Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 20, 2020

Re: Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Discussion

I got my replacement set. The initial set was version 3xx. It was all so good and really quiet. I accidentally hit the button “update firmware “, and poof 4.5.2. I am wondering if i had my ANC turned on when im in my room using my fan. Yes, it worked with High, low and off ANC. But i will say it is more like muffed rather than block out. The best description will be going to the F1 race with and without the earplugs. You still hear noises.

i got the replacement set but it was 4.3.6 and it was never as good as firmware 3xx. I feel no different between 4.3.6 and 4.5.2.

my warranty had ran out and i am not able to get replacement set or to sell it at higher price. Will there be any solution? New firmware 5 or allow us to roll back to firmware 3?

although i am not qualified to be the sound engineer, by looking at the report made, i am very very sure you guys flawed your testing. Have you ever sent your car back into workshop to complain about how inefficient your engine is working compared to 6 months ago? Yes the car tech will do all necessary things and tell you that your car is normal. What i am trying to say, get 10 headset with firmware 3xxx and compared it with 10 headset with firmware 4xxx. I am very sure its gonna be different outcome from the report.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Genki89Bose spent a bunch of time and effort looking at this issue.  They came up with their conclusions at the end of 2019.  I do not work for Bose but it is my opinion, they see themselves as having addressed the 'issue' and it is highly unlikely we will see any more effort or changes to 'address' our concerns.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 4, 2019

I agree wholeheartedly.  That's the most comprehensive response I think I've ever seen by a company to a product complaint by customers.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Hi All,

so is there any news about that firmware update, or you consider this issue as solved and wont do anything, and did you test upgrading to new firmware an old firmware, or did you just downgrade to old firmware and compare the results which wont make any sense as downgrading is not fixing anything.

So what is the latest status about that problem ?

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@kutomutoI will be brief as I am not Bose and don't want to hijack this post.

1. Bose never pre-announces anything here - not firmware and not products.  You won't see any thread on new firmware until after it is released and announced.

2. They have a very detailed discussion which you have undoubtably read.  They occasionally update it with more information (https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Bose-QC-35-Firmware-4-5-2-Noise-Cancellation-...).  This is all we will see.  If it is not there they either didn't test that way or don't want to share any more results.

3. My take on status is they are done and this is closed.  If it is anything else, a moderator would have to come to this thread or elsewhere in this forum and say so.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

As impressive as the report from Bose is, I'm still not convinced that it's safe to upgrade. I'm staying on 2.0.1 for now. I ran a test at home where I connected my laptop to my bluetooth speakers and ran this Airplane Cabin noise audio at fairly high volume. I then cycled my QC35II's through High, Low and off using the Multifunction button on the left cup. There is a noticeable difference between the three settings. My fear is that if I upgrade and it breaks, I won't be able to go back to 2.0.1. I wish Bose would gives it users broader downgrade options, even if its temporary.

Is it possible that this issue is only occurring on a certain batch? Are all QC35II's created equally and are we capturing data on manufacturing dates to see if there is a pattern linked to when the headphones where produced for customers complaining post FW upgrade?

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@TheFalconIt may be actually smaller than what you call 'batch' or a given manufacturing date. I have personally believe and have suggested/guessed in this and the previous thread that this replaced, that manufacturers often 'source' chips used on the circuit boards from multiple places and the chips are manufactured 'to spec'.  It may be possible that one of these locations supplied chips Bose used in the QC35 who had some part of the spec behave differently and the Bose firmware in the QC35 assumes a particular set of outcomes based on particular criteria and those chips provide a different outcome.  This could explain why some QC35 ii's like mine upgrade to 4.5.2 and can still hear the difference between the three settings while others upgrade to the same 4.5.2 and HIGH and LOW sound the same.

It is not the source of the upgrade - I have upgraded both from Bose Connect and then the website - same good result.  And I highly doubt it is the upgrading process/software itself.

So that leaves the hardware in the QC35.  And again, I don't believe the hardware or chips are failing - they are instead outputting the wrong expected answers to a specific input criteria.

Bose has never addressed this 'suggestion' I have made nor have they said they have checked it and eliminated it as a possible cause.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

are your headphones the AE or AZ model?

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

AE.  I traded it with Bose for my QC35i in Dec 2018 when my QC35i would not turn off (it was one of those with slipping on/off switch contacts).

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 30, 2019

Bump....