Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 7, 2020

Re: Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Discussion

I'm working as a software engineer, so if your software department has a solid design, it doesnt take to much effort to seperate the noise cancelling functions of firmware 2.x.x and 3.x.x and create a new firmware where we have the new security functions as wel the old ANC functions. I hope we will get new firmware with the newest functions, security features AND the old ANC. That will be the ideal situation. I hope bose will listen to their customers and continue to have a HIGH QUALITY ANC headphones, in stead of a mid range quality headphone.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 12, 2018

@Wayne_M

i wanted to degrade the firmware but I can’t do it myself and I need to go to bose dealer. My country is lockdown and estimated it will be removed early next month. Can you please put it there until end of May?

I really want to wait till the next firmware is out. Are you sure the next firmware is coming out this year, let say in the month of June? I really need the ANC with cabin pressure maybe like the 700. I really hope bose will give a perfect firmware to keep the customers.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 2, 2020

Please tell me, if it’s a firmware bug, then why both my QC35IIs are fine with 4.5.2? The ANC as good as it was.
(Unless they changed the actual production and using difference hardware inside, providing better ANC which is way beyond the conspiracy theory) 

If it was a firmware problem, every single device should face with this issue. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 7, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to listen to feedback and action a report. However, it is quite clear to me and many others on this forum that there is indeed a link to the firmware update and noise cancellation performance. While the performance at your test frequencies may be the same between firmware versions, across the spectrum, it is not. Two filters can perform near identical in certain bands and differ drastically in others. For airplane engine noise, it still works great. At others, such as construction, street and vocal noise, there is a very real difference. It is also possible that the firmware update broke something on different hardware revisions. How/was the performance compared between different hardware revisions and across the frequency spectrum? For example, I purchased my QC35 II on launch day and have experienced this issue. You say that it is possible that users just got used to the noise cancellation and so there's no real problem. Well then why did this all happen to us at the same time? It may be possible that we heard about this before upgrading, and that could influence our perception. However, I did not hear about this issue until after I had upgraded, noticed the decrease in not only performance, but lack of difference between high and low levels compared to the previous firmware version, and then searched to see if others experienced the same. There seems to be a gap in your testing methodology that could provide an answer more representative of what we are reporting. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 7, 2020

Like so many others I noticed a drop in quality of the NQ and a lack of difference between the high and low setting after my headphones auto updated through the app on my phone.  I connected my headphones directly to my Mac to downgrade and instantly noticed the return of better NQ and a clear difference in high/low. The problem is that after the downgrade my headphones keep auto updating as there seems to be no way to opt out of this feature. I decided to downgrade again through the bose site and then upgrade through the site. This upgrade went way faster than the auto upgrade via my phone and now there is no difference in the performance. I wonder if it is possible that the auto update through the app and with the headphones connect via bluetooth is somehow bad and the one via the site is good?! I found a clear difference between the auto update and the update through the updater site.

So it would be nice if I can turn off the auto update feature.

I use my headphones the whole day solid listening to audiobooks or music and making phone-calls while operating a tractor or brush-cutter and while using chainsaws.  

I do have to say that I am a little disappointed in the way Bose has been dealing with this issue as most bose users like me are pretty solid customers and and have many bose products and have been very loyal customers. In return we expect to be believed when we find an issue with our product. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

What happened to the original 4.5.2 firmware thread and it's 230+ pages? 

It's strange that even though it is the biggest thread this forum has ever seen, and it has recent messages, it somehow disappeared from the first many pages of the board. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 26, 2017

then lets make this thread 230+ pages and make it appear in the top threads of the board..

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 30, 2019

After their 'final' post, they closed the old and long thread.

Stating (more or less) we have to continue here.

Quoting

Afterwards, you can participate in a discussion around the report at this thread.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2020

I have upgraded to version 4.5.2 and encounter the issue that most people experience. NC function is working as expected however during phone call is not. The person on the other end is telling me that the background noise seems amplified. Even slowly scrubbing my hand in the table is hear clearly.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2020

Have you tested it during phone call? Is the background noise not amplified?