Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 2, 2020

Re: Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Discussion

I have had 7 pairs of Sony WH-1000XM3 but after the 6th replacement I just simply gave up. Very poor built! Cheap plastics all round. The headband and hinges start creaking, squeaking pretty badly, within a week of usage, like a plastic toy for 5 years olds. I used the latest 4.2.2 firmware with them, and never been impressed with the ANC. Not just one, experinced the same with the all 7 pairs. The noise cancellating wasn't better than my Bose QC35 IIs or my N700s...wasn't worse either,  but nothing special. However there is one thing I have to mention. The Sony's ANC was completely useless on public transport, especially when travelling on buses. If the bus hits a pot hole or bump, the ANC suddenly goes off for a second,  causing heavy distortion to the music and you can also hear the pothole throught the headphone, terrible. Also, the adaptive function is so unreliable sometimes changes to transport or walking node while you've been sitting already for half an hour and didn't move at all. Or just stuck in walking mode even you sat down already and you've been like that for 10-15 minutes. First thing first to turn off this feature as sooon as the app got installed.

For this pricetag these issues are just simply unacceptable.

So even if users jump off the Bose ship, where would they go? So funny, from here everyone wants go for the Sonys... But reading the Sony community, everybody from there wants to jump over to the Bose ship. 🤣

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 9, 2020

I started using my headphones in March but since working from home I have realised the high noise cancelling setting isn’t any different to the low (I can hear my partners conversations loud and clear from another room). I have tried the steps in this post

https://community.bose.com/t5/Home-Theater-Speakers-Archive/No-more-difference-between-low-an-high-n...

but it has made no difference. Can you please offer some advice on how to fix this? I have the QC 35 II

thanks

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 2, 2018

Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Discussion

Hi everyone,

i think we can wish about a QC35 “replacement program” due to the latest firmware issue. Obviously bose could solve the issue replacing the QC35 with the Headphones 700 or a big discount for these.

what do you think about it? And bose?

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 9, 2020

Re: QC 35 I & II Replacement program due to Latest Firmware ANC Issue

Not sure what the solution is but I do know that noise cancellation on these expensive noise cancellation headphones doesn’t work! So I’m certain Bose will address this issue...

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 29, 2019

No changes to me (QC35i). I downgraded and still no difference between low and high. Really disappointed. Not sure how Bose didn't figure out the issue yet. Maybe indeed related to some serial number? Mine ends with AE and date o manufacturing March 2017.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 2, 2018

Bose removed my thread about the possibility to obtain the QC35 replacement with HP700 due to a policy violation.

bose, sorry for this.

is still true the opinion that we should ask for a QC35 replacement with another ANC headphones (Headphones 700)

so please, Bose, can you answerr about this possibility?

thank you

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 11, 2020

FWIW,  about a month ago, I purchased a like-new used set of QC35 series 1.  It came with firmware 2.5.5.  After reading about the possible issues with firmware upgrades I just kept it at 2.5.5.

I then purchased a like-new used set of Sony WH1000MX3 with the latest Sony firmware.  I must say their noise cancellation is a bit better than the QC35.  However, the quality of the mic when making a phone call or Skype call is just terrible.  I've been thru their forums and that's just the way it is.  People on the other end think my voice is very muffled and muddy.  Plus they don't allow for 2 bluetooth connections.  So much for the Sonys.

So since the Bose updater promised that I could revert to the 2.5.5. version, I let it update me to 3.0.3.  I can say that for me, there is no loss in noise cancelling.  If anything, it might be a tiny bit better but it's very hard to tell.  I can easliy notice the difference between off vs low vs high. 

I'll be putting the Sonys on the market.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 12, 2020

Yes great analysis. But all these users cannot be lying and Bose has not offered any real solution except for downgrading the FW.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 8, 2020

I came across this article on how noise canceling headphones work, and thought it might be of interest to the group... 

https://www.soundstagesolo.com/index.php/features/178-eardrum-suck-the-mystery-solved

"...the eardrum suck phenomenon isn’t directly caused by highly effective noise canceling. It’s a side effect caused by the filter required to achieve highly effective noise canceling without encountering feedback problems. So it appears we may always have this tradeoff -- the headphones with the best noise canceling will produce the strongest eardrum suck effect."

"I could start with a modicum of cancelation, then increase the filter slope to give the maximum cancelation, and I could feel the pressure effect increasing. If the transition is very steep -- if you try to get as much cancelation in the lows as possible, then have to bring it abruptly back to zero by using a steeper filter slope -- that mode gives you the most pressure effect.”

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

So I was waiting for the results of this investigation to see if my headphones can be fixed. The microphone on my headset is so sensitive that it picks up sounds from another room. Since Bose thinks there are no problems with the product, I guess I just have a defective unit?

I recorded a video of me with the $300 Bose QC35 II vs a $30 noise-canceling headset. The $30 headset won hands down.

What am I to do now?

Edit: I was able to get ahold of tech support and this is what they told me. The noise-canceling technology is only for the speakers when playing music and not the microphone or the speakers when music is not playing. He told me the headphones are not meant for taking phone calls and the mic will pick up all ambient sounds.

So there you go. I wish I would have known this before spending $300. I would have gotten myself a gaming headset which has a usable microphone.