Highlighted
madcow
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

Bose NC700 Notifications when on mute

I am listening to music steamed from my phone. (Samsung S9 with latest firmware, headphones latest firmware too)

I have my phone set to silent, not even vibrate.

However I am still getting tones in my headphones when notifications are coming in. I am working and don't want the distraction. I would have thought mute all tones and vibrations from the device would filter through to the headset too?

I cant see anything in the Bose app to use the phone settings for this.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Bose NC700 Notifications when on mute

Hello madcow,

Thank you for posting in the Bose Community.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem.

My first recommendation would be to reset the headphones. This can be done by following these steps:

1. Disconnect all cables from the headphones
  2. Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on
  3. Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth® button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup
  4. Release the Power/Bluetooth button after 2 seconds

Additionally, do you have another device that you could test this with?

I look forward to your response.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

madcow
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

Same thing.

At this point I am going to add it to the list of oddball things these headphones do.

Hello madcow, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

After researching this further, there have been some reports online regarding notifications occurring on some Android devices with Bluetooth headphones in general. Some websites have suggested that there may be a bug on the Android OS that is causing the notifications to link to Media Volume.

If you haven't, please make sure your headphones and the smartphone are both running the latest firmware. Other suggestions include turning off "notification access" of "Google" (Apps & notifications > special app access, or via search.) This is not something I can replicate in testing as I do not have a similar smartphone, but please give this a try on your Galaxy S9, and certainly have a look online for threads relating to "Notification sounds playing when silent mode on and media playing."

I'll look forward to hearing from you. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G