Highlighted
Lead Community Manager

Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Discussion

Hello,

Please use this thread to discuss the Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Report found hereNew threads specifically around the report findings will be closed or merged into this thread.

Thanks!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
145 REPLIES 145
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 21, 2020

Re: Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Discussion

So, in conclusion you guys did not find anything to be wrong with that sh** firmware. Do you think everyone who reported somehow lied to you? all the YouTubers who made the videos testing what you did and showing the degradation are also lying? is RTINGS website which is reputed and well known for their testing is also somehow lying and we should trust your findings after almost an year has passed with this issue lingering on? 

And very conveniently you have only tested 4.1.3 and above and allowing to downgrade to 4.1.3 where many people have reported the problems started with 4.x.x firmware. These were my first noise cancelling headphones and I bought these headphones over the competition just because I knew this was a superior brand but I won't buy from Bose again that's for sure. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 7, 2017

I absolutely applaud Bose wholeheartedly for the effort that went into this report. It's fantastic to see the level of detail that they went to ensuring that every detail was thought of.

10/10 to Bose for this report and the way they've handled this.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 29, 2019

Exceptionally professional Investigation and response. Shows the effort Bose has gone into to carry out a thorough review.

i have to say, in my opinion, a lot of the noise on the 4.5.2 thread were one post contributors jumping ‘on the band wagon’

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 2, 2020

I had a Bose QC 35 II without the latest software update. After I read the full report I decided to go for it and upgrade. Especially since it is now possible to downgrade.

So, I sat on the couch, put on my QC 35 without music and started the upgrade. All the time I had the QC 35 on my head without music. After the upgrade, the sound of television was considerably louder. The TV program did not change and my position on the couch did not change. The only difference was the firmware of the QC35.

Your investigation mainly focussed on the noice cancellation part. Your test with 5 participants also focused on "simulated airplane cabin noise environment". It seems that noice (like airplane sound) is cancelled the same, but "non noice" like voices is not.

So, downgraded to version 4.3.6 and checked again. Unfortunately, TV is still louder then it was before! What can I do now to fix this?

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2020

Well I must say that the report and findings published were very thorough, so top marks for that. Outcome it seems was not conclusive, there are simply too many comments stating the  issue is present for that to be the end of it. And final comment, someone should have noted on the thread that there was a thorough investigation going on (and re-posted it frequently if there was one). 

Anyway, I digress....Delighted to see the downgrade option however, when i click on it, nothing happens? Have reloaded the page and tried on a few devices, same result.

Can you guys have a look at that?   

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2020

Spoiler
Update: seems to be a Chrome browser issue - worked fine on MS Explorer. 
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2020

Just completed the downgrade. I don't hear a noticeable difference...

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 26, 2017

So when i bought them first in 2018, I was at 3.x.x Firmware. I upgraded it to 4.5.2 and faced same issues of ANC not functioning effectively as it should and there was no difference between High and Low. I took it to the service center here in India, New Delhi and They updated my firmware again as they said it was stuck due to app issue for IOS. After the service center upgradation there was a marginal difference between High and Low ANC but the ANC as such was deteriorated. I asked for a replacement under Warranty and i was offered a new one with pre installed firmware 4.3.6. Better than 4.5.2 but not a match of the 3.x.x. Now i am out of warranty and am surely not upgrading the firmware at all. After speaking to the bose service personally as i have many bose products and they now know me well, their recommendation and my personal recommendation as well is not to upgrade and live with what we have. If i dont get what is claimed in the box, or in the box, i have the right to question. In their advertisements and interviews, BOSE clearly claimed a quiter cabin in an aircraft and hardly any engine noise when turned to high. Thats not the case any more even with the replacement CANS without upgrading. I read the report as well. Looks like it was prepared with an intent to kill the issue, rather than genuinely resolve it. Atleast allow a downgrade to 3.x.x or 2.x.x until you resolve rather than botching up.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 1, 2017

" A small change was observed, with slightly higher performance for the post-update condition, by on average 0.4dBA, an imperceptible amount.  Bose engineering does not believe that this increase was due to firmware changes, but rather was an artifact of the test sequence and fixturing, which could not control for all variables. "

So what you are saying is basically that even without touching the ANC-related code in the firmware, you still getting deviations after upgrade?