Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 5, 2020

Re: Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Discussion

If don't have intention to fix, I want a way to roll back updates. I don't care about the fixes I care about the silence. If the silence was not affecting my capacity to hear, I want it back.

#veryfrustratedwithbose. I would prefer to still believe the hardware was degrading than it was an update issue

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@m1sterd 

>It clearly isn't one particular firmware version that causes the issue, I think it has to be to do with the

>update process possibly updating some audio calibration data or something else that is randomly

>effecting some headphones, 

You can call it random but it is not my definition of random.  I've been following this and while I don't work for Bose here is what I still believe

1. It doesn't happen to every unit.  I have upgraded twice - once each method - app and web site and mine are still fine and work as required imho.  So that means in my opinion, that it is not the upgrade process - at least the process itself.

2. Since many units work ok and many do not on multiple firmwares, it is not the firmware itself imho.

3. That leaves us with a hardware issue.  But since some work and some do not, how can that be.  Well there a chips and circuits in the headphone which are created and designed and work in a certain way.  The firmware expects certain 'behavior' from this hardware when it interacts with the chips.  I believe that some of the circuits/chips whether they be sourced from the same factories or others which are guaranteed to behave to spec are NOT behaving to spec.  For whatever reason, the firmware does something expecting certain behavior and end up with something else which the firmware programmers don't check for.  And so some units do ANC the correct way and others do not.  Even with the same firmware.  For those of you who program you know that when you make an API call, that you don't always check the integrity for every return value especially if there is no error code return.  It would make the code too complex.  I still believe from the data, this is what is happening here.

4. I do believe unless the moderators share otherwise, that Bose is done with their investigation and we should not expect them to follow my ideas to validate or invalidate them.  They have concluded that there is nothing 'wrong' with the ANC.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 16, 2020

@joelirwin
I agree to your final statement under point 4.

Since the investigation is done by Bose w/o solution, further endless discussion leads to nothing in this thread, the former thread nor elsewhere (3rd parties tests). What remains are frustrated 4.x upgraded customers so far.

The only way I can suggest to Bose at this point is to move forward with a new update version 5.x. bringing features requested by customers. That mainly includes NOISE CANCELLING SETTINGS with clearly noticable differences, according to what customers claimed in previous discussions:
Meaning not only NOISE CANCELLING (NC) but also stronger VOICE CANCELLING (VC) OPTIONS (like it was before firmware 4.x)! Remember, users in loud offices might give VC priorty while at work but different settings in other environments. Have a look at Sony and do it even better.

Simply give users the following:
1. ONE DEFAULT SETTING as a compromise balanced between NC and Sound Quality like now in version 4.x. (where current NC high and low makes no essential difference if any).

2. MORE ADVANCED SETTING OPTIONS for NC-LEVELS depending on environment noise and voice spectrum.

3. SOUND SETTINGS by equalizer (of course with on/off).
By the way my Android Bose app did a survey once, asking about satisfaction with noise cancelling, if equalizer is desired and more - so Bose should already have future plans to follow up - hopefully soon! or longer sooooooon?

APPENDIX:
Below is the frequently requested firmware version history published on Github:

Bose QuietComfort 35 II = BayWolf
◍ 2.0.1 : ?
◍ 2.1.3 : Sep 21, 2017
Fixes an audio dropout issue on iOS 11 during a Google Assistant response
Fixes and iOS issue where Google Assistant voice query is not played on headset while streaming music
Improves audio muting response time when the Action button is pressed to cue Google Assistant
Fixes an issue where A2DP audio might interrupt Google Assistant
Resolves some multi-point bugs
Improves OTA update process when a phone call comes in on the device
Resolves intermittent audio issues when paired to some Macs
Fixes intermittent audio issue when the headset is paired to Mac and mobile device in multi-point and Google Assistant is being used
Fixes an issue where voice dial does not work when changing the action button functionality from Google Assistant to noise cancelling
General Google Assistant bug fixes
◍ 2.2.0 : Dec 13, 2017
◍ 2.2.1 : Feb 08, 2018
Adds Music Sharing capability
Resolves some multi-point bugs
Fixes an issue where the phone ringtone volume is too loud even though the headset volume is set to low
Fixes some inconsistencies in LED behavior while on a call
Fixes the connecting error experienced by iOS users in the Bose Connect App when trying to connect
◍ 2.5.1 : Mar 14, 2018
Resolves an issue where the charging LEDs didn’t behave correctly post firmware version 2.2.1
Resolves an issue where the power down tones could be heard at random times
Improves pairing with the Bose Connect app
Resolves an issue where the headset could ignore the auto-off timer in the connect app
◍ 3.1.7 : ?
◍ 3.1.8 : Aug 06, 2018
Added support for Amazon Alexa virtual personal assistant
Security-related update to remove a bug which could allow an Android phone to connect via Bluetooth without user action
Stability improvements to Bose multi-point which allows you to maintain Bluetooth connections with two devices simultaneously
Performance and stability improvements to Bose Music Share which allows you to connect and share music playback between two Bose headphones
Fixes an issue that could require a power-cycle after using the auxiliary-input cable
Fixes an issue that could cause certain Voice Prompts to play multiple times
Improvements to the way the headsets, where supported, volume syncs with a mobile device’s volume
Other bug fixes to increase stability and improve performance
◍ 4.1.3 : Aug 06, 2018
This version was created to support the factory and has no end user facing changes. Our goal is to align the firmware version numbers again in the current months.
◍ 4.3.6 : Mar 06, 2019
aid the groundwork to support Bose AR – an innovative audio-only take on augmented reality (coming soon!).
Fixed bugs and did some general cleaning up under the hood.
Firmware 4.3.6 will require the use of the latest version of Bose Connect app (Version 8.0).
◍ 4.5.2 : Jun 18, 2019 ( Possible Issues 1, 2, 3, 4)
Improvements to music share
Bug fixes and improvements

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@wayne, please let us know what's on BOSE's roadmap next?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Prof 

1. We are about to hit a year since the last firmware update.  With Covid happening, I will be both surprised and impressed if we say any significant update in 2020.  And if there is an update it may only be bug fixes and 'ui improvements'.  Functional improvements - possible but imho lower probability.

2. Bose does not normally provide details in the release announcement.  Take for example, the recent Bose Connect upgrade (both of them) - no real details and when I asked for details, they never responded.

3. The QC35 cam out in 2016 and the QC35ii as you stated came out in the fall of 2017. The 700 has been out around a year.  As the QC35 ages, it gets closer to 'end of life' and there will be no further firmware updates.  We don't know when that will be (since Bose may need to market the QC35 if the 700 sales are not what they expect) but I wonder if we have already or approaching a point where firmware releases will be for minor changes and bug releases and that they have stopped functional enhancements.

4. Don't ask Bose here about the future.  They will not discuss anything until it is released.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 30, 2019

What is happening is what we all knew (or expected).

Even though there where a lot of complaints, also about the 'explanation / investigation' Bose has done, I could not see a satisfying solution on this matter.

Basically, Bose just said, 'You are all wrong, there is nothing wrong, now move along'.

The discussion is not 'pinned' anymore, and since we're talking in circles, no new post appear about this matter, so the thread slowly moves to oblivion. I suspect this is the strategy Bose takes.

I am so disappointed in Bose, how you treat your customers, in the way you support us, and in the way you're not open and honest about this matter.

Even though I really like the comfort of the QC35, (There is just no equal product on the market), I would not even consider buying Bose again in the future.

What a shame 😞

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@jbruggerWhen things are not pinned in a bulletin board/community/etc. the practice over the years has to create a post with just the text, "bump".  This will move the post to the top.  Not as good as pinned, but a way to keep it in say the first three screens.

p.s. - i just checked and this post/discussion is still pinned.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 30, 2019

Indeed it’s pinned again. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 9, 2020

@Wayne_M  I can remember when purchased my QC35ii and ANC was awesome! I couldn't hear my TV or even a person speaking in front of me! Same day I upgraded and ANC was completely changed... For sure there is something with the new firmwares, please let the customers decide which firmware they prefer to use and downgrade our product! I've heard some users using "changed" version of bose updater software and had success returning to old firmwares and getting back the old ANC! 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@michel pizzotoI don't work for Bose but as you are new, you have perhaps not seen all the discussion on this.  Bose has a policy (I believe for all it's devices) that goes back to 2018 I believe that it supports only the current version of the firmware.  You can not use any of their software to downgrade to a previous version.  If you see or work with a tool or procedure that does so, keep in mind it does not come from Bose. The QC35 has not been updated since 6/18/19 and based on this year + study you are now reading, I personally doubt anything will change in the next firmware release with regards to ANC.  In fat, I am guessing thanks to Covid, that there may not be another firmware release in 2020 (if it comes, I will be pleasantly suprised 🙂 ).

You only 'legal' option if the unit is under warranty is to return it and get another one which hopefully do not use 4.5.2.  Many stores like Apple, have had QC35 ii's on shelves for a long time and they probably don't have 4.5.2.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 21, 2019

Never heard of this issue until it happened to me.

It's truly the sign of a great company to dismiss the findings of thousands of your customers and absolve your product 100% of responsibility. I can't blame the 4.5.2 firmware rev because mine wasn't on it when my noise cancelling decided not to work as it did when it was new. I had no prior knowledge of this problem- just did a quick search and found a usergroup filled with customers having the same problem. I called technical support who were nice enough to replace my headset and it did work for a while but now we're back to square one. I can now listen to my music, my wife vacuuming in the next room and someone walking up the hallway. Voices that were before muffled and now clear as day. There's no difference between noise cancelling off and high...One of the ways I can tell something's not the same is the lack of "cabin Pressure" when turning on my headset. I have not messed with the ear cups or updated my headset since receiving my replacement (shipped with 4.1.3). If your study found nothing wrong then you weren't looking at the right thing so try again out of loyalty to your customers (?). Maybe try a bigger sample size this time.