philipzablocki
Participant
Registered since

Mar 30, 2020

Bose NC 700 interupts calls on hands free mode when a notification is played

• Start a call in MS Teams, headset starts the microphone and goes to "Hands Free" mode

• Receive an MS Outlook notification that my next meeting is starting in 5 minutes, the notification triggers a change from "Hands Free" to "Stereo" mode to play the notification

• During the 5 second transition, no one on the call can hear me, and I cannot hear them

• After the notification sound finishes, it takes a few seconds for me to be returned to the call

9 REPLIES 9
Charlotte_G

Re: Bose NC 700 interupts calls on hands free mode when a notification is played

Hey philipzablocki,

Welcome to the Bose Community. I appreciate your detailed account of the problem you are experiencing with your NC 700's.

Could you please confirm which device you have them connected to?

Also, have you tested this on multiple devices of just the 1?

Do you have multiple devices connected to the headphones at this time?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
philipzablocki
Participant
Registered since

Mar 30, 2020

Re: Bose NC 700 interupts calls on hands free mode when a notification is played

I only have them connected to one device, a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10.

On other devices this isn't a problem, such as my smartphone or personal laptop. The problem is only when I am taking a phone call on my work laptop and other applications try to send notifications.

Charlotte_G

Thanks for letting me know this information. Have you had the chance to test any other voice calling applications to see if this issue is consistent when the Hands Free profile is active.

Let me know if possible. 🙂

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
schulzalbrecht
Participant
Registered since

Apr 25, 2020

I'm sooo glad that someone posted this issue because I couldn't believe this a headphone so expense as this one was having such problem!! I have the headphone connected as well only to my computer and now ALWAYS when I start a call, I need to get my cable to connect to my bose headphone 700 and to my laptop, so then when I get notifications, the MS teams call won't be muted for a few minutes. And yes, I have to do it for a pair of headphones that expensive!!!!  At least now everyone in the office knows how to headphone works and they won't commit the same mistake as I did. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future, because it should have already been solved long ago before even going into production

DimitriD
Participant
Registered since

Jan 7, 2020

Same problem: on Webex on my laptop (MBP, "Big Sur" OS); when a call comes on my iPhone, my audio connection gets interrupted.  There should be some automatic way to set "do not disturb" when one is on a call or avoid the extreme interruption, like maybe a slight sound in the headset warning that another call comes in, without cutting the communication that's underway.  Basically the same as when you're on a call on your phone and another call comes in (on the same phone).

Roundt
Participant
Registered since

Feb 8, 2021

Hi, I've been using the Bose 700 for a few weeks now and it works quite well!

I do have a question concerning the settings for using multiple devices:

The headset is connected to my Windows laptop for Teams calls and music, and my Android phone for regular calls. When I am in a Teams call and a call comes in on my phone, the sound immediately stops on my laptop and picks up the incoming signal on my phone. When I choose to ignore/mute the call on my regular phone, the sound goes back to my laptop. But by this I miss a few seconds of my Teams call.

Is there a way the headset can give just a short notification of another incoming call, so I can keep the main output through my laptop? I searched this forum and the music app, but can't find such a setting.

Thank you!

gobenaus
Participant
Registered since

Feb 28, 2021

Bose product name: 700 NC

Firmware Version: 1.8.2

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.) iPhone 6s Plus on iOS14

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

The Bose is connected to two devices: my iPhone and a Windows laptop. I was on a phone call on the iPhone when the audio stopped. When I took off the headphones and switched the phone to speaker, I realized that the other person was still talking. This happened several times in a row. It works fine at the beginning of the call, then it stops. Switching the audio output back and forth on the phone does re-activate it sometimes, and sometimes it does not. Could it be that the input from the Windows machine -- notifications in teams, etc. -- could interfere with it and switch the audio to teams. There wasn't anything I could hear that came in from Teams on the laptop at that time.

But I almost hung up on the other caller because I thought they had an issue when I realized that the headset was no longer capturing the audio from the call -- for whatever reason.

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took

gobenaus
Participant
Registered since

Feb 28, 2021

I played around with this some more and it seems that just somebody typing in a chat conversation you have in teams disconnects the audio from the phone, even though sound notifications are turned off in teams. So there was nothing audible in teams at all. Just somebody on the other send of a chat channel typing a message. Ditto if you browser the web on the windows box. Even though nothing is playing back, no sounds are audible, it will disconnect the sound from the iPhone temporarily and, in most cases, revert back to the iPhone after a while.

This is really annoying. I understand it can only play back audio from one source at a time, but if there is no audio to be heard on the PC, why does it switch to it as the input source for audio?

gobenaus
Participant
Registered since

Feb 28, 2021

So any comment from the official Bose side? Looks like several people are experiencing this issue in some form or other. I am considering returning my headset to AWS. For this kind of money, it needs to work better. I can't have it interrupting phone calls on the iPhone just because I'm browing the web, with no sound, on the laptop that is also connected. Will also post a review on Amazon pointing this problem out.