Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Aug 13, 2019

Re: Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Discussion

@Cub0002 wrote:

As an alternative...I bought a wired cable with mic in Ebay plug it in while ANC is on.

Result is awesome..they barely hear the background and audio is clear both incoming and outgoing.

You might check your Input device settings. Connecting the cable to the headphones disables the mic-input. It could very well be that when using bluetooth you have another mic (f.e. from your laptop or mobile phone) connected as the input device, which makes you hear all kinds of external sounds in the headphone.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 22, 2020

Good riddance.

Participant
Registered since

Apr 22, 2020

I have been wondering for some time why my noise cancellation has stopped working and realized this is due to this upgrade. Is there any way to trouble shoot this? This thread is incredibly long and trying to see if there is something I can do. Please let me know. Thank you

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 22, 2020

You don't even allow us to downgrade to 3.x.x. Never buying another Bose product again.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2020

Connecting it to my laptop is ok since I can disable the headset mic...however doing phone call is really bad, background noise is enhance. Using a wire solves the background issues.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Aug 13, 2019

@Cub0002 wrote:

Connecting it to my laptop is ok since I can disable the headset mic...however doing phone call is really bad, background noise is enhance. Using a wire solves the background issues.

This is by design: piping the outside voice-mic into your headphone audio makes you talk less loud, as you can hear your own voice, and you can also hear what the other side wil hear. I think it's a smart thing, but maybe it takes some time to get used to.

Again, no ANC headphone is able to cancel out "incidental" noises, and the other side will always hear outside noises when using a microphone.  

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2020

If the background noise becomes annoying to the person you're talking on the phone that is not normal anymore. When they hear those background more than your voice that is not normal anymore. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

I am getting really frustrated over here!

I can hear my daughter talking to our dog at 20ft from me! The television is on and I can perfectly follow everything sound and everything that has been said with ANC on High.

The problem, which Bose likes to ignore, is in the mic. It amplifies the surrounding noices as the headphone/mic is on constant standby for Alexa of Siri. And the the sensitivity is on high and thus it bounces back in the speakers of the headphone.

I was on a teleconference with my colleagues and to hear them good, I had the volume rather high. Buth the amplification of the surrounding sound went with it, so my colleagues started to complain about these background noices.

THERE IS YOUR POBLEM, BOSE. You integrated Alexa and/or SIRI on 4.5.3 and that's the whole problem. Please look into this!

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Aug 13, 2019

@Tommeke wrote:

I am getting really frustrated over here!

I can hear my daughter talking to our dog at 20ft from me! The television is on and I can perfectly follow everything sound and everything that has been said with ANC on High.

The problem, which Bose likes to ignore, is in the mic. It amplifies the surrounding noices as the headphone/mic is on constant standby for Alexa of Siri. And the the sensitivity is on high and thus it bounces back in the speakers of the headphone.

I was on a teleconference with my colleagues and to hear them good, I had the volume rather high. Buth the amplification of the surrounding sound went with it, so my colleagues started to complain about these background noices.

THERE IS YOUR POBLEM, BOSE. You integrated Alexa and/or SIRI on 4.5.3 and that's the whole problem. Please look into this!

could very well be the case. I'm not using Siri or Alexa, so I don't have these issues. I can image it's super irritating, and it's also not how the headphones should behave. The voice mic should only be active when being in a phone call, or explicitly activating it. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

I think I almost found what is THE PROBLEM!!

To all users: Go in your setting and shut down SIRI and/or ALEXA and in every other app, where the setting of the microphone is ON, slide it to OFF. The ANC is back to 90% of what we are all searching for, so there is still somewhere a leak. (I found that google assistant was a mayor mic user)

Bose, make 4.5.3 in which you program to use the mic to "USE IN APP" instead of ALWAYS ON. Like in many apps of apple, they always ask to use "LOCATION WHEN APP IN USE", make that happen for the mic.