K2Climber
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 5, 2019

Re: Bose NC Headphones 700 - Unable to connect to Bose Music app

I was going nuts trying to resolve this issue. Called Bose the day the 700’s landed in my hands, and they said they hadn’t received any calls regarding this issue. I said, well.... get ready, because I’m sure the calls will start coming after the deliveries are made today and customers start attempting to connect their headphones tot the app.

They ran me through all the standard solutions. (Update headphone, Reinstall app, forget Bluetooth, pair Bluetooth, etc). None of them worked.

I’m Thankful for the community of users that pressed on and found a solution on their own and have shared it.

The solution that seems to have worked (at least it got Bose Music App past the blank “Select An Accessory” popup) was the following solution from earlier in this thread.

>I have been able to pair my headphones to the app. On your iPhone, go to Setting > Display and Brightness > Auto-Lock > "Never"
>After waiting for two long minutes, I got the pairing enabled! It seems the iPhone by auto-locking is not giving enough time to make the pairing happen.

This worked for me. I did as stated above and switched iphone’s Auto-lock to never. I then closed out of settings and the Bose app. Then tried to connect Bose Music App to Bose 700 Headphones. The blank “select an accessory” screen came up and I thought I was back to square one, but I waited on the screen for about two minutes, and it populated with the Headphones as an option.

I selected the headphones and it seems to have moved forward appropriately from there.

K2Climber
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 5, 2019

Perhaps there are different issues here, that require different (and / or) multiple solutions.

The solution that is currently stated by moderator as the solution did not resolve the blank “select an accessory” pop-up issue that I had.

[Moderators Current Solution]
>Remove/Unpair your headphone from all devices
>Clear your pair list. Long press of the >Bluetooth/Power icon omn headset.
>Open Music app and start headset. Select the product and choose your headphone ”

The solution that fixed my issue and seems to have fixed the issue for many others is...

>I have been able to pair my headphones to the app. On your iPhone, go to Setting \ / Display and Brightness / Auto-Lock / "Never"

>After waiting for two long minutes, I got the pairing enabled! It seems the iPhone by auto-locking is not giving enough time to make the pairing happen.
Highlighted
rcpost
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

First, I want to thank the community for all your contributions/suggestions regardless of whether or not they solved my specific issues with my NCH-700 headphones. Believe me, I tried them all and, to be honest, I couldn't say which step or steps actually worked. However, this is what appeared to work:

1.  In the iPad and Samsung Galaxy Note (Android) located the Bluetooth device list and removed any variant of the NCH-700 (Note: it appears that the Bose Music App appends a "LE-" prefix to whatever you named your headphones so it is likely that there are two device names referrencing the same device).

2. Clear the headphone's paired list as previously stated with a long press of the Bluetooth/Power button on the headphone. This is one place where one can get very frustrated as timing the release of that button is critical. In this instance it won't matter since you are essentially clearing memory but when you go to pair "a new device" you must release at the prompt; a delay will take you to turning off Bluetooth.

3. If pairing to an IOS device - iPad/iPhone - as K2Climber suggests, set Display and Brightness/Autolock/Never.

Having written all that as a solution, it took several tries to make it work. Both the iPad and my Galaxy took repeated efforts, including a redo as I pressed on the Bluetooth/Power button to long. I might add that I'm relatively new to IOS so there may have been a slight learning curve but that's not so with Android as I've used an Android device for better than 8 years.

One final note: When selecting audio devices, I've been a Bose fan since I first heard the Bose Acoustimass surround entertainment system in the '80s. I did, however, comparison shop. Obviously, since the 700s weren't out, my Bose test used the QC35ii and I was blown away so I took a chance and pre-ordered the 700s. Here's my take-away. The sound as good as the QC35ii, they are a bit more comfortable and they have the look and feel of a premium headset. But are they worth an additional $100? With the Bose Connect app, I had the QC35ii paired to my iPad in seconds, not the hours of frustration it took to pair the NCH700 using the Bose Music app. And, the word has gotten out that Bose apps are very "glitchy," which my - and many in this community - have experienced. To put it bluntly, Bose really shot itself in the foot with this release. It released a much anticipated new product only to have that experience soured with poorly written and, apparently, untested software. And, frankly, even without the startup problems, the app itself isn't even close to being intuitive - leaving the user to guess where to go or how to get to an option if you didn't do it in the first place.

Nouman
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 7, 2019

Hi all, I tried all solutions but still not having any luck connecting with Bose music app.. I am able to connect in Bluetooth setting options and can hear music but in app still no success..

Hi Nouman, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am very sorry to hear that you are having this issue. 

Could you please update me on the steps that you have attempted so far? 

@rcpost I appreciate the feedback that you have provided. 

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B

Lamevan
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

I was eagerly awaiting these new headphones after being a long-time Bose customer (since the 80s). I must say that this is the absolute worst release they have ever launched. The headphones seem great but the integration with the Bose Music app ruined everything. Since you cannot get a consistent connection to the app, you can't change any of the settings on the headphones. You cannot even access the instructions or preferences without a connection. 

Overall, this is a big failure for Bose and I will return them ASAP.

davidbk
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 24, 2019

Agreed at this price point this should work right out of the box. I got mine to pair following this:

For iPhone, the steps I took to resolve the issue:

1. Delete app from iPhone

2. Navigate to Settings > Bluetooth, then forget headphones.

3. Download Bose Music app again, sign in, connect to headphones.

but now it fails when trying to update just fails and says "retrying" over and over.  Hey Bose you better be releasing a new app version to fix all this pretty soon or I'll be needing a refund.

Hello davidbk,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues updating, I would recommend that you try updating manually via a computer instead.

To install a Bose system update, follow these steps:

Note: A USB-A to USB-micro B cable (included) is required for this update

• Be sure the computer has internet connectivity, and that you're running a compatible operating system and web browser.

• Navigate to the Bose Bluetooth Device Updater page at btu.bose.com and select your product

• Click "Accept and Continue" to accept the terms of the Bose Updater

• Click "Download" to download the updater

• Once downloaded, open the file to install the updater, then connect the headphones to your computer via USB

• If an update is available, click "Apply Changes" to download the latest software. You can also click "Learn More" to find out about what improvements the update contains

• Once the system has been successfully updated, disconnect the headphones from the computer

I hope this helps, please let me know how you get on!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

drustemeyer
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

I tried al of these things and it did not work. The app finds the headphones, I select them and up pops a box that says 'connect an accessory' with nothing to select. I cancel out and go back to the picture of my headphones. Anyone have this issue?

superslowmotion
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

If you are on iOS like I am, you will have to Disconnect and Forget the Device for the Bose Headphones. There are actually two devices listed that I had to remove in my case, so be sure you remove both (cleared only one previously and did not work). I'm not sure why this headphones uses two connections, but it does. Once I did that for both devices in the list, I was able to connect the headphones with the Bose Music app.