Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 27, 2020

Re: Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Discussion

Hey thank for the heads up @Seekay .

I'll check out the nuraphones.

On another note, I'm already waiting for the XM4's as well.

Might be out in June hopefully.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@HammerSlavikThe 'problem'/complication is that firstly whether ANC is changed is 'subjective' which is what we are hearing from Bose and read in the report whether we agree with it or not.  But more importantly, it is not 'consistent'.  Not every unit is having the issue.  I have gone through most of the firmware upgrades and in the case of 4.5.2, I have done the upgrade both ways and I personally have no 'issue' with ANC - the HIGH, LOW, OFF settings are clearly different and I am happy with the ANC.

So IMHO I don't believe it is the update process itself - that is, I do not believe or have read evidence here that the resultant code put into the QC35ii's by the update process differs/varies by unit.  Remember that is all the update process does is replace firmware code with other firmware code.  Again to say it's the update process, you would have to show that the code for a particular version in one unit is not identical to another unit.

From what I have read and interacted with people here in the last year+ I believe leads me to the conclusion that if the results vary by unit and user it is either:

1. Some variability in the way people hear ANC (Bose's claim) or

2. Variability in the chipsets in some units which are 'out of spec' and so when the firmware performs ANC, it expects certain responses from the chips but is getting different responses which the firmware is not accommodating (or can't accommodate).  In other words your chipsets are providing different results (incorrect ones) from my chipsets (correct ones).  Hence why I think ANC is fine and you don't.  Hope that makes sense.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 2, 2020

Too bad, I was about to buy QC 35 II after returning my NC700s due to comfort issues, but now that the ANC is not working properly, why should I buy QC35II? It looks like Bose is going to lose a lot of clients.

I quote what other user wrote on reddit: This smells of “the 700 ANC wasn’t good enough to buy over the 35 so we gotta inflate the difference”

anyway... guys, can you recommend me other headphones with the same comfort and ANC features as the QC35II's, if there is nothing I guess I will try the earbuds because other over ear headphones (including the NC700) are uncomfortable for me.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 2, 2020

@conker I have two pair of QC35 IIs from a recent purchase, the ANC works fine on both with the latest 4.5.2 firmware. I would recommend to give them a try, at least. 

Another tip and imo one of the best wireless ANC headphones, if you want a superior sound quality with a premium built and very unique features and advanced technology, then try out the Nuraphones. The fit takes some getting used to but they have 30 days satisfactory money back guarantee so there is nothing to lose. 

The only ones I can’t recommend are the Sony WH-1000XM3. Cheap plastics all round, squeaking-creaking headband and hinges, terrible microphone with phone calls and the ANC also has problems. The ANC mics pick up the loud rattles and noises due to uneven roads, potholes on public transport when listening to music, and all come through the speaker, terrible. I had 6 replacement pairs, under the warranty only within 2 months. Don’t recommend the Sony XM3s, unless you really believe the hype and want them anyway. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2020

after upgrading to 4.5.2 bose works like  the cheapest headphones available on street.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 5, 2019

@Harmeet Singh wrote:

after upgrading to 4.5.2 bose works like  the cheapest headphones available on street.

Could you send them to Bose, so they could analyze your headphones?

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 16, 2019

Has anyone had any luck by downgrading the fimewire?

Anyway, this is my 2nd and last Bose product. I also have Companion 5 speakers that needs to power off every day I wanna use them. For now, it seems like they just destroy their products with fimewires after they are no longer in retail.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 11, 2017

@Wayne_M 

Thank you Wayne for helping everyone here.  I know Bose put alot of work into this.  I had a few questions if you find time to answer.  

1. I have a pair of QC35i headphones with the an AE serial made in 2016.  When they came out they had 1.0.3 firmware.  I updated several times over the years from 1.03, 1.0.5, 1.2.x, 1.3.1, 1.3.2, and finally 3.0.3.  For me the issues with ANC started becoming noticeable with the jump from 1.x.x to 3.x.x.  I think what some of these independent reviews are finding is true that some frequencies are experiencing less noise cancellation with the firmware updates than others.  Is it possible for Bose to create some kind of chart that shows the difference testing frequencies and the results across 1.x, 2.x, 3.x and 4.x?  I think that might be the only way this finally gets put to rest is if people can see the results across the different firmware versions and then pick the version they want.  Security updates and other changes in the updates come secondary to most users and ANC performance is more important.  

2. Is firmware version 2.5.5 the lowest possible downgrade for these original qc35i headphones?  I was not happy with the update to 3.0.3 and going down to 2.5.5 seems to have helped improve things a little but not like it was with 1.x.x versions.  Can we go back to 1.0.6?

3. Is there any kind of changelog or running release notes page that shows the changes from version to version so I can see the other security changes and fixes with each version?  Hopefully this is all in one place somewhere.  

Again, thank you for all your help on this.  I think everyone wishes this was over but I have to say my vote is that there IS a difference in ANC performance between versions and I think the only way to put this whole thing to bed is to show a graph with measurements between versions.  The youtube videos linked do a pretty good job of explaining, maybe Bose can make a youtube video similar showing more detail.  

Thanks again. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 24, 2020

Hey,

Did you resolve this?

I have just done the same thing on my QC35ii's...I knew nothing of the issues with the Firmware.

I updated it, noice cancelling was reduced, I then downgraded it back, but the noise cancelling is no where near as good as it was...I'm devastated, I loved my headphones before...

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 24, 2020

Obviously you are mistaken.  Bose has spent dozens of hours producing a report detailing exactly how any decrease in noise cancelling is absolutely nothing to do with them.  The fact than you, I, and thousands of others believe otherwise remains a mystery.  It really is quite disappointing that people like you keep popping up and independently create the same myths.