Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Bose NC 700 notifying wrong battery status

When I turn them on the first time after charge, the voice tells me the battery status from the time before I started charging the headset.

It's not a big thing, but it's a bug.

The first time I experienced it, I was stress about because I was going on a longer journey, and needed the headset fully charged. 

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: Bose NC 700 notifying wrong battery status

Hello Ommis, 

Thank you for notifying us of this bug that you are experiencing. Could you please try a few steps to prevent this from happening for me? 

1. Go to http://btu.bose.com on a computer and update your headphones software.

2. Perform a product reset, to do this:

- Disconnect all cables from the headphones.

- Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on.

- Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth® button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup.

- Release the Power/Bluetooth button after 2 seconds.

3. Clear the Bluetooth device list on the headset by pressing and holding the Bluetooth button until you hear 'Device list cleared'. 

I look forward to hearing how you get on. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 1, 2019

This is a bug that has happened since the beginning, and none of that fixes it.

I'm disappointed in Bose. This is my first pair of Bose headphones after having Sony headphones for a few years now. In theory Bose has a better user experience, but in practice it's filled with bugs.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 9, 2020

I am having exactly the same issue and it is very annoying....

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2020

Just found this posting.. Just got a pair for XMAS and mine stated 9 hours of battery after being charged only 4 times. Noise cancelling turned off. Gonna try this fix after work.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 11, 2020

I also tried all those steps, and they didn't work. I already HAD the most current version of the software, and doing a device reset and clearing the device list just had no impact.

This is really sad. Bose produces nice headphones that are plagued by hardware and software glitches that shouldn't exist, given their price. I had two pairs of QC35 over ear headsets that both became useless because the on/off switch no longer turned them off. Well...it would, for about two seconds, but the headphones would immediately turn back on, even with the switch in the off position. Two pairs that I couldn't turn off. Now, I have your most expensive, most advanced noise-cancelling headset, and it won't report the correct battery status the first time I turn them on after being recharged; I have to then them off and back on a second time before it reports the correct battery status. Makes me wonder 'what's next'? Clearly this is a bug that should be addressed by Bose. 

I have had Bose headphones for many years, but the last 3 noise cancelling headphones have been a bust because of these hardware/software glitches. I hope to hear that Bose will be issuing an update for this issue in the very near future; this should not be a hard issue to fix, but because I - and many others, apparently - have experienced this issue since day 1, it does not inspire much confidence that the manufacturer even cares to address the issue.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 9, 2020

Completely agree... You have described the actual problem almost everyone is having here in the best possible way.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 11, 2020

Thank you. I'm pleased you found my post to be helpful. I figured out some time ago that I had to turn the device on twice after recharging it to get the correct battery status. Irksome, given how much these cost, but not overmuch. What got me mad enough to log in to this forum to find others experiencing the same issue (and voice my opinion) was two days ago, when I'd used them to the point where the LED was flashing red and the internal voice was warning me the battery was low, and to recharge immediately. The first time I turned them on again after being recharged for an entire day, the LED was STILL flashing red and the voice was warning the battery was low, recharge immediately. Turn it off, and back on, and the thing is reporting 'fully charged'. When the device reports two status' at the extreme ends of the spectrum with 10 seconds of one another, there's something really wrong.

If this expensive device can't accurately detect the battery charge, one has to wonder what ELSE it's getting wrong, or if the condition will eventually degenerate to the point it can't get the battery status right even after turning off and back on a second time. It's nearly a literal a roll of the dice to get the device to connect to the Bose Music app on my smartphone in order to configure it or to look at the battery status too. 

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 20, 2020

I have the exact same issue. Need to turn them on/off twice to get the right battery level.