware version.  I suspect that when Bose pushes out a firmware update, I'll be able to do it via my laptop, and not the Bose Music App.  

If it doesn't have USB-C connection, then how did the laptop detect the headphones?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 13, 2019

A mobile phone, and I would agree. But these are headphones. When we talk about connecting headphones, we talk about connecting it to an audio source. Connecting these headphones to our laptops will not initiate audio passthrough. When people are looking at an headphone description, and they see USB-C connection, they will assume that it is for audio if they did not already know that it cannot be used as Type-C headphones.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

@Alexei Drekker wrote:

A mobile phone, and I would agree. But these are headphones. When we talk about connecting headphones, we talk about connecting it to an audio source. Connecting these headphones to our laptops will not initiate audio passthrough. When people are looking at an headphone description, and they see USB-C connection, they will assume that it is for audio if they did not already know that it cannot be used as Type-C headphones.

Gotcha.  That makes sense.  Honestly, this is my first USB-C device, so I didn't even think of it in terms of passing through audio.  This would definitely be a great feature.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 11, 2019

Yeah, I agree that these things not working whilst charging is a bit of an oversight, but I think it must be possible for the same reason that audio passthrough on USB-C should be possible, as below.

The reason for this is that I tried a pair of these headphones on at a Bose display booth in an electronics shop in the UK. There was a security cable connecting the headphones to the display and it plugged into the USB-C port. I asked the guy in the shop (not a Bose employee) if the headphones were playing music via a connected Bluetooth device (i.e. were the headphones connected to something in the booth via Bluetooth) and he said no, they got the sound and power over the USB-C cable. If he's correct then it must be possible!

Bose - care to comment?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 13, 2019

I wondered the same thing! Connecting the QC 35iis to a Windows PC indicated compatibility for audio passthrough when looking at the device manager. The headphones, at least in terms of hardware, seem perfectly capable which leads me to believe that this was disabled in the software. I am assuming it is the same scenario with the NC 700. I wish I could test this out, but I returned the NC 700. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 28, 2019

Hey, I would also like to know why the headphones cannot be used while charging. 

As a user of other audio devices including several of Bose's other ones, it seems completely counter intuitive to me that this doesn't work.

1. Why doesn't it work?

2. Is there a firmware fix for that problem on the road-map for this product or is it a hardware issue?

3. If it is firmware fixable, when can we expect that firmware fix?