Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

Re: Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Discussion

And as an extra question for the BOSE engineers: Did you or did you not use test equipment to search after this problem that had no app or any other software that had a standard usage of the mic?

I am pretty convinced you have sound back from the mic to the earphone which is thus killing the ANC.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 22, 2020

I believe you are correct Tommeke.

An interesting discovery I made that would support your statement is that when biking to work there is a lot of wind sound when ANC is set to high. When ANC is set to low the wind sound is gone.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 5, 2020

I too have noticed this with the wind noise better controlled on low setting, this confused me!

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 2, 2020

Why everyone surprised on the wind noise cancellation on “low” setting? 
If you read the description carefully in the app, it clearly states that. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 22, 2020

I deleted the app so that my headphones don't update automatically anymore.

Just looked up a picture of noise cancelling options. looks you are right.

but i still feel like there is a big difference between 3.x.x firmwares and 4.x.x firmwares.

It's like they tried to alleviate that cabin pressure effect that they had previously on high setting and subsequently made is so that there is little to no difference between ANC on high and low. I would love to know exactly what they did with 4.x.x firmwares and why that cabin pressure feeling that made the noise cancelling so great is gone.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 26, 2017

@Tommeke I guess, This was also talked about in the previous thread which had over 200 pages. It would be great for all of us in case you or someone can help us with a step by step guide for Ios / Android or both , if possible, as to how to disable Siri / Alexa and how to change every app's setting to turn it off, may be by posting some snapshots? All of us can benefit from the same as to how you achieved the outcome.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

In iOS, go settings, then open Siri and search options, slide the button “listen to Hey Siri” to OFF.

Also in settings, slide down to the apps list and look for the app Assistant (white with coloured balls), choose that app and look for use of microphone, slide to OFF. 

That’s what made it better for me but still not completely like before.

I am sorry I don’t know exactly how to for Android but it will be the same methode more or less.

Highlighted
Lead Community Manager

I want to preface this post by saying the human perception of sound is complex and personal. It is difficult for anyone to quantify a subjective experience and that is why during our home visits we set up an elaborate test procedure and why our engineering evaluations focus on objective data. Not only that, but everyone is different. We design our products to deliver the best possible experience for most customers, however, since we all have different physiology and preferences for things like fit and comfort, each person’s experience will be unique to them.

During our engineering tests, what we found was that upgrading to 4.5.2 did not change ANC performance. Even in our in-home visits, the five members we visited with had reported reduced noise cancellation when upgrading their personal headsets, however, at the end of the visit “Neither the participants nor the Bose engineer observed noticeable changes in performance after updating the headphone firmware to 4.5.2 live during the visits."

Remember, during our in-home visits we reproduced a “fresh unboxing” by updating a pair of QC35 IIs live using the same method the member had used to upgrade their personal headphones. None of the participants noticed any meaningful noise reduction difference in this pair when compared to the 4.1.3 reference or their personal, upgraded headset, except for the headsets with hardware related issues.  They also experienced a performance difference between ANR High and ANR Low. When we added these five to the other headsets we received, the only sets that were not working to factory specification were the ones with hardware damage. That also includes the thousands more headsets we have received and retested through remanufacturing.

Once more, we are not saying people didn’t experience a change to ANC performance or that to them Low and High don’t sound the same. Simply put, it is impossible for us to experience your perception of sound. The purpose of the in-home visits was to try and share as much of the experience of your sound as possible. As you said @joelirwin, many customers said they upgraded and didn’t notice any change in their ANC performance. Other say they did. It is possible that both are right. Once again, human perception of sound is complex and personal. However, we are confident from the objective data of our tests that source of that ANC loss is not the firmware or upgrading to it.

I also wanted to address some of the conversation brought up by @Tommeke.

VPAs (Google Assistant, Alexa, SIRI) are not active during a call on our headset. The Settings you are referring to are only for permission of the App service to use the microphone on your phone. However, with the integration of Alexa and Google Assistant on our headset you can use our communication mics, but that is only done when you push the action button and ‘key’ the mic. At no other time does a VPA have access to your headset’s microphones. As we mentioned above, our mics are off for VPA usage and even the VPA button is disabled when the headphones are in an active voice call over HSP/HFP BT connection with your device.

Here is some info from a past post with regards to how our headset works while in the call and where the microphone path is routed.

“Something important to note is that since these microphones are aligned in the direction of your mouth, loud noises directly in front of you may be picked up by the mic system and transmitted to the person you are talking to on the phone as well as heard in sidetone. To mute your microphones during a call, you can either use the microphone mute feature on your mobile app, or you can mute the mics directly from the headphone by simultaneously pressing the “+” and “-“ buttons on the right earcup. Self-Voice (sidetone) is only ever heard by the wearer of the headset and not the person on the other end of the call.”

Thanks! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Lead Community Manager

Also, just as a reminder, this thread is to discuss the Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Report found here. There has been some good conversation around it in this thread so far, but some of the topics and questions that have come up are addressed in the report.

This thread is not to discuss firmware 4.5.2 or other topics outside of the above, but rather specifically the report regarding our findings that upgrading to 4.5.2 impacts ANC. If you have issues with your headset or questions and comments about the features or how it works, please make sure to see if there is already an existing thread on the topic, and if not please open a new one. Off topic conversations will be moved to a new thread.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 22, 2020

@Wayne_M Comparing firmware 4.5.2 to 4.1.3 is useless. In my opinion you should compare it to firmware 3.1.8. as from personal experience the problems started in 4.x.x firmwares. Also I do not understand why Bose does not allow users to downgrade lower than 4.3.6. Support has told me that it is not possible however it clearly is possible because user edited Bose update softwares allowed you to do so. However, Bose patched these edited Bose update softwares for some reason.     A very easy way to stop all the complaints is just to allow users to downgrade to whatever firmware they would like. I do not see what is wrong with that, we payed for the product so let us downgrade to any firmware. If there is a change when downgrading to 3.x.x firmwares then customers are happy. If not, then the Bose investigation was correct. It would be a win-win. It’s so simple and I honestly don’t understand why Bose doesn’t allow us to.