jjjustice
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 26, 2019

Bose QC 35 Bluetooth indicator light won't shut off

The bluetooth indicator light is staying on all the time - anyone know how to turn it off or what the issue is? 

10 REPLIES 10
Community Manager

Re: Bose QC 35 Bluetooth indicator light won't shut off

Hi Jjjustice,

Welcome to the Bose Community forums. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your QuietComfort 35 headphones Bluetooth LED. 

That is unusual behavior for the headphones. Do any of the other LED's illuminate when you've attempted to power off the system? What color is the Bluetooth LED when it remains on? How are you powering off the headphones - have you fully slid the Power switch fully to the left of the slider with a slight click? Additionally, how long has this issue been ongoing for?

I'd love to suggest some troubleshooting suggestions to try and resolve the issue that you're currently experiencing with the headphones. Firstly, perform a reset on your headphones. This can be done by:

1. Turn off the headset and wait 30 seconds
  2. Plug the headset into a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait 5 seconds
  3. Unplug the USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute
  4. Turn on the headset

Following this, should the issue persist, check for and apply any available firmware updates for your headphones. This can be done either via the Bose Connect application or alternatively via a computer with a USB to Micro-USB cable via our firmware update website HERE.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kindest,

Andy B - Community Support

jjjustice
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 26, 2019

Hello

Thank you for your reply. No, just the bluetooth light stays on and it is a solid white light. Yes, I fully slide it to the left to power off. It's been for about a week. I think it may have started when I attempted to pair my headphones to my laptop. 

I followed the instructions you gave me ro reset them but it did not fix the issue- any other ideas?

jjjustice
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 26, 2019

I just did the firmware update as well and it did not fix the issue - the solid white light is still on. 

Community Manager

Hi Jjjustice,

Thanks for attempting some troubleshooting. I'm sorry to hear that the issue is still ongoing. Is this directly affecting the battery performance and life of the headphones?

I'd also suggest you perform a Bluetooth reset on the headphones, as the issue began when you attempted to pair them to a new device. This can be done by powering on your headset, then sliding and holding the Power switch toward the Bluetooth icon for about 10 seconds until you hear "Bluetooth device list cleared". 

If the issue persists, I encourage you to reach out to technical support in your region to explore available service options. Click HERE, select your location and use the "Contact Us" feature at the bottom of the page.

Kindest,

Andy B

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@jjjustice  If you have a QC35i and the light stays on all the time, you are part of a larger group of people with similar issues/observations and this problem has been going on for one to two years.  Bose engineers starting to look into this issue last Fall and we are still waiting for an official response/position.  Meanwhile, the customers here months ago have tested themselves and have determine the problem is associated with the shifting of the contacts in the on/off switch.  This is a hardware issue and has NO workaround.  Again the symptom is you turn off the QC35 and the light comes back on even with the switch in Off.

There really are only two options (other than your selling / giving it away or keeping it charging all the time when not in use):

1. There is a very long 60+ page post here which including instructions and pictures on how to fix it yourself.  Everyone that has done so, has said the problem has gone away.

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-35-I-is-Turning-On-By-Itself/td-p/106140

2. You call Bose and explain you are part of this group (troubleshooting is useless but you may have to do it anyway to satisfy them).  regardless of whether you are in or out of warantee you say you are entitled to a free exchange.  They will offer an exchange for a rediculous price.  REFUSE.  Keep asking.  If you get nowhere.  Call back.  Escalate to a supervisor.  Keep being PERSISTANT.  You will eventually get someone who will give you the free exchange.  There are some countries such as Austrailia and Germany to name a few that will not budge.  Ask for a US based support supervisor.  If they refuse, Google the main phone number (not the support number) at Bose HQ in Framingham, MA and then ask for the Bose Customer Service Manager. Againm be PERSISTENT.  Everyone here doing so, was able to get the free exchange.  This has nothing to do with you.  It is  Bose factory generated hardware malfunction/defect - at least to those who have done independent testing here.

mikey hax
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 1, 2019

I've had this issue for the past week and it has been really annoying. Tried disconnecting devices, unpairing devices, re-pairing them, tried the reset instructions that appear everywhere multiple times and the white light just stayed right there, even with the headset switched off, running down the battery. Eventually I gave up and let it run the battery right down to flat to get the damned thing to go off and luckily, when I charged it back up again from dead, the headset connected to my devices and the light went off. So woot for that!

jneblett@gmail.com
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 29, 2019

When this doesn't work, they will try to sell you a new headset for $269 at 1/2 half off.  I think they should replace these headsets but apparently Bose disagrees.  I believe this is a manufacturing defect of which they are aware but are just not standing behind their product.  Kind of too bad - Bose is a solid name and I expected much better from them.  I paid about $299 for this headset and it should have lasted longer than this.  Shame on Bose.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@mikey hax  Your situation is due to a hardware problem involving the contacts in your on/off switch.  Letting the power run down is not going to be a long term solution.  It is highly likely it will happen again.  You either need to open up the QC35 and fix the contacts yourself or get Bose to exchange your headphone for FREE (see my comments above).

Tclark0107
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 23, 2019

I tried resetting my headphones several times and also updated the firmware.  The switch still malfunctions and often requires many attempts to shut off.  They also randomly power up on their own.  Not only does this discharge the battery but often they unexpectedly connect to my iPhone  during conversations which frustrates me and the caller.  [Removed By Moderator] I'm preparing for an international trip and want to use these. I'd appreciate suggestions on how to correct this. 

Thank you,

Tom Clark