Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 22, 2019

Re: Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Discussion

I updated my headphones to the latest version and experience the same thing everyone is talking about here!!! Rolling back to the one version before didn't fixed anything. High and low ANC is pretty much the same now...

Just let us roll back to whatever version we want, what is the problem with that? What is detailed reasoning behind not letting users to rollback to the old drivers?
Why the old workaround that allowed the users to patch the drivers was fixed up?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 5, 2020

This is really ridiculous. Every cheap headset with a microphone does noise cancelling for the speaker's voice but a quite expensive headset doesn't... For such a "new high end feature" we have to upgrade to the new product line 😠

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 2, 2020

For phone calls, everybody’s beloved Sony WH-1000XM3 is even worse.  Compare to the XM3, the phone calls on the QC35 II and the NC700 is night and day. Once you experience a “phone call” on the Sony, you’ll start to respect the Bose straight away. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Aug 13, 2019

@Smedley wrote:

I came across this article on how noise canceling headphones work, and thought it might be of interest to the group... 

https://www.soundstagesolo.com/index.php/features/178-eardrum-suck-the-mystery-solved

"...the eardrum suck phenomenon isn’t directly caused by highly effective noise canceling. It’s a side effect caused by the filter required to achieve highly effective noise canceling without encountering feedback problems. So it appears we may always have this tradeoff -- the headphones with the best noise canceling will produce the strongest eardrum suck effect."

"I could start with a modicum of cancelation, then increase the filter slope to give the maximum cancelation, and I could feel the pressure effect increasing. If the transition is very steep -- if you try to get as much cancelation in the lows as possible, then have to bring it abruptly back to zero by using a steeper filter slope -- that mode gives you the most pressure effect.”

Nice find, tnx! I thought this info was known already, at least I did find a few references to this here and there. But anyway, good to find it reconfirmed. I'm rather sure Bose have been toying around with the filters to find the optimal balance between "cabin pressure" and "active noise cancelation", and during this proces were able to reduce the cabin pressure effect but also reduced the ANC effect, especially for the mid-range where voices are. I assume this is because they might be focusing on airplane noise cancelation, which is engine and AC hum mainly, not human voices.

I do also believe that most complaints have very much to do with how our brain get used to certain audio effects, and automatically (tries to) compensate. Everybody living in a place with some loud regular noise knows this, after a while you don't hear it anymore, it's pushed to the background, while new people hear it immediately.

Proof in case: Apple AirPod Pro users now starting to complain about ANC being less effective after firmware updates 😛 https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/17/21069953/apple-airpods-pro-noise-cancellation-problems-firmware-2...

Also: there seems to be a misunderstanding about what ANC Low actually does: it's mainly reducing the input of the external mics, to reduce feedback from wind noises when biking/running outside. Not so much to reduce ANC a lot. 

Last: some people seem to have their laptop/phone mic inputs connected through bluetooth as mic input, which creates an "open mic" into your headphones, picking up all external noises from your surroundings, but not going through the ANC circuit. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 22, 2019

Cool, but I like to still have my own choice on this, just have a button to choose between less and more cabin noise. I personally loved it just to have my QC2 on, without listening to any music and have my silence in the house. Since the current situation, everyone in my shared flat works from home and the noise from all over the place accumulates pretty easily. Not having voices filtered is the huge downgrade for me. 

For the love of our nerves, just let us downgrade to whatever version we want. I can live without AR and security features, but I need my ANC back 😕

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 21, 2019

Well, Majority of people already knew Bose will not readily acknowledge the issue, if they wanted it would had been months ago. Now returning to last firmware, there was already a workaround posted on reddit and many have already confirmed it doesnot fix the issue so do the official downgrade process as well. Orginal thread of thousands of feedback and so called technical analysis proving Bose is correct has not been helpful to fix the original issue. 

If you are reading this, make a beta firmware just for ones who are willing to do on there own risk and reduce the lows as much as possible which will obviously bring the cabin pressure up and you would find thousands appreciating your team and recommending headphones to millions.

Regards,

Hidayat

Nothing more to expect from Bose.. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Aug 13, 2019

@Ignash wrote:

Cool, but I like to still have my own choice on this, just have a button to choose between less and more cabin noise. I personally loved it just to have my QC2 on, without listening to any music and have my silence in the house. Since the current situation, everyone in my shared flat works from home and the noise from all over the place accumulates pretty easily. Not having voices filtered is the huge downgrade for me. 

For the love of our nerves, just let us downgrade to whatever version we want. I can live without AR and security features, but I need my ANC back 😕

I agree that an option to choose between more and less "cabin pressure" would be good, assuming it would change some of the filtering to reduce certain frequencies more or less.

But to be clear: ANC is not able to filter voices, the passive over-ear canceling might dampen voices, ofcourse playing music with frequencies in the voice-spectrum also helps to drown voices outside, and maybe if a person talks in a certain monotonous way some of the more regular and repeating frequencies can be reduced, but really actively cancelling talking is not feasible with the current processing power of any ANC headphones, maybe except for super-expensive military grade stuff. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 22, 2019

Ofcourse, it used to dampen the sounds, not silencing, but at the same time before update I've hardly heard anyone at my home and now after the update I can hear everyone constantly. Sorry i don't have the scientific explanation for this, heck, i even don't know which firmware I had before, i think it was 3 something, but still, why not letting us downgrade the software that worked for us?

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 26, 2017

Since My replacement headphones, after the updation to 4.5.2 resulted in poor ANC, are with 4.1.6. I am not upgrading them again. Living with the same. The trade off is i dont get to use the AR features and until i upgrade, i am not seeing the AR symbol in the Bose Connect App. The good part, while my original buys were AE model, which didnt have AR, the Warranty exchange were AZ and All AZ models have Bose AR ( They refreshed the models with an addition of Accelerometer and Gyroscope i guess). So some day, if the genuine update comes, to sort the issues, I will update and may be find my AR features working. The problem with 4.1.6 is they are better than 4.5.2 when its only high ANC on, but no difference between low and high within 4.1.6.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 17, 2020

So, guys, this BOSE, research is total scam. How so many people, from different parts of the world saying that they experience this issue, and I myself did, but they say no, you guys don't, check how phones seat on the head. 

[removed by moderator]

However, people, somehow I fixed my phones, and now ANC works like a year ago before update!

So, I did experience the problem, but continued to use my phones. (Since 2017 the are with me)

Yesterday I spoke on phone via them for around 3 hours.

After that I felt huge hiss in left cup. 

At home I reinstaled firmware to lower one, then from phone installed 4.5.2, after that did the same from PC, because app doesn't provide full firmware.

Didn't help, hiss was on place and poor ANC either.

I disambled both cups, cleaned everything, after that collected back. 

That didn't help.

So I decided, that if I spoke for a long time on high volume, and it made hiss, maybe the same will fix?

I put phones around pillow, put a music chanel on phone on the max volume and left it in the room with 40 degree temperature (celsium) 

Went to sleep for 4-5 hours.

After that I turned phones, and....

**bleep**, magic! No hiss!!!!

After that I wanted to put to ANC off, pushed the button and WOW! I sensed long lost feeling of lower ANC!!!!

Now it is absolutely normal, cabin pressure and ANC works like before 4.5.2 installation, and that's again those marvelous headphones!!!

Don't know, but maybe the same sequence will help some pure guy!

Good luck guys, and BOSE suck since 2019