Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 13, 2019

Re: Bose NC700 headphones terrible call quality

I also have the same distortion issues in calls, using Skype for Business and MS-Teams.  Firmware already up-to-date.  I frequently have to take the lead in calls due to my mgt role.  Call attendees mention that my voice often sounds feeble and faint.  Certainly not ideal when having to steer the conversation.  Skype app also frequently indicates that my audio device is causing distortion.  

Device list cleared and reboot as suggested on July 13th, but this does not even work on my device:

To reboot your headset:

1. Disconnect all cables from the headphones
  2. Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on
  3. Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth® button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup
  4. Release the Power/Bluetooth button when the Bluetooth light blinks blue

I ended up holding the Power/BT button for more than 5mins.  BT light never came on again.  (I also repeated the procedure under the watchful eye of a colleague.  To no avail...)

To my best knowledge, I have now followed all suggestions, but still not fixed.

Two colleagues also have an NC700 and don't have any issues...

Now seriously considering getting a replacement.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 13, 2019

Got my replacement headset, installed the latest firmware (1.3.1.2028...)  and have been using it for a week now.  Until now, no problems at all!!    

Case closed as far as I am concerned.

So in this case, the issue may have been resolved 

- either by replacing the device (which would indicate a h/w issue)

- or by upgrading the firmware (which would indicate a s/w issue)

Thanks all for the thoughts, tips and advice.

Hope that you will get yours sorted out too 🙂

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

Same here. To be specific, "self-voice" doesn't appear to be working. I have the latest version of the Bose Music App (3.0.0) and latest firmware (1.3.1). iPhone XS running iOS 13.2.3. On the first calls I've made with it, I can't hear my own voice through the headphones themselves, despite the fact that Self Voice is set to "High" -- in other words, my voice sounds muffled, passively attenuated by the seal between the ear pieces and my head.

Highlighted

Hello thersites,

If you are having trouble with the self-voice feature on your Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 there are a couple of steps we can try to get it working correctly.

The first thing to try would be the reset mentioned on this thread above. To reboot your headset:

1. Disconnect all cables from the headphones
  2. Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on
  3. Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth® button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup
  4. Release the Power/Bluetooth button when the Bluetooth light blinks blue

Another thing worth trying would be adjusting the level of noise cancellation while on the call and seeing if we get any difference in the audio.

Let us know how you get on with that.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

The blue LED flashes as soon as I insert the USB-C cable into the 700s. Is that to be expected?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 16, 2019

Keith:
The reset procedure you are describing doesn't work on my NC700's. Nothing happens after the USB-C has been connected, except the BT/power indicator immediately fading out. It never comes back on or starts blinking.

My problem is similar to others having posted here. When I bought this pair in June (directly from Bose on your website), call quality was fantastic and everyone I spoke to said so. Now I can hear them just like before, but they can barely hear me - my voice level is very weak and occasionally people say it sounds choppy. Switching them off and speaking directly into my iPhone 11 running iOS 13.3, voice quality is much improved for the person I'm speaking to.

Please advise on how I should proceed!

My pair was made 5th of June.

Serial number [Hidden by Moderator]

Firmware version 1.3.1-2028+de73ce1

Highlighted

Hello all,

Thank you for trying the steps listed above - I'd like to restate some things.

When trying the reset, it's essential that you're already pressing the Power/Bluetooth button before you connect the USB-C cable to the headphones. As soon as you see the blinking blue light, regardless of how quickly it shows, let go of the Power/Bluetooth button to initiate the reset. 

Apologies that you're experiencing the difference in quality, but a correct product reset may help improve things. Also, I'd try using the headset with another mobile device, so we're testing if the issue happens to be consistent across other devices.

Warm regards,

Sam F

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 16, 2019

Hello Sam!

Thank you for your tip. However, the described reset procedure does NOT work on my NC700's.

What happens is that as soon as the USB-C is inserted, the blue light fades out and the headphones start charging. It doesn't matter for how short or long I've pressed the Power/BT button before I connect the USB-C cable - anything from 1/10th of a second to one second to five seconds - the same thing always happens: Blue light fades out and headphone starts charging. And there is certainly no reset of the headphones taking place.

Please advise how to proceed. I need these headphones at work, daily.

Highlighted

Hi there,

Thank you for confirming what you've tried - what you're describing seems quite unusual.

When you go through the process, once you connect the USB cable, do you see the Power LED blink twice? This should be an indication of whether the headphones are responding to the reset.

Also, have you been able to try the headphones with another mobile device to test the microphone quality?

Warm regards,

Sam F 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 16, 2019

Hello Sam!

No, there are no two blinks when I connect the USB cable. No blinks at all - the blue LED immediately fade to roughly half brightness and then fades. Then charging begins with the white blinking light at the USB C port.

I will try another phone tomorrow. This iPhone 11 works fine with all other Bluetooth devices that I've tried.

Thank you for your assistance!